We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravan Insurance Coverage

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Caravan Insurance Coverage

I've seek for quotation from one of campervan compny..in the package i got covered to nil liability..however they mentioned that single rollover is not included and can be purchased additionally..

need some1 to explain..i thot nil liability will cover all events..why rollover is separate?is it common? Is it necessary to take?bcoz the price of rollover coverage is much expensive i wonder why..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage

You aren't actually hiring a caravan are you? You are hiring a campervan or motorhome?

A single roll over may happen for a number of reasons. The most common IME is when an inexperienced (or inattentive) driver allows the vehicle to drift on to the road shoulder - the red gravel by the side of the road - which then makes the vehicle unstable. If travelling at speed, the vehicle may slew sideways and the driver panics. Instead of turning into the slide, they fight against the vehicle and end up fish tailing and ultimately rolling. Or hitting trees/bush/scrub and flipping.

Remember the centre of gravity in a motorhome is higher than that of a standard sedan. This can make them unwieldy, especially in high winds.

Never swerve to avoid wildlife.

There are many scenarios which can cause single vehicle roll overs. The vehicle will normally be a write off and motorhomes/campervans are not cheap to replace.

I suggest reading up on driving on gravel and country roads, even though you probably won't intentionally go on to gravel roads with a hire vehicle. More people die on country roads than city ones in Australia and many of them in WA are tourists. Sad but true.


Edited: 07 February 2014, 00:14
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage


It makes me scared to hear that.

I am hiring a campervan

but your country side road is in great condition and not too busy right? If driving in normal allowable speed i'm sure accident can be prevented.

Then personally do you think necessary to get covered for rollover? Is it common for all campervan compny to put rollover in separate coverage? My concern is the premium rate is triple from normal liability..if it's not necessary i rather exclude it

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage

"but your country side road is in great condition" Ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Excuse me.

Country roads can vary from good to extremely average, even major ones. Few if any will have curbing at the edges so it's easy to go off the edge onto the dirt if you're not paying attention. None have street lighting. Many, especially in the southwest, are narrow and one lane in either direction with no median divider. Passing can be dangerous.

"Busy" depends on where and when. Peak times in the south west roads can get quite congested.

As Perthite points out, the main cause of rollover is getting one set of wheels on the dirt then panicking or swerving to get back onto the bitumen. My (traffic policeman) husband told me years ago, if you get onto the dirt, just drive gently back, even if you see a white post looming. It's better to hit the white post (and the next ten, if necessary) than to swerve and lose it, and total the car, and possibly yourself.

Also, don't drive towards or after dark, because the critters come out. Swerve to miss them, and in a top heavy campervan, you could come to grief.

Rollover coverage is up to you.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage

It is common in Australia for car and campervan rental insurance to exclude single vehicle accidents. That's how insurance companies protect themselves from poorly trained, inexperienced drivers in unfamiliar vehicles on unfamiliar roads.

Your options are to accept the risks or to insure against them.

If you choose to accept the risks without insuring against them, those risks are entirely yours, Sal S,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage

"...but your country side road is in great condition and not too busy right? "

what YF said above...

" If driving in normal allowable speed i'm sure accident can be prevented. "

Note I stated "inattention and inexperience" as major causes of accidents. See speed limits below. Particularly note the ones I have highlighted with ****.

Single lane bitumen road with red shoulder on each side....vehicle coming the other way at 110kmh - what will you do?

From www.police.wa.gov.au

"40 km/h zones apply in areas with high levels of pedestrian activity, such as shopping centres

on some roads outside schools, permanent 40 km/h speed limits are in place

time-based speed limits outside schools apply as displayed on the speed signs

the default speed limit is 50 km/h

speed signs are not displayed on all roads in built-up areas. In these cases, the default speed limit is always in effect

speed limits on many arterial roads are posted by the appropriate speed limit signs and can range from 60 km/h to 90 km/h

the default speed limit for freeways is 100 km/h unless zoned otherwise

variable electronic speed limit signs also operate throughout Western Australia

**** the default speed limit for open areas is 110 km/h. This applies on roads outside built-up areas

**** the derestricted speed zone limit is 110 km/h and this applies only to areas as signposted outside the metropolitan area."

As YF says, what insurance you take is totally up to you.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 07:55
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage

From your other posts, I gather you are planning to drive for 1000++ km in three days having never driven a campervan before? You seem to have also never driven on Western Australian roads before and so are unfamiliar with road conditions and driving 'culture' in Australia. Is that correct?

Have you considered renting a small car and staying in onsite vans or cabins at caravan parks?

Not only cheaper but safer for you and other road users, I think.

7. Re: Caravan Insurance Coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:20