We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Hi, I've booked the trip to do road trip in Winter

around WA. (Perth-> Margaret-> Albany->Esperance -> Hyden->Perth)

in around 7 days.

Can anyone comment how's the weather like at the end of July?

Is it rainy , cloudy ? or clear blue sky in winter?

Thanks

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Hopefully rainy, cloudy and will definitely be cold. With seven days you will be spending most of your time driving and not much looking with that itinerary . I suggest you trim it a little if that's all the time you have.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Blimey thats a 2 week drive not a 7 day drive!

And while we are all exceptionally skilled here - of you can find someone who can tell you what the weather will be like that far in advance - well you have located a genuis!

Its winter - it will be cold - especially down south. No one can predict if it will be grey cloudy rainy blue or fine.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

i trimmed Hyden off the list and extend 1 more day :

Day1 : perth to margaret river

Day 2 : margaret river to albany

Day 3 : albany

Day 4 : albany to esperance

Day 5 : esperance

Day 6 : esperance

Day 7 : esperance

Day 8 : esperance to perth

hopefully it's not gonna rain much :( , everything is paid for already lol.

thanks for replying this will be my first time in australia.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

I'd suggest an overnighter between Margaret River and Albany. Lots to see and do along this stretch.

Travelling between Esperance and Perth you go through Hyden anyway so you're not exactly trimming it off your list

Also be aware that Esperance to Perth is approx an 8 hour drive (non-stop). Its a very tiring drive so I tend to break it up into 2 hour sections with approx 1 hour breaks. Daylight hours in July are short so you'll need to plan this leg accordingly.

My crystal ball tells me you'll encounter rain :))

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

what's the rain like in July....is it like monsoon type? quick brief shower or a prolonged heavy rain throughout the whole day?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Depends on what mood the weather gods are in Stan.

We tend to get squalls, with short bursts of wind driven sideways "up your skirt" rain , but it's nothing worth fretting over. Rain is a very good thing here in WA, we gladly take all that we can get. I wish we could send some to my hometown in Colorado right about now. They're burning up...literally, with several large, uncontained wildfires gobbling up the forest and threatening homes.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

thanks for replyin guys , cheers

Edited: 27 June 2012, 03:25
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Seriously think about heading north and avoiding the worst of the winter storm fronts, falling trees etc. we have travelled south a lot and love all the country around denmark but you have set a very challenging drive target and driving in the dark here is no fun with stock, emus and kangaroos all happy to jump out in front of you. We are just back from a great trip up to kalbarri and monkey Mia from Perth.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Like there are no animals on the roads at night to the north. In fact we regularly recommend that visitors not drive in rural areas after dusk and before dawn at all, there are just too many traps for young players.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WA Road Trip in Winter (26 Jul - 5 Aug)

Hi Stan

Great to read you're heading to WA - you wont be disappointed!

This is a BIG itinerary in 7/8 days. I've grown up in WA and am honed to long drives but for the unitiated it can be very tiring and daunting. The drive from Esperance to Perth can be done in a day but I do suggest staying overnight on the way. Many country towns may have a motel or accomodation in the local pub. You may even find a bed and breakfast or a farmstay.

Esperance is stunning and has probably the most beautiful beaches in the world. Enjoy.

Do be careful driving at dusk and dawn as this is when the kangaroos are most active (but not normally on the move during rainy times). The weather will be what it will be, take care and slow down on the roads. Rainy times in our tall timber country, such as Walpole, Denmark and Pemberton, is gorgeous especially if you get accommodation near the big trees.

I wish for you a wonderful, happy and safe trip.