We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

Wife and I are going in January for 2 weeks. We want to book a vehicle for a 10 day loop up the coast from Perth to Exmouth and back. On the return trip we will pop inland a bit for some backroads sightseeing. We will be spending most of the time camping in the vehicle and were hoping for some review on these vehicles as well as notable campsites and trails to visit along the way.

Note: On the scale of "roughing it", we can live without most modern conveniences save for TP, god knows nothing is worse than "crusty-butt"! We dont mind meeting fellow adventures along the way and sharing a good whiskey or two, I will be bringing good bourbon and rum. We are both athletic, active, and have experience navigating trails with 4WD vehicles. We will be leaving our stuffed carrot at home.

VEHICLES:

autorentals.com.au/vehicles/4wd-camper-hire/…

autorentals.com.au/vehicles/…bushcamper-4wd

autorentals.com.au/vehicles/…challenger-4wd

Any tips or feedback is greatly appreciated!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,336 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

Whatever you choose, be aware it will be quite hot and getting into cyclone season so check the weather before you go or you could end up staying longer than you planned :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

Any particular sights that are a must hit? From what I gather online pretty much the whole damned coast is "must-see" I would like to narrow it down to a few places we might want to spend a day. Any idea on what are the more scenic (and/or popular) stops for camping overnight?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

How well do you tolerate the heat Michael? I can't imagine heading north that time of year, let alone camping! It's seriously hot, humid and as mentioned already, cyclone season to boot. And don't forget the flies.

Not to mention, ten days isn't a whole lot of time to travel that far and back - we spent 17 days doing a similar trip, clocking well over 4,000 km (in cool weather mind you) and that just about did us in.

Here's our itinerary, with drive distances and things to see/do along the way, it might help get you started (although personally, I think January is a really bad idea).

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i22664-Road_…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,202 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

Agree that you need more realistic amount of time and a different time of year. As locals we wouldn't be risking definitive plans during cyclone season.

For legal camping spots check the RAC.com.au website. Very detailed info including locations of petrol stations and available facilities.

Whiskey, bourbon and run generally don't mix well with arduous road trips. Remember you are sharing the roads with people who want to stay alive.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 12:39
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

We are from Singapore and live in a house where we never turn on the A/C. Heat is not that big of a deal for us.

I have driven across the US from NY to San Diego in two days numerous times but this trip is supposed to be more relaxing. so Perhaps we scale back a bit. Not looking to hit all the spots and planned on 6-8hrs of driving on each leg. Recommended itineraries are very welcome!

Dont worry about the booze. We plan on drinking only after setting up camp. We are both in the booze trade hence the bottles.

Cyclones.... damn. Ok, cant change the dates its the only time I have to go on holiday for the whole of next year. Perth is our plan but we really wanted to go camping, see stars, do a bunch of swimming, and generally not be in a city.

Thanks for the heads up so far guys. Keep it coming!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

You could do all on your wish list south of Perth as well Michael - no cyclones, cooler temps, shorter travel distances, and a whole lot more to see IMO.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

Agree- I wouldn't be heading north in January but each to their own. Certainly wouldn't be considering going inland to say Gascoyne Junction.

With 10 days you could consider the Esperance region- gives you everything you are after. Great remote locations, beaches, clear skies and wonderful flora. Being on the south coast the weather can be variable- from stinking hot to cool. Ellmay has given a great Go-to list on Esperance on this forum. If you consider this region then book what you can as locals do go camping in these places during school holidays.

Wherever you go in WA in summer take water and have sun protection. Watch for kangaroos on the road at dawn and dusk.

8. Re: 4WD Rental: Vehicle Comparison & Locations Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18