We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia road trip with 3 year olds

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Western Australia road trip with 3 year olds

Hi everyone! I am planning a trip to WA in May next year and we will be bringing our 3 year old twins along. For them, the main attraction would be farmstays and exploring the parks/playgrounds along the way, whilst for us it would be wineries and beaches/stunning views.

I have 10 full days (excluding flying in and out) and was thinking of spending a few days in Perth and then heading down to Margaret River. Anyone has a suggestion of an itinerary that can meet all our interests? How far down should I go... I would like to include Denmark and Albany too but am afraid that it would be too cramped (bearing in mind the two young ones will make the schedule unpredictable). So prefer a leisurely itinerary where we don't have to stay overniht in too many different places along the way.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Western Australia road trip with 3 year olds

I'd say Fremantle probably fits the bill better as regards your metro base. There's lots of cottages and apartments for short term rent.

Safety Bay
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Western Australia road trip with 3 year olds

I would head straight to Busselton while the kids are fresh. There are several holiday villages between Busselton and Dunsborough which make a good base to do short trips from. The standard of accomodation is good and they have great play facilities for young children. There is plenty of range in accommodation, but they do book up quite early for WA holiday periods. There are also plenty of scenic "pit stops" on the longer drives to let them have a stretch.

Safety Bay
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Western Australia road trip with 3 year olds

Also agree that Fremantle is a better metro base. There's a better range of accommodation, and a regular train service to Perth. There's a free bus service within the city, and you can get the ferry across the river to South Perth and the zoo. As to the drive south, you can see some of the beaches on the way if you go through Mandurah and the "coast" road rather than Forrest Highway, then take the side roads out to places like Myalup and Peppermint Beaches. Admittedly, this would add about an hour to the trip.

14. Re: Western Australia road trip with 3 year olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 06:21