We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaret River or Pemberton

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Margaret River or Pemberton

Hi there, I've got 3 days to spend in Margaret River and/or Pemberton, traveling in end Nov/beginning Dec. 2 adults and 2 older children. Ideally would like to see both places. Is that doable over 3 days? Would appreciate any advice and tips on the places to visit within Margaret River and Pemberton.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

Are you including travelling time in your 3 days? I hope not because ts a long time in the car driving in each direction, that would take a chunk out of your available time.I think you are wise to just pick one place and not try to do both, because then you would be spending far too much time travelling and not enoiugh time enjoying the destination.

Pemberton is very scenic with unbelievably enormous trees.

The Margaret River Region is an entire region including several towns amazing coastines, wineries, caves, restaurants, choclate factories, icecreameries, surf beaches, sheltered beaches, art galleries, lighthouses - and more!

Get all your family members to do some research and see which one they pick.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

I'm looking forward to a few days with my husband, daughter and son-in-law staying at Scarlet Woods Chalets, Pemberton. The reviews I've seen are all very good. Have a look at their web site if you decide on Pemberton.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

Hi Kerry,

Thankfully, no, the 3 days excludes traveling time. I would be spending a night in Busselton before heading to either MR or Pemberton, so if I visit MR instead of Pemberton, that's not a very long drive. And the day after the 3 days in either place, will be heading to Mandurah. I totally agree about not spending too long on the road. Wanted to go to Pemberton because of its scenic forestry and a cooler temperature. But it seems there is more to see and do in MR. Decisions, decisions! Thanks for the suggestion.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

As much as I like Pemberton, with only three days I suggest you stick to MR. There's so much to see and do in MR that your three days will fly by.

We once visited Pemberton as a day trip from MR, not sure why, but we did - it's a two hour drive each way, so that leaves very little time experience the place. Pemberton is well worth several days on it's own.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

Make sure you travel along Caves Road, very scenic either side and plenty of beautiful winery estates (like Driftwood, Lawrance and several others to stop at and just enjoy their gardens and wine tasting/cellar door shops and other facilities. Plan to linger over at least one lunch if the menu and ambience appeals.

Drive along the foreshore of Geographe Bay near the quaint town of Dunsborough. Divert and watch the surf break at Yallingup for the sheer contrast of calm/powerful coastline, and call in at Canal Rocks for more rugged coastline views and photos. Call in at the Lleeuwin lighthouse and take a short guided tour, maybe stopping for for a coffee or lunch overlooking Bunker Bay.

So much to enjoy "down south" - we were there with friends at the beginning of June and have already booked somewhere different for end of September, along with a lot of other Perth locals. We sometimes forget how lucky we are to have so much so close by!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

Thanks for the info, Melnq & Kerry. Will take all this into account.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

Hi folks, one more question, which is the nicest beach in the Margaret River region? Thanks again.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

Meelup.Beautiful bay and beach plus grassy area and rocks. Has it all (except surf).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

It depends quite a lot on the weather and wind direction, but in that area you have the advantage of the shape of the coastline which means you can almost always find somewhere sheltered from the wind.

Meelup is lovely but might be a bit tame if you have older kids. Usually its hard to beat beautiful Bunker Bay especially if there is a strong southerly wind, which is accessed on the way out to the Cape Naturalist lighthouse via Bunker Bay Road off Farm Break Lane.

If its an easterly wind then Yallingup Beach is lovely, and so is Smiths Beach and Gnarabup Beach off Wallcliffe Rd (which is the closest beach to the township of Margaret River.)

Edited: 06 July 2014, 04:31
10. Re: Margaret River or Pemberton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16