We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outings for oldies in perth?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
outings for oldies in perth?

When I come to perth ( all seaons) I like to go on outings with my relatives...we are all in our 50s and 60s now...some younger adults in 20s, but mostly us oldies get together. Even though they live there they are not too good at or knowledgeable about organising outings and they usually leave it up to me....any suggestions as to venues or outings to suit us oldies? We have cars, but like to use the train to go into the city. We are all mobile and sort of fit..lol. Thanks♡

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outings for oldies in perth?

Using public transport, dont underestimate Kings Park - its much bigger than you may think with some lovely areas to explore - the Pioneer Woman's Fountain, DNA Tower, Lotterywest Walkway and the gardens, especially coming up to September with all the great wildflower displays.

Alternately with access requiring a car, our National Parks are always a good place to start (unless it happens to be in the middle of a summer heatwave of course.)

- John Forrest National Park is about 25 kilometres east of Perth http://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park/john-forrest

- Yanchep National Park is about 45 kilometres north of Perth http://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/yanchep

- Serpentine National Park is about 55 kilometres SE of Perth http://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/park/serpentine

At this time of year when it can be a bit cool outside, Perth is one of the few cities where the coast is accessible by driving along scenic routes like West Coast Highway. Take a scenic trip north to hillarys or Mindarie Marine and stop for a meal overlooking the water.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outings for oldies in perth?

The Perth Hills make for a great day out.

experienceperth.com/destinations/the-perth-h…

I particularly like the area around Kalamunda and Bickley. Great walks, cafés, pubs, cider house and wineries. Not so nice in the middle of summer but other times it is a lovely area.

You need a car and best to go Friday- Sunday when more cafés are open.

If you are all active then great walking on ocean front paths and around the river. Plenty of cafés on these types of walks and relatively easy to access with public transport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outings for oldies in perth?

Depending on when you are visiting - a nice walk around Fremantle, then lunch at one of the cafes. In Summer, the free concerts at Fremantle Arts Centre can be a nice way to finish a day in Fremantle.

A day in the Hills, I love going for a drive to one of the dams or Noble Falls and then having lunch at one of the pubs.

Swan Valley - spend the day visiting the wineries/ café/ art galleries / Mondo Nougat / Chocolate Factory along Great Norther Highway and surrounds.

Araluen - if the tulips are out - August/Sept

Drive along the ocean front, visit to Aqua and lunch at Hillary's Marina.

Hope this helps

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outings for oldies in perth?

Yes great ideas thanks...some of those I have never heard of. Would like to explore more of the hills.

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: outings for oldies in perth?

I don't consider myself an oldie even though I'm over 60.

I've done all 4 tours of Fremantle Prison and enjoyed every one although the tunnels tour was challenging for me. At weekend, you could do one of those then have a look round the indoor market before eating in one of the many cafes in Freo. You can get there from Perth very easily on the train.

AQUA and Hillarys, as mentioned in post 3 also very good and mostly under cover so good for a rainy day.

6. Re: outings for oldies in perth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15