We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

Hi

We live in Perth but have never seen the South of WA, except Margaret River, But have planned a week( 9days) road trip from Perth to Kalgoorie to Esperance to Albany and finishing in Margaret River the following weekend.

I know it a bit of a drive, but we have 9 days, but I'm just wondering does anyone have any particular sight to see along the way or anything that a must see/do. And how long your would reccommend staying in each place, or if there is any place inbetween that are worth seeing, were pretty flexiable.

We both quite active and love walks, beach, forrest, as well as love cultural/historical sights.

Thanks so much for all your help

VIcky

38 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

Hi Vicky -

We took a similar trip a few years back. I have a detailed trip report posted on another travel site, but I can't post the link here. Happy to send you the link if you'd like, just post back here or send me a PM if interested.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

If you are going to Albany, go a bit further on to Denmark and visit Green Pools on the coast.

The coastal drive from Albany to Augusta is also very scenic, especially around the Nornalup Inlet.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

I agree with Kerry find time to visit Denmark - it is only 53 kms toward Perth as you are going clockwise from Perth via Kal.

Your suggested route OP is one of the first I did as a child, newly emigrated from the UK. I will never forget it. We took 12 days.

This site may help:

australiasgoldenoutback.com/travel-destinati…

Don't overlook Coolgardie on the way to Kal ... and don't underestimate the journey between the major towns...

Take a full day driving to Kal, book 3 nights accommodation then move on to Esperance, another full day driving and 2 nights for Esperance then on to Albany, full day, 3 nights accommodation...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

Hi Vicky..... I have travelled these regions several times so given your 9 days I would do a goldrush bus tour around Kal so that's a day to get there ... a day around Kalgoorlie.

Third day drive to Esperance . Spend three days here. The coastal scenery and swimming is totally delightful. Do a day trip out to Cape Le Grande and climb that. The view is spectacular.

Another day goes just getting across to Albany enjoy the drive by taking a picnic lunch with you and go via the Stirling ranges .... the drive through there is stunning.

A drive up to the lookout in Albany is worth it and there are several tours and activities in Albany which will take care of two more days.

Crikey now you have run out of time so best be heading home :)

Devon,England
Level Contributor
43 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

I am planning a very similar trip for early April, so was pleased to see these posts! Melnq8, I would also love to see your report if possible please! I am gathering as much info as possible at the moment, and all these replies are very helpful to me too! Thank you.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

You've got mail Miss Sunshine

Devon,England
Level Contributor
43 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

Cheers Mel, that's great! It is very helpful. Although all the talk of flies and snakes gives me the shivers!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

I'm glad to have read this thread because we are planning the same trip early February for a bit more than 2 weeks. Melnq8, I'd be happy too to read your trip report ! Thanks in advance.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

Done, hope it helps.

10. Re: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 16:37

Reply to: Road Trip from Perth- Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted