We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

Hello

I am going Perth for the first time for a holiday. There will be five of us, (wife, 2 children - 10 and 14 yo, 65yo mum and myself).

We will be arriving at 8pm on Friday.

I am renting a car and will be picking it up at the airport upon arrival.

My brief itinerary as follows,

Arrive Friday night - Drive to Fremantle, check in and lights off for the day.

Sat - Explore Fremantle

Sun - Move out of Fremantle. Visit Caversham Wildlife Park. Proceed to MR for late check-in.

Mon - Explore MR.

Tues - Move out of MR. Check in farmstay at Pemberton.

Wed - Move out of Pemberton in the morning. My flight is at 9pm. what time should i arrive at the airport? Any suggestion on what activities to do after I check out at 10am from Pemberton?

Is my itinerary ok? Feedback please. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,052 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

Where to start?

Be aware that collecting the car from the airport will incur a daily surcharge.

Also be aware that driving at dusk, at night and at dawn in rural areas will put you at increased risk of hitting kangaroos and other nocturnal wildlife, which will be traumatic and expensive.

You do not have time to see Caversham and drive to Margaret River in one day.

Spending one day at MR then driving to Pemberton is really a waste of time. Margaret River and surrounds has so much to see and do that really you need two or three days minimum to really appreciate it.

As it stands you will spend way too much of your short time here driving.

I would suggest:

Arrive Friday. Get a taxi to Fremantle.

Saturday- Collect hire car from a Fremantle depot. You don't really need it to explore Fremantle but I don't think the depots would be open Sunday. Explore Fremantle. Note: If you're not planning to visit the Fremantle Markets, you could instead just head straight down to Margaret River Saturday morning and leave Fremantle for another day when you get back.

Sunday- Head down to Margaret River.

Monday- Margaret River.

Tuesday- Margaret River.

Wednesday- Leave MR in the morning, head for Caversham. Spend the day in Caversham. Early dinner in the Swan Valley. Head to the airport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
243 reviews
2. Re: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

I agree totally with YorkFoodie.

Take a taxi to Fremantle when you arrive - quicker, easier, and cheaper once you add parking into your costs.

If you can collect your hire car in Fremantle on Sunday you would save even more, as indicated, Fremantle can easily be explored by walking or using the free CAT buses:

…wa.gov.au/Timetables/CAT-Timetables#frecat

No point at all in driving 1 hour northeast to Caversham before you drive to south to the Margaret River region.

Definitely go direct to Margaret River Region on Sunday, and book in for three nights. Here's some tips for the trip, and also a good start for researching what you might like to do there:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25536…

I would personally suggest for Margaret River:

One day around the n/western end - Cape Naturaliste, Bunker Bay and Dunsborough. and Yallingup.

One day along Caves Rd - Yallingup, Canal Rocks, Prevelly, Margaret River town and wineries/chocolate etc

One day further south on Caves Rd - Boranup, Hamelin Bay, Augusta, Cape Leeuwin.

Tip: Book self catering accommodation so you are not driving at dusk/night and risking hitting wildlife.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 10:49
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
3. Re: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

Thanks YorkFoodie and Kerry1G for the valuable advise!

There will be 5 of us in the group. Is there any taxis at the airport that can accommodate us? Roughly how much would that cost (Perth airport to Fremantle)?

Is there any car rental companies that allow me to hire the car in Fremantle and return at Perth airport?

Is arriving at the airport 2 hrs before departure good enough?

Thank you and appreciate your comments!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,052 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

>>There will be 5 of us in the group. Is there any taxis at the airport that can accommodate us? Roughly how much would that cost (Perth airport to Fremantle)?<<

Yes, there are usually Maxi Taxis in the rank waiting. When you get to the taxi rank let the concierge know the size of your party and s/he will get you into the right size vehicle. You can Google Swan Taxis and there's a fare calculator on their website. The price is the same whatever company you go with.

>>Is there any car rental companies that allow me to hire the car in Fremantle and return at Perth airport?<<

Most will. Bayswater (which is the cheapest and most reliable) does not have an airport presence anyway but for a small fee they will take you from their Bayswater depot to the airport. When you're looking to book the car from whoever, enquire about pick up in Freo and drop off at/near the airport. And don't forget to order the child seat if you need to.

>>Is arriving at the airport 2 hrs before departure good enough?<<

Generally, yes.

5. Re: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2017, 04:03

6. Re: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2018, 22:35

Reply to: Perth 5D5N in end-Nov
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted