We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5D4N in Perth in October

Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
5D4N in Perth in October

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip with my parents to Perth from 20-25 October. We'll be arriving early Sat 20th morning at around 8am, and leave Perth on Wed 25th at 4pm flight. So we'll have about 4.5 days there.

Since my parents are above 60, we want to have more of a relaxing holiday, with a focus on seeing beautiful nature and eating good food.

- We'd like to avoid renting a car if possible so we can take it easy and just on day tours around Perth. Is driving a must or can we get by with 1-2 days in Perth (strolling around) and 1-2 days to other cities (with bus tours)?

- What are the must see places at that time of the year? We're nature people so would prefer nature over man-made attractions.

- Which area in Perth do you recommend we stay in?

Would greatly appreciate some suggestions for itinerary planning. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
30 replies to this topic
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

As well as staying in Perth CBD you could also consider staying in Fremantle ( the port of Perth and it's a pleasant train trip between the two).

There are free CAT buses in bothe Perth and Freo so easy to get around.

…wa.gov.au/Timetables/CAT-Timetables

Nature-well the beach is accessible ( eg Cottesloe Beach is 15 minute walk from train station) and has nice walking paths to stroll plus cafes.

The river foreshore areas are also lovely and you can get to spots by bus.

Kings Park is right in the middle of Perth City- a very large area of both bush and botanic areas. Take a free walking tour to learn about our unique flora.

Then you have Rottnest Island which makes for a great day trip - cycle or tour on a bus. You could even stay a night if interested.

Penguin Island could be a half day trip and it is possible to access via public transport. Easier with car though.

There are tours to Caversham Wildlife Park and Pinnacles- very popular with our overseas visitors. That is a full day trip.

Plenty of great food options. Breakfast/ brunch popular at cafes and easy to spend time doing this ( especially if overlooking ocean/river or bush setting).

The other cities and towns in the state are too far away with your time frame and anyway best to have a car.

Ideas to help you plan:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25510…

Edited: 09 July 2017, 08:18
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Cottesloe Beach
Cottesloe Beach
1,448 Reviews
Cottesloe, Australia
Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island
Cockburn, Australia
Penguin Island
Penguin Island
1,002 Reviews
Rockingham, Australia
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

October is a really good time to visit Perth.

Ideas for things to do:

If you are happy to just visit attractions in and around Perth, you can travel around using the TransPerth CAT buses which are free. There are 4 different routes:

…wa.gov.au/Timetables/Live-Perth-CAT-Times

The port city of Fremantle is only a 30 minutes train ride from Perth:

(Great minds, Jean)

Edited: 09 July 2017, 09:02
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

Hi all,

Revisiting this thread as I'll be finalizing my trip in October soon. Thanks for the advice so far!

I discussed with the family and we're open to renting a car if that is the more convenient option. What do you think of this rough itinerary?

Day 1 (Sat):

arrive Perth at 8am. Check into hotel, spend the day exploring the city center itself including King's Park.

--Since there are free CAT buses in Perth, is it necessary to rent a car on our first day? Or better to take Uber from the airport and spend the rest of the day in the city walking around and taking the CAT buses?

Overnight: Perth

Day 2 (Sun):

Day trip to Fremantle and potentially Rottnest Island. Since there are also free CAT buses there and it is a short train ride from Perth, we are thinking we still won't need to rent a car today?

Day 3 (Mon):

Thinking of renting a car today to drive down to Margaret River in the morning with stops along Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton as we head down.

Overnight: 1 night in Margaret River or Dunsborough

Day 4 (Tues):

Explore Margaret River area during the day. Drive back to Perth in the evening.

Day 5 (Wed):

Check out of hotel, half-day morning to Caversham Wildlife Park before coming back to Perth for a 4.15PM Flight (will this be too tight? should we opt to just stay in Perth in the morning?)

- Would love to hear your thoughts on the overall itinerary

- Would you suggest renting a car on day 1 as soon as we arrive at the airport, or later on in Day 3 when we drive down to Margaret River? For the latter, are there car rental places where we can rent from downtown but return at the airport?

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island
Cockburn, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Margaret River Region, Australia
Mandurah
Mandurah
Western Australia, Australia
Bunbury
Bunbury
Busselton
Busselton
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

Whilst we would normally say just rely on public transport for Perth city and Fremantle, given you haven't a heap of time here then you could consider a car.

For weekend transport to Kings Park the free Green Cat bus doesn't run but you can easily catch the normal bus (935) from St George's Tce- gets you near the Visitor enter at Kings Park and free:

https:/…transport-options

Day 2- tricky to do both Fremantle and Rottnest to do both justice- if you want then consider an early ferry to Rottnest then late afternoon in Fremantle ( but Markets and museums will close at 5).

Margaret River- whilst you haven't time here do consider 2 nights as much to see and do in region. That gives you one full day. There's also a. It of driving involved to see the attractions and might be more enjoyable/ safer to stay put that night rather than a late night 3-4 hour drive back to Perth.

Leave Dunsborough early on your last day and you might even fit in a quick visit to Caversham. ( sort of near to airport) or Peel Zoo near Pinjarra or the Australian section at Perth Zoo in South Perth.might be more convenient on return. This should be doable to get to your flight.

Edited: 03 September 2017, 11:41
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island
Cockburn, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Peel Zoo
Peel Zoo
143 Reviews
Pinjarra, Australia
Perth Zoo
Perth Zoo
2,065 Reviews
South Perth, Australia
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,390 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

To add to Jean's comments- "Drive back to Perth in the evening"- sorry, this is a bad idea. Kangaroos abound around there and they come out onto the roads at night. This puts you at risk of a traumatic (and expensive) accident. Plan to be back in the southern suburbs of Perth at least by sundown.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

i dont think you should go margaret river. spend more time in perth or fremantle.

if you feel otherwise then head to swan valley for what you will

potentially visit in margaret river region but its 1 hour drive instead of the 3 hour to margaret river.

car rental per day is about 30 to 40 aud per day so if there is 3 or 4 of you, i will get the car from baywater rental and get them

to pick me from airport for aud5 per pax and same way back later to save your cab fee.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

4.5 days might be a bit tight to do Margaret River, in my opinion. You really need at least 2 nights down there to get a taste for it and justify the hours spent driving there.

Maybe you could do the Swan Valley instead, which you could either hire a car for or hire a car with a driver. With a driver, all of you will be able to enjoy some wine sampling!

The Margaret River Chocolate Company also has a branch in the Swan Valley.

If wine tasting takes your fancy, the Carmel and Bickley Valleys are very picturesque and are better than the Swan Valley, in my opinion. Core Cider House is also located out there. Once again, you could either hire a car or a car with a driver.

Earlier suggestions from JeanPerth and Kerry1g should definitely be included in your itinerary, such as Kings Park, Fremantle etc.

If it was me, I'd plan my days something like this:

Sat: Perth sightseeing, Kings Park, dinner in Northbridge.

Sun: Fremantle town, Fremantle markets, Cottesloe Beach.

or

Sun: Carmel and Bickley Valleys for lunch and wine tasting, Core Cider House, Araluen Botanical Gardens. (Most restaurants/wineries out this way are only open Wednesday to Sunday.)

Mon: Swan Valley, Caversham Wildlife Park

Tues: Rottnest Island.

Really, you could cram Perth and Fremantle sights into one day depending on energy levels. But I really think Fremantle is best visited on a day when the Fremantle Markets are open (Fri to Sun) and I wouldn't bother doing both the Swan and Bickley Valleys.

Edited: 03 September 2017, 15:36
Mentioned in this post
Margaret River
Margaret River
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River Chocolate Company
Margaret River Chocolate...
379 Reviews
West Swan, Australia
Core Cider
Core Cider
360 Reviews
Pickering Brook, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Northbridge
Northbridge
452 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Cottesloe Beach
Cottesloe Beach
1,448 Reviews
Cottesloe, Australia
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island
Cockburn, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

An alternative to the above itinerary would be to spend Saturday and Sunday in Perth/Fremantle. (Maybe a trip out to Caversham Wildlife Park could be thrown in?)

Monday you could pick up a car to get down to Margaret River, spend an entire day down there Tuesday, and depart from MR early Wednesday morning (maybe 8 or 9am) to make it to your flight.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

Thanks so much everyone! Appreciate the suggestions.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my mom does not drink alcohol, so she won't appreciate wine tasting, and we'll probably only allocate half a day to visit a winery (if we do decide to go). Wine tasting aside, all of us are into nature and won't mind a relaxing day near a nice farm/river. In this case, would you still recommend Swan Valley over Margaret River? Are the sceneries and nature in Swan Valley as nice as Margaret River? We're more into rivers/mountain scenes than beaches as we have quite a lot of beaches back home.

Thanks for pointing out that driving back to Perth in the evening is dangerous. If we do decide to go to Margaret River, we will drive back on Wednesday morning instead so that it's safer and so we have more time to spend there.

Now I'm looking into 2 options...what are your thoughts?

Option 1: Perth for 2 nights, Margaret River for 2 nights

Sat: Perth

Sun: Fremantle (will leave out Rottnest given limited time)

Mon-Wed: Margaret River area

Option 2: Stay in Perth for 4 nights in a row and do various day trips from Perth

Sat: Perth

Sun: Fremantle

Mon: Swan Valley, Caversham Wildlife Park

Tues: Rottnest

Wed: Perth

Mentioned in this post
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Margaret River
Margaret River
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island
Cockburn, Australia
Caversham Wildlife Park
Caversham Wildlife Park
1,443 Reviews
Whiteman, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5D4N in Perth in October

Thanks KYGan777! Are there specific reasons you recommend Bayswater Rental? Are they the cheapest and most reliable company to rent from in Perth? I was just reading their website and wondering if the $5 transfer fee per person (there are 4 of us so that makes $20) is worth the transfer, or is it better to rent a car from a company that operates directly at the airport (on day 1) to drive somewhere downtown, if we do decide to get a car from day 1.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Reply to: 5D4N in Perth in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted