We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

HI, I am planning a trip for 5 adults and 1 kid (3yo) to Perth. We have 3 adults who are in their early 60s. For my Swan Valley itinerary, I chose Carilley Estate for lunch cos the menu looks more like what we will have back home. Vs the fine dining options where the old folks might not feel comfortable with. If you have any other suggestions on where we can eat at, that will be great.

(1st Sep) Day 1 - Swan Valley

Chocolate Factory and ice creamery

Farm stay at Settlers

(2nd Sep) Day 2 - Swan Valley

Caversham Wildlife Park

Lunch at Carilley Estate

Mandoon Estate

Sandalford Estate

(3rd Sep) Day 3 - Swan River / Fremantle

Shoalwater Island cruise - 1 hour boat ride (10.45am)

City tour at Fremantle

(4th Sep) Day 4 - Fremantle / Margaret River

Drive out to Margaret River (3 hours)

Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse

(5th Sep) Day 5 - Margaret River

Busselton Jetty

Whale watch tour 1pm at Busselton Jetty

(6th Sep) Day 6 - Margaret River

Winery visits (5 hours chaffeured drive)

(7th Sep) Day 7 - Margaret River / Airport

Drive straight to airport from Margaret River region (3 hours)

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Mandoon Estate
Mandoon Estate
786 Reviews
Caversham, Australia
Swan River
Swan River
2,689 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Margaret River Region, Australia
Margaret River Region
Margaret River Region
Western Australia, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

If you are hiring a vehicle, you will also need to hire a car seat for the 3 yr old .

Your itinerary timing looks reasonable in general, but I have a few comments, mainly because of the time of year you are planning to come as it will be cold compared to Singapore. Also the drive to the Margaret River Region will take closer to 4 hours, not 3:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25536…

Day 2 - You may want to stay longer at Caversham Wildlife Park to see some of the daily events which are on a timetable (For example if you want to take photos with the koalas, the times are: 9.00am to 9.30am, 11.30am to 12.00pm, 2.30pm to 3.00pm, 4.00pm to 4.30pm.) Check the times for any specific things you want to do there so you dont miss out. cavershamwildlife.com.au/daily-attractions/

Day 3 - please note that Shoalwater is 45 minute drive south of Fremantle. These 2 places are not close, so your trip to the island may take up more of your day than you expect. You may also enjoy a visit to Fremantle Weekend markets, its popular with visitors. You do not need to pay to do a Fremantle tour -its very easy to walk around or catch the free CAT bus. fremantlewesternaustralia.com.au/fremantle-m…

Day 5 - Busselton Jetty may be closed if the weather is windy, but you can still see it from the shore and take photos. The whale watch tour might not be a good idea in September as it is winter here and it could be stormy. September is often very windy and wet and cold with big seas. Suggest you only book the whale watch tour if the weather forecast for the day is mild and sunny, because it will still be cold.

Chauffeur driven wine tours can be expensive - other local options:

https:/…

Edited: 24 January 2017, 07:17
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Margaret River Region
Margaret River Region
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

A few suggestions:

Kings Park is not on your list- it's lovely there and the Ivy Watson playground in the park with your 3 year old will be a hit. September is wildflower time and the park looks fabulous. Perth/Fremantle has lots of great playgrounds and walking paths for all ages.

I would spend less time in the Swan Valley. You are heading to Margaret River which I feel has more variety than the Swan Valley. Maybe only 1 night ion the Swan Valley there's no minimum stay with accommodation.

Lots to do in the MR region including heaps of lovely wineries-inheres also farm/bush stays:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25536…

Fremantle- very busy Day 3 as the Penguin Island tour is around 45 minute drive from Fremantle. You could stay Days 2 and 3 in Fremantle and fit in Fremantle, Kings park and Penguin Island (which can be done on the way to the Margaret River region if you left early enough)

Although Google says a 3 hours drive to Margaret River region you will want to add to that time to allow a stop. Don't leave it too late to return to the airport!

Your 3 year old will need the appropriate approved car seat so take that into account when you hire a vehicle.

Edit: I see Kerry and I are on the same page with suggestions!

Edited: 24 January 2017, 07:26
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Penguin Island
Penguin Island
1,002 Reviews
Rockingham, Australia
Margaret River Region
Margaret River Region
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

Excellent suggestions JeanPerth! LOL.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

JeanPerth, I wasn't planning on staying in Perth itself, that's why I gave Kings Park a miss. You mentioned there are other playgrounds around Fremantle area so I will probably include some of them in my itinerary.

Also, my farmstay choice at Swan Valley has a min 2 nights stay. Do you have any to recommend?

If I do reduce my nights in Swan Valley to 1, should I increase my nights stay in Fremantle or Margaret River? My plan at Margaret River was to stay along the coast near Busselton. But again, you all mentioned that Sep isn't a good time to visit Busselton and whale watching. If so, then I might just stay further down in Leeuwin Estate area instead.

As for temperature, we were at Melbourne in Sep 2016 too. So I think Perth temperature should be fine. And we definitely booked a car seat for my girl.

Kerry, noted on Caversham, I will increase my time there and perhaps in that case, drive out to Fremantle straight instead of visiting the vineyards there. Since i will be going Margaret River too.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Busselton
Busselton
Leeuwin Estate
Leeuwin Estate
339 Reviews
Margaret River, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

In winter the most sheltered area near Margaret River Region is along Geographe Bay. Dunsborough is a nice town and well located close to lots of attractions in the region. Busselton is a bit too far east in my opinion so you would be driving further each day to explore.

The western facing coast between Yallingup and Augusta can be very rugged and windblown. Still it can be good fun to watch waves crashing on the shore/rocks at Yallingup in winter!

Mentioned in this post
Margaret River Region
Margaret River Region
Geographe Bay
Geographe Bay
118 Reviews
Dunsborough, Australia
Dunsborough
Dunsborough
Busselton
Busselton
Yallingup
Yallingup
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

I actually like September here in Perth and the south- but you can get anywhere from nice sunny days through to some rain and cooler times. I enjoy the changeable nature of September weather but that doesn't always work for tourists! Check BOM website ( usually accurate a few days out) and be fexible with itinerary.

I love wildflower time here in WA and Kings Park is so easily accessed when you are heading for example to Fremantle that it seems a shame not to go- the 60 year olds in your group might really enjoy seeing the displays. Free excellent tours are available. Visitors from the eastern states of Australia come to WA during September because of the wildowers. But this is high on my list and maybe not important to your group.

Re your accommodation in Margaret River region- there's a wide range available. Some people enjoy staying in chalets in the bush areas where you can self cater and have a nice wood fire. Many people would dine out during the day and self cater at night so you are not driving on dark roads in the evening. If this doesn't appeal then stay around Dunsborough or a bit further south the MR townshiip where you have only a short drive to eat in the evening and there's more choice.

If you are keen on staying in the Swan Valley area then do that nights 1 & 2. Don't rush to wineries and attractions as you have plenty of those in the MR region. You could if it interested you do a bush walk at 'nearby' John Forrest NP and have a drink at the tavern and see the kangaroos there.

Then have night 3 in Fremantle or Perth fit in a visit to Kings Park and Fremantle

attractions. ( playgrounds for my family include Esplanade, play area near Zephyr cafe on River, playground at South Beach).

Day 4 - do the Penguin Island dolphin tour then push onto MR region.

Apparently the whale watching is a bit calmer around Geographer Bay but as Kerry mentioned be flexible according to weather forecast.

Edited: 24 January 2017, 09:59
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River Region
Margaret River Region
Dunsborough
Dunsborough
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Penguin Island
Penguin Island
1,002 Reviews
Rockingham, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

Kerry1G, thanks for your suggestions, we will look into a place closer to Dunsborough. :) Yallingup and Augusta as you mentioned will be very strong winds so it might not be that good for the old and young.

JeanPerth, based on your suggeston and Kerry's suggestion for Swan Valley, maybe I will just spend 1 full day at Caversham. My daughter loves feeding kangaroos! Last year she cried when we had to leave the kangaroo enclosure in GOR, Melbourne. That way we will just leave the wineries to the MR region. Day 3 we will spend time in Fremantle exploring the city and King Park. Day 4, we will do the dolphin island and start drive to MR. Day 5, we can do Lighthouse and Busselton. Day 6, winery tour and Day 7, home.

One question though, if we dont go for whale tour, would we be able to view the whales from the coast?

Thanks all for your suggestions so far! It's been great help.

Mentioned in this post
Dunsborough
Dunsborough
Yallingup
Yallingup
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Busselton
Busselton
York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
1,759 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

For good views of the whales you need the boat trip. From certain places on the coast you may see a distant splash or something poking out of the water but not too much else.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

very slim chance to see whale from coast, or almost no chance

10. Re: 7 days trip to Perth on 1 Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2018, 05:16