We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

Hi folks,

My family and I (2 in their 50s and 2 in their 20s) will be going to Western Australia (Perth) from 13 December 2013 to 20 December 2013.

Below is my itinerary that I have planned and I would like to seek advices and recommendations. Please share if you have any good accommodation for 4 adults.

We will be self-driving throughout the entire trip.

Day 1(13/12/13) - Arrive Perth Airport at 1840, pick up car and head towards Fremantle for a night stay. I was wondering if we should stay in Perth area or head down to Fremantle upon arriving on that day.

Day 2(14/12/13) - Explore Fremantle and thinking whether to stay at Fremantle or Rockingham for a night before heading down to Margaret River the following day.

Day 3(15/12/13)- Stop over at Mandurah for the dolphin quay and not sure if it will be worth it to take the dolphin cruise? After that, we will be stopping at Busselton for the jetty and observatory before heading to Margaret River for accommodation for the night.

Day 4(16/12/13)- Heading to Hamelin Bay, Cape leeuwin lighthouse, chocolate factory and cape lavender. Deciding whether to stay at Margaret River or head back up to Perth.(Thinking of staying at Cervantes but the drive there seems crazy as it is very far).

Day 5(17/12/13)- heading towards Cavershem Wildlife Park, Emu Downs Wind Farm, Lancelin Beach and Pinnacles Desert for the sunset.(However need advise on where to park the car at Lancelin in order to play Sand Slide as we are self-driving).

Day 6,7(18/12/13-19/12/13) - Explore Perth, any good recommendations?

Day 8(20/12/13)- Returning the car at 1700 and depart back to Singapore at 1940. (Wondering if we should rent a car for the whole journey or return the car on day 6 when we reach Perth).

Thank you in advance for your kind advices.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,336 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

Firstly, have you investigated accommodation? You're getting into peak period here and there might not be as much around as you think.

Staying for your first two nights in Fremantle would not be a bad move.

Yes, it's crazy to drive from MR to Cervantes if you're not used to long drives IMO. Also, you won't have time to get there before dark when the roos come out. Be away from MR by about 5pm for the safest driving option, you'll be on the outskirts of Perth by the time it gets dark so less chance of hitting a roo.

I hope you are planning to overnight in Cervantes after the sunset because there will be quite a lot of roos and other wildlife on the roads after dark. Hitting one will dent the car, your morale and your pocket. Come back the next day when it's full daylight.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

Agree wIth Yorkfoodie's points. Your plans might be influenced by accommodation availability. Stay 2 nights in Fremantle. Easy to get on Freeway to head south. I would have one more day in Margaret River region and cut from Perth as you can 'do' main attractions of Perth in a day-lots for tourists in MR and think your 20 something's will love that area. Long day planned for Caversham and Pinnacles.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 11:39
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

If you're not totally exhausted from your fairly busy itinerary, then I would recommend a trip over to Rottnest Island (quickest accessed by ferry from Freemantle, but can be done from Perth). Cycle or bus to the many different beaches there - a bit of down time maybe :)

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the comments and advices! I will be heeding your advices, and below is my final itinerary.

For the first night, I will be staying near the airport and will be exploring Fremantle the next day before heading to Mandurah for accommodation for the second day. After which, I will be staying at Margaret River for 2 nights and then I will drive back up in the late morning in order to catch the sunset at the Pinnacles as well as check into Cervantes. I will travel back down to Perth the next morning and on the way, we will be visiting Lancelin and Cavershem Wildlife Park. We will spend our last two days exploring Perth.

Thank you once again!

Edited: 17 November 2013, 12:48
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

If you haven't already done so please try to find out the conditions/access to Lancelin dunes. We didn't go there but have been near dunes elsewhere and got bogged. We were travelling along a formed track that suited 2wd (we thought it did) - soft windblown sand across tracks can be deceving.. Perhaps contact the Gingin shire for advice beforehand?

…wa.gov.au/index.php/tourism-and-information…

Edited: 18 November 2013, 00:02
6. Re: Need advise for Itinerary for 8D7N Western Australia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:17