We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broome holiday

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Broome holiday

We have never been to Broome but would like to spend a couple of weeks there at around this time next year. I haven't really researched what there is to do yet, but does anyone have any suggestions regarding length of stay in place? We are not sure whether to book one place for the whole 2 weeks or perhaps move around a bit. Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broome holiday

Broome is a relatively small town and even though there's quite a bit to do and keep you occupied during your stay, I think it would be great to go further afield and take in more of the Kimberley region.

Do bear in mind, that it is peak tourist season and so availability to your preferred accommodation may be difficult, if you don't book early and also prices reflect this time of year too.

Do have a look at any tourist information on the internet and also make contact with the visitor centre, if you need help in deciding what you could be doing during your two week stay, ie camping tours, scenic flights, boat trips etc.

http://www.visitbroome.com.au/

http://www.broomecam.com.au/

bom.gov.au/climate/…IDCJDW6015.201307.shtml

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Broome holiday

Thanks Sue, I appreciate your quick reply. I will look at the sights that you've suggested and investigate other areas as well. I know it will be busy, that's why I'm starting now. Thanks again and all the best!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broome holiday

No worries cenza..do keep asking any questions that you may have.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broome holiday

July/August is a great time to go to Broome - peak season, great weather, all the tours will be operating so you will have lots of choices. A week is a good start if you haven't been before - to help you more it would help to know what is of interest, a basic idea of your budget and time frame - and even the country you are coming from as its not on your profile yet (hint.)

Do you plan to drive or stay close to town?

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,563 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broome holiday

Have you been to the Top End (e.g. Darwin, Kakadu, Litchfield, Katherine?).

If not, you can fly between Broome and Darwin. It might be worth coming into one and out of the other and spending time in each.

Personally, 2 weeks would be too long for me to spend in Broome alone - the other option of course would be to get a 4WD for a bit of exploring around the Kimberley, well worth doing but not sure if that's what you had in mind?

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Broome holiday

Thanks Waddler, have not been to the top end at all and we don't mind doing some driving.. The option of flying into Broome and out from Darwin might be a goer. Thanks for you advice!

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Broome holiday

Thanks Kerry for your reply. We are from Melbourne and keen to get away for at least two weeks. We don't want to spend a fortune but we r not backpackers and like our creature comforts. We love the beach, hiking, a bit of adventure and certainly sight seeing. I'd love to buy a pearl! We don't mind driving around at all, we have done 3 month road trips through Europe . That's why I wanted to know whether 2 weeks in one place could be too much in Broome?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
30 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broome holiday

Hi, having spent two weeks in Broome in May and from Melbourne, I can tell you that my initial thoughts were "Its so small and boring", "There is so little to do", and "What! Only one branch of each of the major four banks in the whole place?" however that soon changed to relaxation and acceptance that there was an amazing beach right there and a much slower pace of life and with it a different "attitude". Its biggest problem is the price of everything - much more expensive than Melbourne. definately find a place where you can do your own cooking, its far to pricey to eat out all the time.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,204 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broome holiday

Welcome to cost of day to day living in the more remote parts of this big country...

Pleased to hear that you relaxed and enjoyed your stay in little ol' Broome.

10. Re: Broome holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Broome