We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

watoday.com.au/wa-news/tourists-three-day-bu…

This just highlights how important it is that travelers to remote areas of WA or any part of Australia for that matter be properly prepared and take the advice that is so often put on these forums.

IE:-

1) talk to local police before heading off somewhere. (No local would've gone to this area at this time of year but these fools did).

2) carry heaps of water (ie 5-10 liters per person per day in summer).

3) tell people where you are going and what you are doing especially your accommodation hosts. That way if you're not back on time they can alert the authorities.

4) if you are not an experienced 4WD (and conditions here in Australia are not like driving in snow), then don' t go off road!!!

5) Even if you just plan to drive along major roads in isolated areas please ensure you have a basic first aid kit, plenty of water and fill up at every opportunity. You can drive 800km here on blacktop and not see another vehicle and you certainly won't find a service station every 100km or have continual mobile phone coverage.

cheers

HP

Kimberley Wild Expeditions
Multi-day Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Day Trips
Absolute Ocean Charters
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Captain Cook Cruises
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Coastal Adventure Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

great advice!

and i see they started walking. i think the best thing to do, if u get into trouble, is stay with your vehicle.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

Advice is to STAY WITH THE VEHICLE. It is much easier to see a broken down vehicle than a person. If you wander off, no one knows which direction you have gone in either. Plus the vehicle can provide shade/shelter.

They were very lucky in this instance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

I have often wondered if this kind of advice is provided in the rental vehicle paperwork (in big print not fine!!) ?

Have only rented in the CBD so not sure what gets supplied in a regional rental.

I would have thought the RAC had a booklet of basic advice - especially notifying police, carrying water, and never ever leaving the car. - to be left in every vehicle - and actually ensure the companies point it out to the drivers.

I realise in all technicality no car rental coy has a duty of care - but unlike us - who grow up on this basic knowledge and so its second nature - the foreign visitor does not have that upbringing.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,141 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

Umm I dunno PP I think its not just foreigners who can be ignorant . I well remember a certain VERY prolific poster on this forum actually posting that they had taken that very road even though it was heading into wet season and the road had a CLOSED sign on it. But no they opened all the closed gates and ploughed on . And what a laugh it was!!!

Not so funny for our Swiss visitors though eh.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,762 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

Haha true. We can't do anything about idiot locals. But I think better advice and education by way of some kind of package in the vehicle would go a long way towards keeping newbie foreigners alive.

Of course if someone comes back and says yep a safety package is already in every regional rental - then I am first in line to slap the fools for not reading it !!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

The other thing would be to do as I do when I go 4WD and that is hire or buy an EPURB. They're aren't just for boaties.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

EPURB is the way to go.take plenty of water and stay with your vehicle

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

When we rented a campervan in Perth a couple of years back we didn't receive any printed information. But the staff at the depot emphasized several times the importance at all times carry at least 5 liters of water/person and in case of a breakdown NEVER EVER leave the vehicle.

I believe it's a cultural thing as well. The couple in the article was from Switzerland, a country where one can drive from border to border within a few hours so most likely they heavily underestimated the distances in (especially) WA. And apparently they didn't do their homework = reading the excellent advices found TA.

Coming from Sweden we're no strangers to huge distances but I wouldn't go on 4WD tour in outback WA without proper guidance, event though I have a fair amount of 4WD experience. But that's me, other seems more "adventurous" . Luckily everything turned out alright (this time..)

9. Re: Couple lucky to be alive in WA outback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:18