We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Perth

Manchester
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Arriving in Perth

Debating the cost of hiring a camper van to check out post codes allowed to live in on visa compared with motel and car hire . Also the logistics of being a lone female traveller?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Perth

I'm not sure I understand the visa/post code part of your question.

In terms of being a lone female traveller, I think it depends where abouts you are planning to travel in Western Australia, or Australia in general. North, north-west of Perth has a lot of isolated stretches of road - I wouldn't suggest driving there alone (male or female). There are many other isolated areas around Australia too - it's a very large country with lots of isolated roads to travel. However, if travelling in and around the larger cities and along the more well travelled tourist routes being a lone female shouldn't be a problem.

Look at staying in hostels perhaps - these are not only cheaper than most motels, but you will meet other travellers (many also travelling alone) - this is a good way to make new friends, get good travel advice and tips, and sometimes you can 'hook up' with others to share parts of your trip. Caravan parks are another good option for cheaper accommodation and to meet other travellers.

'Tagging along' with another traveller (ie following them) is another way of increasing the safety factor. Look for those towing a caravan to follow - talk to them at the caravan park or petrol station and ask if you can 'tag along'. That way if you have probelms (eg car breaks down) there is someone to help you.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 22:54
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Perth

What postcodes will you be checking out ? You won't be able to just pull over in the streets and camp in the van so you will still need to budget for a bay at a caravan park.

I would agree that staying in hostels will be far cheaper and gives the solo traveller an opportunity to meet people.

Safety is no different to anywhere else - simply be aware of your surroundings etc.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Perth

What post codes are they? (Have to admit I don't understand that part.) They may be in the city which would make a campervan useless. If you tell us what they are we might also have some info on those areas.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 02:55
4. Re: Arriving in Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 06:16