We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Hello,

I want to rent snorkel gear for 2 weeks & drive with it, but my problem is I don't get back into Perth until very late before departure, like 22:00 or later. I can't find a rental facility that allows for late drop-offs. Anyone aware of one, from Perth north to around Geraldton?

Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,273 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

For the price of two weeks' rental, would it not be cost-effective to just buy some gear and leave it behind? I'm asking out of curiosity, I have no idea how much the gear costs to rent or buy, but it just seems to me it can't be all that expensive compared to two weeks' rent.

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Good point. It's gone either way. Guess I hate the idea of buying & leaving it all, but it's too costly to mail home & can't take it with me to haul around Japan.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Snorkel gear = flippers, mask and snorkel. Buy them from a Outdoor/Dive Shop as a job lot , certainly not expensive.

Interested in where you will be snorkelling and when? Geraldton down to Perth - not reknown for snorkel spots IME...

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Thanks for the advice. I found the Dive Academy in Perth to rent but can't drop-off after hours, haven't looked into the cost of buying yet.

The locations I have in mind are a couple reef protected areas along Esperance's south coastline, possibly some beaches east of Esperance (though they don't look protected), maybe the Elephant Rocks area, it looks like there might be a little protection north of Perth at Green Head, Port Gregory looks to have some protection, then there's a remote lagoon halfway between Port Gregory and Kalbarri (if we can reach it), guess I might skip Shark Bay (but thinking of renting a kayak for a bit so ?), then Ningaloo. I've never been there so I don't know what to expect, I've only used Google Earth to explore the coastline. I'm guessing the southern coast will be too windy/rough to snorkel, & the other parts maybe the same... but do know I definitely can't snorkel if I don't have any gear. We might just rent in Ningaloo area, but I'll kick myself pretty hard if I find another location & don't have any gear.

I welcome any insight you want to share.

Thanks for the help so far.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Best easy access snorkelling just off the West Aus shore I have found was at Turquoise Bay (Ningaloo Reef) just out of Exmouth. There is a (strong) current running north along the shore so you can even get a free ride over the reefs and fish, then get out, walk south along the beach again then go in and do it again.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g488342-d2…

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Thanks for that. I plan to go there & Coral Bay. Forgot to say I'll be there late March, 1st half of April.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

Trust you are aware of the distances you intend to travel. Perth to Esperance: 740km / 460miles in the South East of the state. All day driving to get there. Then heading north means several days to get to Exmouth, As much as Esperance is a terrific spot am wondering whether you shouldn't just spend you time travelling north.

There's also snorkelling spots on Rottnest which might interest you.

rottnestisland.com/about/beaches-coastal-act…

Be safe driving these long stretches.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

www.prodive.com.au/Shop_Category.asp…

9. Re: Snorkel rental I can't drop-off after hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18