We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Googlemaps sufficient for GPS while driving?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Googlemaps sufficient for GPS while driving?

Hihi,

Will be renting a car while I am there. Will googlemaps through the mobile be sufficient for GPS? Or should I get a dedicated GPS unit? Googlemaps seem to be more updated in certain places as compared to gps units.

I will be heading to Margaret River, Fremantle and Perth city itself.

Thank you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Googlemaps sufficient for GPS while driving?

Unfortunately most of the networks are best near the bigger towns where there are the most people, and as you are probably aware by now, Western Australia is really huge. The reception the further you go north of Perth is even more patchy, because the vast majority of people in WA live in Perth or the south west area where you have been travelling.

Thanks for your candid comments. The Telstra network is usually better in country areas but I would have hoped that Optus had put up more towers and was a bit better by now. At least we can advise people accordingly in future!

12. Re: Googlemaps sufficient for GPS while driving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:17