We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Adelaide, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

I am organising a week-long trip for a group of very adventurous friends from Broome to Kunanurra. I've found a lot of hikes, 4WD trips and flight tours, but I am looking for other options such as cycling, and unusual activities (like sand skiing or parasailing). Budget is not necessarily a barrier - any great suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Broome
Broome
Kimberley Region, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Yeah my suggestion is that maybe the Kimberley is not for you. The Kimberley is about amazing scenery, solitude, the beauty of nature, low impact tourism and the culture of the Australian outback, both indigenous and white history - not theme park activities.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Hi,

Swimming with the crocs may get the blood flowing?

Cheers,

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Exactly to the above posts.

Too dusty and rough to cycle. Hiking and swimming in the waterfalls is pretty much it unless you get flights to sightsee.

You can kayak on parts of the ord river system- but its the salties that would worry me.

I hope the Kimberleys never offer any of the activities you are suggesting!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,475 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Kalbarri sounds like it would suit you more. The have skydiving up there now and scenic flights over the gorges and along the stunning red sea cliffs.

Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Another couple of alternatives are mud crabbing with locals up on Dampier peninsula, or a bush tucker tour. Mimbi caves near Fitzroy, kayaking around Broome and the Ord ( there's a very good tour that runs from Knunurra- & no-one on that has been eaten by a croc). Horse riding at either Birdwood downs, El Questro or Diggers Rest, if you're lucky you can help with mustering. I know you've looked at flights but the flight/ boat trip through Horizonatal falls and the helicopter flight through the Bungles are a must. There's no sand sliding but there are a hell of a lot of parasailing people around Town Beach in Broome if the conditions are right.

Mentioned in this post
Broome
Broome
Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Actually after having just driving back from Derby to Broome and contending with numerous cows on the road, plus nearly getting wiped off the road whilst overtaking a roadtrain when the last trailer decided to cross lanes, we really don't need adventure sports in the Kimberley...

Mentioned in this post
Broome
Broome
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

Haha CW...what with cows which look like boulders on the side of the road and boulders which look cows....you then have to negotiate the single lane bridge...that can be exciting, when that road train suddenly appears.

Broome
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

I haven't had a roadtrain on a single bridge but did have a mate that had to reverse in a hurry on Willare bridge. I once drove back at night from Tunnel Creek rd to Broome and dimmed my lights for a car coming the other way and in the process nearly took out two cows. After that I went so slow a roadtrain overtook me. I don't know which was worse, nearly taking out the cows or having this monster semi ton truck towing three trailers scream past me.

Yep Roadtrains are adventurous. For all- Don't ever overtake one at night, on a dirt road or anywhere near a corner in the Kimberley. If cars coming the other way don't get you the cows will.

The Broome Shire is also adventurous at the moment and have just bought in wheel clamps for backpackers clogging up carparks, displaying their underwear strung between cars and leaving Australia without paying the fine. Perhaps that should be a general notice...

Mentioned in this post
Broome
Broome
9. Re: Kimberleys - adventurous and varied trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:17