We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia in january?

Erlangen
Level Contributor
94 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Western Australia in january?

Hi,

is january a good time to come to Western Australia, or is it overcrowded because of the school holidays? I would arrive mid of january and would stay for 3 weeks. I would like to do a guided tour to the south west (south from Perth and Esperance) and a tour to Kalbarri and Monky Mia.

I don't like crowded national parks and crowded nature.

Or are the most people at the east coast for holidays?

best regards,

bima

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Australia in january?

The South West of WA is extremely popular in January. It will be very busy. Further north, not so much due to heat, flies and possibility of cyclones.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Australia in january?

I often am in Albany in January. Not really that busy. So many places are not that crowded- many beaches and national parks with very few people. Not sure about guided tours. Is there a reason why not travel independently?

Wouldn't like to go north at that time of year- too hot for me.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,972 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Australia in january?

Kalbarri was actually cooler than Perth around Christmas time according to friends who went there, but that was an anomaly as Christmas in Perth was a stinker. Usually the heat doesn't get going until January/February.

While the actual parks may not be heaving, accommodation will be tight so book early.

As Jean asks, why guided tours? At least with self drive, if you do find a place is too crowded for your liking you don't have to stay.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Australia in january?

I'd say it depends where you are coming from and what you consider crowded. For example, I live near the beach. I walk my dog there. I am often the only person on the beach. I consider meeting 10 other dog walkers as the beach being crowded. I'd say in global terms, my local beach is never crowded, even on a stinking hot public holiday.

Cyclones very rarely come down as far as shark bay or kalbarri, but it will probably be hot in January up there. On the otherhand, you are right next to the beach.

Erlangen
Level Contributor
94 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Australia in january?

Hi,

I will take a guided tour, because I'll travel alone and don't want to drive a car (wrong side for me).

I've been several times in Australia and I love it. but I've never been there during the school holidays.

So I'm a bit afraid of busy and noisy national parks. And long queues everywhere.

I don't have a problem with hot temperatures, I like it :-)

Edited: 02 May 2013, 14:27
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Australia in january?

I don't think you will find Western Australia very busy at all during any time of the year, particularly in comparison with other places in the world. As I am married to a teacher, we always travel in school holidays, and sometimes the accommodation options can be limited (as mentioned previously), but I would not say our national parks are ever noisy or busy. We have a lot of space here and not many people, it is extremely easy to find a nice quiet beach or national park at any time throughout WA. Queues are never an issue either. Probably the only places that will be busy will be the shopping centres, with the post-Christmas sales! Heat might be the only problem for you, particularly up north, but Albany & Esperance can be quite cool and rainy in January.

Erlangen
Level Contributor
94 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Australia in january?

Hi Tina,

I'm astonished what you write about the weather. Isn't that the warmest and drieest time of the year?

Do you think there is a better month for travelling to the south west?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western Australia in january?

Albany and Esperance can be quite cool and rainy for a lot of the year, as they are on the far south coast of Western Australia. It can be 35 degrees in Perth and 21 and drizzly in Albany on the same day in January, or you might get beautiful weather at both! The weather in places like Margaret River is probably more similar to Perth, although usually a few degrees cooler.

We travelled to Albany about four years in a row in January, three years we had rain, cool days and overcast skies, and one year we had perfect beach weather! We were in Albany just over a week ago, and the weather was warm and lovely! Travelling to the South West in Autumn (March, April) can be really lovely! The average temperature in Albany in January is 21 degrees, Esperance is 26 degrees, and Perth is 31 degrees, so that gives you a bit of an idea about what to expect. I think Albany weather is a bit unpredictable, so I don't think that should guide your decision about when to come based purely on that.

Hope that helps!

Tina.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western Australia in january?

Bima if you check a map you will get an idea of how large WA is. No state this large will have the same climate the length and breadth of the entire land mass.

That time of year is the wet season and cyclone season in the north and summer in the south - but the far south west has its own personal weather system !

10. Re: Western Australia in january?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:18