We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

Hi, looks likes I'm going to ask almost same q like Funny. I'm going to Perth this Aug with my husband for 6d5n. We are still unable to decide self drive for maybe 3days out from Perth CAT zone + 3d in freo + Rott + city; Or just rely on trains & buses throughout 6days.

I'm thinking below places but seems like not really possible to cover north & south, plus city.

CAT Zones:

@ Freo

@ Rott island

@ swan valley & city center (maybe can go to Joondalup, anything there?)

Out of Perth

@ kalbarri in N (if I go here, I'll cover sunset coast, Pinnacles; any other places that worth to spend total 3 days in north)

@ Albany in S (if I go here, then I can cover MR, Bunburry or Denmark)

*points of considerations

@ I want to spend half day in freo & another half in Rott. (or Shd I spend 2d?)

@ 6th day (sat) go around city center(my flight is 1950)

@ 1st day (Mon) arrive +-6am. Shd i do freo n Rott 1st? Or city center & keep freo for sat (last day of my trip, as that is the only weekend I hv)

(?) is it ferry ticket to Rott has 50% off on every Tue?Tue

@ I can only travel in one direction which is either go all the way north then back to city; or only south. It's impossible to cover both......

##why I wanted a vehicle (either campervan or motorhome) -> coz I want t save my $$ from accommodation. Do you think it will be more expensive as I hv no clue what is the diff between motorhome & campervan. Also, not yet include the powered site fee & fuel & perhaps entrance fee or parking fee.

Help me with this, pls. I jz hope I hv a vehicle that can include sleeping, shower & cooking.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

I am not sure what your heading "CAT zones" means.

The Cats are a free bus service just in a few streets in the CBD. They dont service the suburbs.

You may want to double check the transport website to know how the buses and trains work here before deciding to rely on them (as a non driver I can tell you I never rely on them !!).

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

If you are only here for 6 days total I would remove Kalbarri from the itinerary altogether.

<<<@ Albany in S (if I go here, then I can cover MR, Bunburry or Denmark)>>>

This is basically your entire 6 days !

I am going to suggest that the first thing you should do is bring up googlemaps or whereis and type in the various destinations to get a truer idea of the distances. It will give you a more realistic idea of what you can achieve in so few days.

Then take a look at the trip reports - link is on the top right side of this page. They too will make it more realistic as you will see what people achieved per day.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

Actually, I think it's transperth. I need to revisit my notes. I try to jot down whatever I come across but towards the end, everything is in pieces.

It looks like I can't go far from the city as i do not plan to give up Freo & Rott. With max 4days of time, what is the most suitable route?

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

It would be possible to squeeze in an overnighter to Margaret River which would give you an afternoon and the following morning to explore as much as you can. With a bit of careful planning you might be able to see some highlights of the region (beaches, a winery, maybe Busselton Jetty)

Perhaps spend the first few days doing Perth, Freo and Rotto using public transport and then somehow lump the MR overnighter and a daytrip to the Pinnacles or Swan Valley on consecutive days and hire a car for those areas.

Alternatively organise a hire car pickup from the airport, use it for exploring beyond Perth and then spend the final few days of your stay using public transport visiting Freo and Rotto.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

AJ, I get the quote for below for Aud316 + Aud29.

backpackercampervans.com.au/cheap-breezer-ca…

It doesn't include shower & toilet which I wonder if it advisable to hire a campervan which save my accommodation for few days or just hire a car + stay in hostel. I remember someone mentioned that we might freeze up due to the van wall is thin.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

Im a 'car & accommodation' type person so I cannot advise regarding a camper.

I'll let others comment

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

August is still pretty much winter. I would not want to be in a camper !!!!

It may have been Yorkie who did quite a good cost comparison between campers and car/hotel. There are a lot of additional costs involved in the camper - site fees etc.

There is tonnes of accom of all varieties and budgets in the SW and Aug is just before a peak season so there should be no trouble finding it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

I am not expert in WA as I am also planning for my Sept 2012 trip

But thought of providing my views from my research notes, thus take them with some caution.

From google map, Albany and Denmark seems quite far away which is another 4 to 5 hours drive if you intend to travel from MR.

I skipped Denmark as my friends are not really keen in Dinosaur bones and etc. But mainly is the total driving distance from MR and Perth

Few main points you might want to consider

1) Places like Fremantle Market only open on weekends

Hope it helps

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

Lol Denmark is a whole lot more than a small wildlife park with dinosaur bones. The Denmark Walpole region is full of stunning flora and fauna, amazing beaches, gorgeous Forrest's of rare tingle trees that grow nowhere else in the world, and so much more.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

Not to mention the dozens of wineries, the restaurants/cafes, the chocolate, the cheese, leatherworks, toffee, berry farms, Alpaca "stuff" blah blah blah...

Arguably the most picturesque town in the southwest.

Well...I reckon so anyway.

anyway...this of no help to the OP I think.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 08:26
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6D5N In Perth (20-25 Aug 2012)

While the campers linked to by Lynn are quite cheap, they will still need to be parked in caravan parks and without a shower and loo you will have to use the public amenities- which in winter at night could be really unpleasant, having to go out in the cold and wet. Getting the model with a shower and toilet would obviate this, but the actual van will still be awfully chilly in winter IMO. In addition, the toilet/shower model is over a metre longer and will be a pain to drive and especially to park and not easy to go touring in, plus has a minimum rental period of five days.

I don't know about you but I would find having to deconstruct the kitchen area and put up the bed every night, while doing everything in a space the size of a closet, not worth the financial tradeoff for four nights. I might consider it if it meant being able to travel for six months though :-)

Under the Terms and Conditions of the rental agreement you have to get the gas bottle and fuel tank refilled before returning the van. I'm not even sure where you'd go to get the gas bottle refilled, presumably there are places but you'd have to find one. IMO it would be warmer and easier if a little more expensive to hire a car and stay in chalets in the caravan parks.

Be Aware that if your licence isn't in English you will need to get an International Driver's Permit, which is essentially a document written in several languages including English attesting that you hold a suitable licence in your own country. The hire firm will most likely want to see it, and if you are stopped by police for any reason, they certainly will.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 11:44