We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

Barcelona
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

Hello guys, a couple of quick easy questions I hope not to be re-asking for.

Having 3 weeks for Western Australia, for which we'll dedicate 1 to Perth and the South-west, I was wondering whether there was any interesting alternative route to drive back to Perth from Port Headland. We have decided not to get to Broome due to the massive distances, so we are heading north via the National Route 1 along the coast, which I reckon is the most interesting to get to the Pinnacles, Ningaloo, Exmouth, etc. Google Maps actually gives the National Highway 95 as the shortest way back. Is that better than repeating our way back along the coast? I am done about the driving-distances discussion in WA, and I know the plan is to drive a lot, but we have to...

Thanks mates!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,328 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

While I appreciate you have cut Broome due to time constraints, I'm not sure why you have decided to go as far as Port Hedland (note spelling, this will help in Googling). Personally I think you could stop at Exmouth and then head back to Perth without missing a whole lot (except for a lot of empty landscape on either side of the road). Is there something in particular you wish to see at Port Hedland?

What time of year are you coming? Weather makes a difference.

While Highway 95 is the shorter route back from Port Hedland, you need to keep in mind that the stops are very few and far between and possibly not overwhelmingly interesting.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

That's is a good answer, thanks mate!

I thought the landscape kind of changed into the "Red" look once you head further north Exmouth, but I guess I have to reorganize a little bit the route, since your advice seems reasonable. I wish I had the time to get to Broome, but I think it's not the case, and anyway, I would still need to repeat the route along the coast down to Perth if the Hw 95 has nothing really attractive on its way.

Sorry about my spelling mistake for Port Hedland.

We are going there between the 15th of April till the 6th of May. Heading to the southwest of WA first trying to squeeze all that area before the weather changes down in the south, so we are hoping for some beach days in the middle of April;)

Cheers.-

3. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 07:05
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

Accommodation between 12th and 27th of April will be in v high demand. Its school holidays as well as Easter and Anzac day long weekend thrown in for good measure, so I hope you have sorted where you are staying already.

I agree with YorkFoodie - Port Hedland is very much a mining town, not that much for tourists really, your time (and petrol!) will def be better spent between Perth and Exmouth.

Highway 95 is shorter therefore more road trains and trucks use it. Its largely rural areas which will be very dry at this time of year. the coastal route has more to offer for tourists.

Qantas has flights between Exmouth and Broome.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 02:20
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

<I thought the landscape kind of changed into the "Red" look once you head further north Exmouth>

Plenty of 'red look' within a 90 minute drive of Perth, no need to drive to Port Hedland for that :-)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,328 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

Repeating the drive back isn't necessarily a bad thing, as you can jig your itinerary to stop at some places on the way up and different ones on the way back down, so as to not have too many tops slowing you down in any one day. Makes more sense really.

7. Re: Perth-Port Headland (altern. route to the coast going back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Western Australia