This just highlights how important it is that travelers to remote areas of WA or any part of Australia for that matter be properly prepared and take the advice that is so often put on these forums.
1) talk to local police before heading off somewhere. (No local would've gone to this area at this time of year but these fools did).
2) carry heaps of water (ie 5-10 liters per person per day in summer).
3) tell people where you are going and what you are doing especially your accommodation hosts. That way if you're not back on time they can alert the authorities.
4) if you are not an experienced 4WD (and conditions here in Australia are not like driving in snow), then don' t go off road!!!
5) Even if you just plan to drive along major roads in isolated areas please ensure you have a basic first aid kit, plenty of water and fill up at every opportunity. You can drive 800km here on blacktop and not see another vehicle and you certainly won't find a service station every 100km or have continual mobile phone coverage.