We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Hi all,

I am going to Western Australia in Sept 2012.

I have completed my itinerary for this winter trip, but do need help to make it better.

My trip will be self driving

Day 1 - Perth Airport - MR (wine and cheese)

Day 2 MR - Augusta (Light house with all beaches)

Day 3 MR (chocolate and rest of attractions)

Day 4 busselton Whales watching - Rockingham

Day 5 Rockingham - Pinnacles 1 day self drive

Day 6 Rockingham - Fremantle/Perth (Farms and wildlife)

Day 7 Rockingham - Fremantle/Perth (Market, King's Park and beaches)

Day 8 -Rockingham - Perth Airport

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Hi Funny :))

Is there a particular reason you've chosen Rockingham to base yourself? Its not the usual location of choice for visitors. Or are you up for suggestions on that too?

Edited: 20 June 2012, 09:44
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Much of that itinerary looks painful to me.

What time do you fly in on day 1 ?

The majority of flights that come in from Asia are around dawn, which means you have had a long restless night on a plane and you now plane to get off the plane and do a 4 hour drive in an unfamilar vehicle on unfamilar roads.

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen in my opinion.

I would move the drive to MR to day 2. Do some of the Perth CBD stuff on day 1.

Day 5 is a very long day.

Day 6 - what farms ? Perth is a city, Fremantle is a suburb of that city. Farms you will find on your way to MR.

I would agree with AJ re the question about Rockingham. Its a long way from anything of interest - any specific reasons for your choice ?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Agree with PP on the inadvisability of leaping into a hire car on Day One and taking off to MR, and with both PP and AJ on the puzzlement of Rockingham. Given your choice of places to see, Rockingham is an odd choice of place to stay in. I would also note that the beach in September is more a place to look at than to swim.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 18:00
Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Actually I picked Rockingham as there's a nice and cheap accomadation there. The apartments with kitchen in Perth and nearby are really expensive or feedbacks are terrible. I did some google Map, where it show distance between Perth and Rockingham not very far away within an hour drive should be sufficient.

So I picked Rockingham for 3 reasons

1) Not very far away from Perth

2) Cheap and good accomadation with Kitchen as I love to cook

3) A central point to go up to Fremantle or Perth in WA

Our flight comes in the early morning 5am, where all 3 of us have licence to drive.But I will be the main driver. I am not able to sleep on plane so I agree wtih PerfectlyPerth that driving will be bad. But I will try to drive at 70km/hr as to be safe.If I am extremely tired we will just rotate around.

I am just not very experienced for driving to the Pinnacles trip, thus I am slightly worried.But i don't wish to go return the car at airport which is troublesome if we are to join tour bus.

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Maybe I used the wrong wording, it should be something like small farms where we can feed kangaroos or wambat

Actually I always wanted to see Great White Shark in Caged tours, but it's extremely expensive for us. Anyone got good recommendation for such at Western Australia at a lower cost?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,691 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

If you drive at 70kmh/hr all the other road users will

a) be extremely frustrated with you and/or

b do stupid things to get past you and possibly have/cause an accident. Don't drive tired in WA, too often it is fatal for locals and visitors alike.

As long as you keep your speed up and drive in daylight hours you should be OK for the Pinnacles.

Most of the roads are one lane in either direction so passing you will involve crossing over to the wrong side of the road.

The shark tours are in South Australia, we don't have reliable sources of Great Whites in WA.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

Places to see wildlife:

http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/

http://www.cohunu.com.au/

http://www.marapana.com/

http://www.peelzoo.com/

http://www.perthzoo.wa.gov.au/

What YF says is true. If you sit on 70kmh you'll soon have an aggressive truck driver sitting on your rear bumper. Country roads outside Perth have a 110kmh limit and you'll find most drivers will be sitting close to that speed.

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/ was in my list

Considering Rottnest Island thou as Penguin Island was closed till I leave

Haha.. Yes I agree about driving speed. I was at Brisbane few years ago, driving to Gold Coast and nearby. It's was a nice drive, in fact it's hard to keep to 110km to ensure you don't over drive.

Any suggestions for caves in MR? As I finally concluded on 3 caves, mammoth, jewel and Nagila (Not good at spelling)

Augusta trip seems abit thin thou, which will only burn out half a day

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

With the Augusta leg besides the lighthouse you can also include Hamelin Bay and check out the stingrays, stop at Boranup Forest (a beautiful section of Karri Forest with fantastic photo ops..theres a parking area just off the road which has a lookout platform) and if you're into galleries then the Boranup Gallery is a must do IMO. Jewel, Lake and Mammoth Caves are nearby to finish off the day. Or reverse the order so you end up in Augusta for a late-ish lunch.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 10:00
10. Re: 1 Week itinerary in Western Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2012, 15:05
Get answers to your questions about Western Australia