We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broome In Review

Which Broome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Broome In Review

We just got back from our 10 day holiday in Broome yesterday and I thought I'd post a bit of a review on our trip.

We stepped off the plane when we arrived (28th Oct) and the heat/humidity hit us like a sledgehammer. It was so hot and humid (37 degrees with 80% humidity) after a chilly morning in Melbourne when we left. The weather stayed around this temp every day and never dropped below 28 degrees at night.

Broome itself is an interesting area with quite a bit to do and see and Cable beach is just truly beautiful. The water temperature was 32 degrees and just like swimming in a salt water bath. We did a few tours to get out and explore the area and would definately recommend the following:

Harley Trike Tour - we did a 2 hour tour around Broome and its main attractions on the back of a Harley Trike. It was heaps of fun and our driver Roger was a full of local knowledge and great fun. Along with checking out the local attractions in Broome town and Roebuck Bay, he also took us to Gantheume Point to look at the dinosaur footprints and Anastasia's Pool and we finished the ride watching the sunset over Cable beach. The contrast of the red rocks/dirt with the ocean is truly gorgeous. We would highly recommend this tour, its quite a unique way to get out and see some of the local attractions. It only runs in the late afternoon due to the heat.

Kimberley Astronomy Tour - we did a 2 hour astronomy tour which was really really interesting. Greg (the guy who does the tour) is really knowledgeable and has 2 huge telescopes where you can look at the stars. Plus he gives you great information on reading the sky and looking for planets. We would highly recommend this tour.

Willie Creek Pearl Farm - we did a half day tour to the pearl farm. It was really interesting learning about pearling and its history in Broome. At the end of the tour you go out on a boat to look around the area. It was quite interesting and Willie Creek is such a pretty area with the contrast of the white sand and aqua waters. Again, we would recommend this tour.

Broome Microlight Flights - my hubby did a 2 hour Microlight flight (looks like a hanglider with a motorised cabin). The flight takes off from Broome Airport and you get to see so much of the surrounding areas. Hubby even got to see sea turtles and sting rays from the air. He absolutely raved about this flight and was so pumped afterwards, that he booked another one the next day where he got to fly for a bit! We would definately recommend this flight. It gives you such a unique view of Broome and the surrounding areas and according to hubby, was so much fun!

Camel Ride Along Cable Beach - we did the regulation camel ride along Cable beach on our last night. It was quite good fun and they take some great photo's of you on the camels with your own camera and theirs. Well worth it.

All in all we had a great time up there. We stayed at the Cable Beach Club resort which is a really nice resort. Because we arrived in the off peak season we got quite a good discount on our accomodation. But we did find it quite hard to get in this time of year.

We didn't get out to see the outback gorges, so we are already planning another trip next year in May where we can explore a bit more of the Kimberley. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broome In Review

Hi wool/M,

Broome is fab, you have written a great review, I suggest you copy/paste it into Broome reviews for other travellers to digest....the forum posts..after two days......just disappears.......

Search Broome, for "write a review"....that way it stays, and becomes important info for other travellers to see...........

Ellemay.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broome In Review

Thanks Ellemay. I'll cut and paste it into a review.

I agree with you, Broome is fab and such a great place to visit. We'll definately be going back next year. ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
362 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Broome In Review

G’day Woolamai, nice report :-) I’ve never been in the top half of WA so reading your report has enhanced my desire to go there! Would like to read more about the economics of your trip; not wanting to know anything personal, rather looking for “value for money” aspects, to optimise opportunities. Were there any rip-offs to beware?

Cheers, Wally B :-)

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broome In Review

Thanks Wally!

This was our first trip to the top half of WA and we really really enjoyed it. We would definately recommend it.

If you are looking for value for money tips. Then I would definately recommend considering going at the time we did (end of Oct/start of Nov). It was Off Peak season at the resort and we saved around $100 a night on our accomodation, which adds up when you are staying 10 days. The Wet Season does start on the 1st Nov, so the humidity starts to really kick in, but we found the days to be consistently hot (humid) and sunny. The rain doesn't normally start till around mid Dec (we were told). The Stinger season start s on the 1st Nov, but we didn't encounter any at the beach. Maybe we were lucky, or they were late. ;-)

We did find that a couple of tours we wanted to do were not running every day. But, that was ok, we just booked them when they were running etc.

I'd also recommend seeing what deals are around for packages up there. We did lots of research on this and booking things separately ourselves (flights and accomodation). In the end, we went with a deal from Flight Centre for around $1650 each (return flights/10 days accomodation (plus brekkie). Which turned out to be a pretty good deal. But, definately shop around.

As for flights, I'd definately recommend doing the Qantas direct flight from Melb -> Broome (only took 3 hours 45 mins). We did this on the way home. Unfortunately, Qantas doesn't fly direct from Broome to Melb everyday (so we were told), so we had to fly with Virgin on the way up. This was a bit of a milk run (Melb -> Adelaide (transit 1.5 hours) -> Broome). All up, it took around 6 hours. So quite a difference in times.

I just spoke with hubby and neither of us can really think of any rip offs that we encountered? We found most things to be at the right price...

Hope this helps. :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
362 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Broome In Review

G’day Woolamai, thanks for the advice. A $1000 saving here is a $1000 opportunity elsewhere :-) I’d love to do a lap of Oz (like sun13! :-) but unfortunately I don’t anticipate being able to take that amount of time-off any time soon (unless the Lotto-Gods smile upon me! ;-) so a 10-14 day trip is more likely. I dislike transit lounges immensely so thanks for the “avoid the milk run” tip.

Cheers, Wally B :-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Broome In Review

Recommendation for your May trip to the Kimberleys - I did a 9 day 4WD tour from Broome to Darwin with Kimberley Adventure Tours (based in Derby). Excellent value for money, great food etc etc

Tour is usually via the Gibb but this was closed due to cyclone flooding. Highlight was the Bungles - absolutely awesome. Went on to do other tours of Kakadu, Litchfield, Alice Springs Uluru etc but the Broome - Darwin was the best leg of the trip.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broome In Review

Broome sounds fab

I would fly Qantas both ways for my peace of mind, I just like getting there.

We are looking at Rendezvous to stay at, did you hear of or see at all?

What do you suggest for myself, as have limited mobility, ie things to do!!??

thanks Lil xx

Bristol
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broome In Review

sorry- 'aquashine' who did you do your 9 day trip with? im off on a year trip around oz in march 07 and would love to know more x

great review wollamai!! :0)

xxx

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broome In Review

Thanks Woolamai for the tip on the flight with Qantas, do you know how much the two flights cost? The Virgin one is the cheapest I have found on the net. Did you book at a flight centre agency or on the internet? thanks for any help.

Nefertari

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broome In Review

Thanks for the tip Aquashine. That definately sounds like something we would be into. :-)

Lilyana, we didn't get to see the Rendezvouz Resort and I was looking out for it too. But I have friends at work that stayed there last year and they loved it. We were tossing up between Rendezvouz and the Cable Beach Club, but went for the CBC because of its location.

Nefertari....we booked our holiday with Flight Centre via the phone. I found the email with prices broken down into flights and accomodation. We paid $781 per person for a return flight .... Melb/Ade/Broome (Virgin) and Broome/Melb (Qantas). We couldn't get onto a direct flight up to Broome with Qantas, hence why we went with Virgin. Hope this helps. :-)