We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in WA in November

Leeds
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in WA in November

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Western Australia this November and are trying to plan the best itinerary with the time we have available.

I have family in Perth so won't need a place to stay in the city. They also have a place in Margaret River so that's covered too.

We do however want to drive both North and South and hopefully take in Coral Bay, Exmouth, Albany and Denmark.

Can anyone advise on the best way round to achieve everything and any tips in terms of travelling - assuming car is best?

Thanks

Mark

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in WA in November

I'd head north first, as the closer to summer, the hotter it becomes.

The drive to Exmouth and back is over 1,200 km each way. One way car rentals are very expensive, although driving one way and flying back makes sense otherwise.

If you're only interested in seeing Exmouth and Coral Bay though, flying in and out of Learmonth is the way to go. Learmonth is about ~35 km south of Exmouth and ~150 km north of Coral Bay. You can collect a car at the airport and self drive from there.

If you'd rather drive, there's quite alot to see on the way, but it's a LONG drive through some desolate country and there's a lot to consider, such as an accommodation shortage, distances between attractions, time, etc. We made the Perth-Exmouth drive and return a few years ago - details of our trip are here:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22664-Road_tri…

Albany is a five hour drive from Perth, and Denmark is about 40 minutes west of Albany. I'd suggest driving, as there's just so much to see and do down south. If you're already in MR, it would make sense to continue on to Denmark and Albany from there. You could take the more direct (and faster) return to Perth on the way back via the Albany Highway.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in WA in November

HI,

Another vote for flying from Perth to Exmouth (Learmouth Airport) & hiring a car to drive to Coral Bay.

WA is a huge State & it takes hours to drive from A - B with limited facilities. We visit WA numerous times a year due to business & we find flying between the cities/ towns is a good way to see this massive State.

Our last visit we flew down to Esperance & hired a car - which made a wonderful 3 day break. However; seeing you will be in the MR region it would be fairly easy for you to drive down to Esperance or Albany.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23867-Getting_…

Also book your accommodation in Coral Bay ASAP as its always busy...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g580525-s2/Coral-Bay:…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in WA in November

I am not being funny but I have to ask. I find it intriguing but when you have family in Perth, why ask this question on a public forum? Why not ask your family that lives here? Or have you asked and they don't know?

As I said, just wondering...

Mel & EM have both provided excellent answers and no need for my input...

Enjoy your trip.

Leeds
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in WA in November

Thanks all for your replies, lots to consider.

PerthiteOZ - usual when we plan trips we like to get recommendations from a number of sources to allow us to make sure we can set the right itinerary for our needs.

My family in WA have indeed provided their opinions and now we are in a really good position to make an informed decision on our trip!

Given the limited time we have in WA, we will definitely look at flying to Exmouth, then spend time travelling a bit slower around the Margaret River and Albany area.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in WA in November

Thanks for your response, tandorey.

Enjoy your holiday.

6. Re: 3 weeks in WA in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:16