We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching and wildflower

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching and wildflower

Hi,

I would be travelling with my parents on September.

1. I need to know where is the best location for whale watching on that time

2. I would like to integrate a few wildflower / hiking trails into my itinerary (simple trail suitable for elderly).

3. Is wave rock and pink lake worth the long hour drive?

4. Any vineyard or wine tasting tour to recommend? We would like to have a tour to understand the wine making process, is it possible?

My preliminary itinerary

Day 1: Arrive

Day 2: Rockingham Swimming with dolphins and Penguin Island Tour

Day 3: busselton jetty, Margaret River - wine tasting (Need suggestion)

Day 4: Giant Tree Top Walk (Need suggestion )

Day 5: Albany wind Farm (?, need suggestion)

Day 6: caversham wildlife park

Day 7: Pinnacles & Lancelin

Day 8: Swam valley & Fremantle Market & brewery

Day 9: Kings Park & Back home (5pm flight)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,551 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

There's an awful lot of rushing about for your nine days. I would think it would exhaust the middle aged, let alone the elderly.

Since Albany is a 4 1/2 hour drive, if you expect to be in Caversham the next day you won't have much time to do anything in Albany. The wind farm is interesting but not worth such a long drive, if that's all you have time for in Albany.

Why Lancelin?

Is day 8 a weekend (the only time the Fremantle Markets are open)?

Since Caversham and the Swan Vally are in the same area, why not visit both on the same day?

Wave Rock and the Pink Lake are only feasible if you had a lot more time than you do.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 14:45
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

<< Is wave rock and pink lake worth the long hour drive? >>

The answer is - its all up to you, how much you really want to see these attractions? Yes you would have to leave Perth early and drive 4.5 hours to Hyden and Wave Rock which you will probably look at for 30 minutes - and there is not too much else to see on the way there or at Hyden, which is a small rural wheatbelt farm town. Then to see the Pink Lake at Esperance, its another 4 hours driving to look at it for 30 minutes and maybe look at some of the other attractions at Esperance. In September the sun sets just after 6pm so you would need to stay overnight. Then to get back to Perth the next day, you would be driving for another 8 hours. So you have to decide how important it is to see them when you are here from London, because it would take up an absolute minimum of 2 days to do the round trip, and whether this is the best use of the time.

<< Any vineyard or wine tasting tour to recommend? We would like to have a tour to understand the wine making process, is it possible? >>

The Swan Valley wine region is 45 minutes from Perth. You should have no problems finding at least one of many vineyards where an explanation of the winemaking process can be included in a tour.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

We have done whale watching every year since mid 80s with Mills Charters out of Hillary's Marina. Always the last weekend of September - but anytime thru Sept and Oct is awesome.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

Penguin island is closed from early June to September 14 for the winter nesting season.

To do everything on your itinerary above, you would just be driving for the entire 9 days for hours and hours, with no time to spend looking at the places and attractions you have come here for. The distances between these places are much bigger than you can probably imagine.

Best to choose a few things in three places maximum and start a new itinerary.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

We find that overseas travellers really underestimate the distances here and the time it takes to travel. As previously mentioned you need to have a re-think about what you want to see and do, how many hours you want to spend in a car and your ability to cope with driving long distances.

Just some more information to help with your planning:

I would schedule Kings Park early in your trip. It's a great spot to get an overview of the city. In September there will be a wonderful display of wildflowers so you might want to spend several hours wandering in the Park (there are also free tours). If this day is a Friday-Sunday then you could do Kings Park in the morning and head to the Fremantle Markets in the afternoon.

Suggestions for your trip 'down south':

Many would say 2 night minimum in the Margaret River Region to see just a few of the many attractions.

The Giant Tree Top Walk- do you mean the one just east of Walpole? It will be a long drive from Margaret River to Tree Top Walk-it is possible but if you are not experienced country drivers then can be quite tiring. Some winding sections and plenty to see on the way.

Moving on from Tree Top Walk, a stop at William Bay is a highlight for many visitors to this part of the state. You would then continue on to the pretty little town of Denmark. Some great wineries and scenic drives in this area.

You really need a night spend somewhere between Margaret River and Albany to give yourselves time to see some of the wonderful natural environment.

You could easily spend 2 days around Albany. In addition to the Wind Farm vista there are numerous other attractions. Some of my favourites: Two People's Bay, Emu Point, walking around boardwalk from Middleton Beach and the Anzac precinct. Whaleworld is a popular attraction and there are a couple of whale watching tours based in Albany.

http://www.amazingalbany.com.au/

Further afield from Albany are the Porongorup and Stirling Range National Parks which have great displays of wildflowers,

There are many wildflower areas in both the south west and north of Perth. These self drive itineraries might help with your planning if you are keen on seeing wildflowers.

westernaustralia.com/en/…Driving_Trails.aspx

It is about a 5 hour drive back to Perth along the Albany Hwy -including stops in Kojonup and Williams.

Happy planning!

Edited: 28 May 2014, 16:18
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

Lancelin is for sand boarding, my parents like it, does anyone know where is the exact location to rent the board?

After reading all your advice, I decide to just stay at margaret river region, will save the albany area for our next trip (hope so).

I have a few doubts hope you all can help.

1. I know that the bayswater car rental is highly recommend here, however they don't have any counter at the airport and their opening time is not good for our sunday arriving/ departing. I find the quote from Redspot. sixt is quite competitive too, does anyone use their services before? Their reviews for other cities are bad but I can't find any review for perth.

2. If we opt to use public transport in the city of Perth, will it be very inconvenience especially the weekend? we don't mind to walk longer and to have 30mins waiting time.

3. Other than vineyard, Busselton Jetty, Mandurah/ bunbury dolphins cruise, leeuwin lighthouse, any other interesting activities to recommend around Margaret river region? Any nice lookout or nice trail (easy one)?

My parents

- don't like to visit cave

- don't surf

- don't dive

- don't swim

- can do kayaking

- not interested in olive oil factory/ cheese factory .

.... sorry man, I have problem to fill up my itinerary ...

Thank again for your your kind contribution.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

Thank you, I will cross off penguin island.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

Thank you. we will check it out.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

I dont know if you've seen this link before but it might be helpful:

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255103-c137216/Pe…

10. Re: Whale Watching and wildflower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:15