We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ningaloo Reef Dugong

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
14 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Ningaloo Reef Dugong

Hi

We are looking at visiting Ningaloo Reef in early February next year, I was wondering what the likelyhood of seeing Dugongs would be?

We had originally thought of going to Monkey Mia to see them - but Ningaloo seems to offer a better all round experience of snorkelling etc.

The Dugongs would be our primary reason for going though so if there is no chance we will rethink and go somewhere else. Our itinerary allows 3 or 4 nights, would this be enough/too much/ too little for the area? I know this is very vague, we will be looking for dugongs primarily and then doing some snorkelling etc, but we are also going to the Whitsundays on this holiday.

We will fly in from Perth.

Any other information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

Rottnest Island Nature Reserve
Beaches, State Parks, Biking Trails, Hiking Trails, Reefs
Blue Holes
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water, Reefs
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ningaloo Reef Dugong

Dugongs are more common between March and June, but no guarantees.

I suggest you contact the Exmouth Visitors Center to see if they can help:

http://www.exmouthwa.com.au/

2. Re: Ningaloo Reef Dugong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17