We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yanks in (Western)OZ !!!!!!!

Freeland, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Yanks in (Western)OZ !!!!!!!

Hello all,

My husband and I are planning on being in WA for three weeks in November (9-30). We really want to see the natural beauty part, and so were thinking of renting a caravan and heading out for three weeks exploring to the north, along the coast and some inland at a couple of national parks. I have started reading some questions on the Exmouth forum, and am trying to get a handle on weather, distances, things to do. Since we doubt we'll ever get back to Australia :-( we want to make the most of it, but not exhaust ourselves. Now I am starting to think it will be very hot (I thought that would be later in the season) and possibly a good chance of a cyclone-- we would love to go snorkeling some, hiking some, meeting and chatting with people some.

Would you be so kind as to offer your ideas of a good itinerary? Does a caravan make sense? Would a rental car and finding lower cost motels make more sense?

Thanks so much for any help you can give

Oz
Level Contributor
12,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yanks in (Western)OZ !!!!!!!

Hi,

Is WA the only state you are visiting or is there more to your trip? Realistically three weeks in WA will allow you to visit some of the icons between say Esperance and Broome, also visiting Margaret River, Perth and Exmouth entails a hell of a lot of driving, nearly 4000 klicks!!

I think you would be better to pick out some centres and fly between them. Rent a car to explore around each centre rather than drive, and drive and drive................

For some time I have been replying to those seeking information on a motor home holiday in OZ and NZ. I’ve taken the time to prepare my thoughts, beliefs and feelings on the subject. So here goes.

Motor home “holidays” are for those who enjoy the experience, in the same vein as there are those who enjoy self flagellation, solo round the world yachting and competing in ultra marathons. To each their own I say so long as they don’t interfere with me. Unfortunately driving a motor home does interfere with me if I’m amongst the unfortunates stuck behind one on a narrow twisty road and obviously their increased carbon footprint affects us all. The saving grace is when you see one stuck in the entry to a multilevel car park, broken down at the side of the road, broken into by the local crims when parked in a “free parking area”, or filling up at the servo.

Motor homes are more expensive than a rental car holiday and accommodation in motels/B&Bs/Hotels/on site cabins/hotels and even some resorts in Australia and NZ once the true costs are taken into account.

These direct costs include but are not limited to:

1. Rental.

2. Insurance.

3. Fuel (remember this is a truck with the aerodynamics of a house brick).

4. Site Fees.

5. Possible divorce proceeding for married or de-facto couples.

The human cost include but are not limited to:

1. The joy of truck driving, often in a foreign land on the “wrong side of the road”.

2. The wonders of living, travelling and sleeping in a space smaller than most kitchens.

3. The amenity of carrying your excrement with you.

4. The challenge of emptying the cassette containing the excrement.

5. The lottery of renting a motor home where not only the mechanicals are working (the bits that let you go, stop and steer) but also the peripherals such as heating, toilets, showers, cookers, fridges etc. The probability of having all of these disparate bits working at the same time fly in the face of both Murphey’s and Sod’s laws.

6. Point 5. from above.

7. The triumph of measuring the success of your trip by the length of the caterpillar train of happy motorists held up behind the mobile chicane you are driving.

Cheers,

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yanks in (Western)OZ !!!!!!!

Greetings from a fellow Yank living in WA.

WA is chock-a-block with natural wonders. Your three weeks will fly by.

November is generally a good month to visit, it's still wildflower season and it's not yet terribly hot, although it will be considerably hotter north than south. Cyclone season in the NW of WA runs from Nov- April. Not the best time to go up there.

We took a 17 day road trip from Perth to Exmouth and return a few years back - I've included the link to our itinerary which gives attractions and distances, and might help get you started.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22664-Road_tri…

NW WA presents its share of challenges, but you absolutely cannot go wrong going south. The weather will be nicer, and there's loads to do. If you change your mind about the NW, you might consider something like this instead.

Perth-Kalgoorlie (for a taste of the outback)-Esperance (for the best beaches in the state)-Albany (national parks out the wazoo), Denmark (more fab coastal scenery, beaches, bush)-Walpole (tree top walk, etc)-Pemberton (fabulous towering trees, forest walks)-Margaret River (caves, beaches, bush, wineries galore, food producers, etc)-then back to Perth via Busselton (nice place to stop on the way back for a stroll down the jetty and lunch).

OZRCFLYER has addressed the issues of caravan rental. With only two of you'd I'd think it'd be a lot less stressful to just rent a car and book accommodation. You don't need a 4x4, even up north, unless you plan to do some serious offroading.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 00:16
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yanks in (Western)OZ !!!!!!!

Hi. If you want to go up north then consider flying to Exmouth and then have the rest of your time in the southern part of the state.

Mel has provided a great itinerary for 2-3 weeks and once you firm up your destinations we can provide specific spots which are our favourites.

Rottnest Island is a possibility for snorkelling. If you have a wet suit top then bring it as water could be a bit nippy in the south- though many people are swimming then.

Yes car might be easier and given it's not school holidays, you might be able to wing it re accommodation to give yourselves flexibility. Whilst uni students and final year students might be in Rottnest and In the south you could work around them.

Had friends stay in cabin In caravan park which they really enjoyed for a week.

http://www.holidayalbany.com.au/

This should give you an idea of prices and what's on offer if you choose not to take a caravan.

4. Re: Yanks in (Western)OZ !!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 05:17