We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

I have had tremendous help planning my south west trip but have a Sunday to Wednesday morning free before I meet my husband to start that adventure. I would love to head north of Perth for a couple of days, preferably not driving - happy to bus tour or public transport. I would love your suggestions for an itinerary please.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

What about Kalgoorlie? Yes it is east, not north. You can get the train and there are day tours you can join. I have been there by myself and really enjoyed the place.

Alternatively I wonder if there is a wildflower tour for a few days to the mid west eg places such as New Norcia, Wongan Hills, Mullewa and so on. Not sure if they run only in September.

I am not particularly enamored with what is on offer between Perth and say Geraldton, though am sure others on this forum will have other views!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

On second thoughts maybe Kal is too far for that length of time. I would quite fancy a nice B&B in somewhere such as York. Guess depends on your interests and budget so helpful if you can give us an idea on these. Relying on public transport or tours also restricts the itinerary.

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

For our 3 week trip we are heading out to Kalgoorlie and doing the loop around to Margaret River and back to Perth so that's why I am looking north / north east. If a car will be the better way to get around, it is no problem to hire one early. I will have a look at York and I do love a good b&b which is what I am planning for the rest of the trip.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

You won't get very far north with so few days, but you might consider going as far as Geraldton, which will take you through Cervantes (home to the Pinnacles, Nambung National Park, which I personally found fascinating and unique) and Dongara, which is a pretty little seaside town. Geraldton is underrated IMO, plenty to see and do there, but it's a five hour drive from Perth.

I never have understood the attraction of York, but if we all liked the same thing the world would be very boring indeed.

Northeast you'll find the Perth Hills which is full of interesting things to see and do and plenty of national park and reserves, but it's one of those areas you'll need to research before you go, or risk missing quite a lot.

Then there's New Norcia, Australia's only monastic town, which is very interesting, and an easy day trip from Perth. A definite 'must do' IMO.

5. Re: Itinerary help - Perth northward October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Western Australia