We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
S'pore
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi...

I'll be flying to Perth mid of May 07 and will be staying there for 8 nights. I will need your advice on the following as we have not book rooms and have not plan anything yet for this trip. FYI, this is our first trip to Perth as well as Oz and we are travelling with our 2 kids (4yr and 5mths old)

1) What will be the weather there?

2) We intend to rent a car. Do they provide baby car seats? Wat is the most reliable car rental there?

3) We intend to spend 2 nights in the city, maybe go down south-west. Any recommendation on the accommodation in the city? It's best that the place have a kitchenette facilities.

4)After reading TA, we intend to go to Kings Park, Caversham Wildlife, Freemantle. As we are Muslim and not a wine drinker, we intend to miss Swan River tour. Should we go to the Perth Zoo since we intend to go with the Wildlife? Where is the place to go shopping? Depending on the weather, which is the nicest beach in the city?

5) As for the south-west, we intend to drive to Mandurah/Bunburry/Busselton/MR. Any recommendations for those places. Tot of staying in Mandurah Holiday Village for couple of days and Abbey Beach Resort for couple of days. It that a good choice?

6) Is there any Farmstay available in those areas?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi Owl

May is the last month of autumn and can be wet (we wish!) or quite lovely and mild. Nights are definitely cold, especially for someone coming from Singapore. It could be beach weather as in to sit on and kids paddle in water but would think the water would be too cold to swim. Hillary's Boat Harbour is the best for kids in that respect - nice safe lagoon type beach with shops and restaurants adjacent.

Most posters seem to like M2000 for car rentals. You will need to request car seats/booster seats.

Perth Zoo is great for kids. Shopping - depends on what you want. There are major shopping malls all around the suburbs and there is a discount mall called HarbourTown in the Perth City area itself. Some posters do not believe that is very good, I haven't been there for a couple of years so cannot comment.

Your choices of Mandurah Holiday Village and Abbey Beach should be fine. It is not school holidays so should not be too busy. There was a recent post in relation to farmstays that should point you in the right direction. Similarly for self catering accommodation.- Saville Park seems to have a good reputation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi Owl!

May can be beautiful but bring a jacket for cool nights. I completely agree with the above poster in regards to Hillarys Boat Harbour (also called Sorrento Quay) www.sorrentoquay.com.au It's great for all of you. The beach is safe and there's a couple of waterslides (costs) although I think your kids would be too young for it. The restaurants and shops are lovely too. Be very careful at other beaches-it can get quite rough.

Definitely go to King's Park as you intend, perhaps also at night-it's beautiful!You may like to try Rottnest Island. It's a very basic island but has some nice beaches and you can hire bikes. You need to take a ferry over which you can get from Sorrento. (it's NOTHING like Sentosa-it's fairly untouched but it has a fair bit of history to it)

Absolutely get down south-it's so different to Perth and I'm sure you'd LOVE it. The roads are very good all the way around the south of the state. If you can get to Margaret River, which is not much further than Busselton, then have a look at Sunflowers Farm. (they have a web site). We stay there quite a bit and it's a fabulous place. They have a mini zoo with lots of different animals which the kids can feed and pat. They can come and go into the farm as they (you) like. There's also fantastic caves there and lovely beaches as well as beautiful forests. Abbey Beach is good if you just want to stay in Busselton.

Make sure you request a car seat wherever you hire your car from.

Please let me know if you have any other ?'s Have a brilliant time!

P.S. Singapore is our very favourite place on the planet!

S'pore
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi there...

Thanks for the reply....

Will sure check out Hillary Boat Harbour and HarbourTown while i'm in the city.

BTW, what's the diff with Perth Central and Perth City?

Some of the accomodations said for 2 persons and the charge for additional person. Will they charge my 4 yr old and 5 mth infant?

Is Whiteman Park and the Caversham Wildlife nearby each other? Is Whiteman Park recommended?

As for Rottnest Island, i think it will be out from my itinerary, as we need to travel by ferry and with my 5 mth with us, I think we will skip. However, saw the pics and tot it is a beautiful place.

Sunflower farm looks pretty interesting... and their units are big!!!

We are spoilt for choices..... Should we stay in Mandurah, Bunburry, Busselton or Dunsborough? The furthest we can go is Margaret River.........

As for the car seats, I will arrange it with the car agent and is thinking to book it with M2000 as recommended....

Singapore, a fav place on the planet??? It's a good place to live in but i can be quite stressful sometimes.... : p

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi - hope you have a great time in Perth.

Regarding the hotel - most hotels quote the price for twin/double share. With children you may need to pay extra for a pull-out bed and cot. You should check with the hotel first.

Ditto everyone's comments regarding Hillary's - lovely little lagoon for children to paddle. Weather should still be reasonable end of May.

I personally love Busselton, not too far to drive, great jetty/beach and laid back atmosphere.

I think though that Harbour Town may be a big disappointment coming from Singapore??? I think the SGD is less than the AUD so not many bargains at this stage.

Perth City and Perth Central are the same thing. You'll find though that everything closes a lot earlier than you would be used to and the city area is not very exciting after 6pm.

However, that said, with 2 little ones in tow, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

Mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi Owl, have a great time in Perth. We plan to do something similar in July so I was very interested in reading the postings. We have a two year old and a three year old traveling with us. And yes, we know it will be cold in July but due to work, etc. this is the only option for us. Can anybody tell me what the weather will be like exactly..

Could anybody recommend self contained units in the wider Perth area which are fun for children. Animals, etc. will be a must. We have a month and we also plan to travel up north (up to Shark bay) and down south. So any recommendations about accomodation and things to do with children are most welcome.

Thanks.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi Owl, hope this isn't too late for your planning.

In 2004 we went to WA and toured around the south-west for a week, staying a couple of nights in different spots to get the feel. We went back for a week at Busselton about 4 weeks ago. Will probably go back for another extended look at Albany some time.

Definitely make time while in Perth to go out to Rottnest Island for a (long) day. Catamaran ferries run regularly from Fremantle and the trip is only about 40 minutes (I think). The quokkas (small kangaroo family) are adorable and if you offer them fresh water they will drink from your hand - very popular with small kids (and big ones). You can hire bikes there (including 4 wheelers that take kids). Also lots of fairly quiet beaches, reefs, old ship wrecks, lighthouses, a tourist railway and some cafes at the jetty...

Bunbury would be interesting for a day or so. It has a nice cafe district and the resident dolphins in the harbour are fun - worth going out on a boat to see as they require patience to see from the beach. Apart from that, not much for the 4 YO but playing on the beach.

Busselton has a very long jetty (almost 2km long) with a really good underwater observatory at the end. This is really popular with kids as they can see fish and soft corals up close. Visibility when we were there at the start of April was about 15 metres. But check closer to the time whether the tram is running - it wasn't when we were there (maintenance) and a 4km round trip walk with small kids may be too much. Beaches in the area are really calm, no waves and shallow for a long way out. Water is very clear. But at the time you will be visiting it will be too cool for any swimming I would think.

If in Margaret River there are several really interesting tourist caves, some bretah-takingly pretty beaches, old lighthouses, lots of art & craft galleries and some very good cheese factories (top milkshakes). Don't need to go to any wineries, which are mainly pretty new and uninteresting if you aren't interested in the wine (I think there are around 80 of them). We didn't have kids with us, but there was plenty here for a few days. Have a look at Hamlyn Bay - when we were there the stingrays were feeding in the shallows about 1 metre from the beach

Inland from Mandurah there are a lot of historical sites. The old timber towns of Dwellingup and Yarloop have steam engines etc, but the tourist attractions throughout the south-west are all pretty low key.

Hope this helps.

S'pore
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi Act....

You are not too late after all....

Thanks for your post....

We have decided to stay in Busselton for 3 nights, and MR for a farm stay for 2 nights... Another 3 nights in the city...

Here is our latest plan :-

Arrive in Perth and stay 2 nights in Perth...

Will be going to Hillary's , Freo, King's Park, City Beach hopping and Caversham Wildlife... Will decide to do when we get there....

3 nights stay in Busselton (Mandalay Holiday Resort)

We still have not decide what to do there but most probably will drive up to Dunsborough and Yallingup as well...

2 nights stay in farmstay in MR (Sunflowers) - have not confirmed yet...

Maybe explore MR region, the caves... Still dont what to do and maybe decide when we get there...

As for Bunburry or Mandurah, we might just do a quick stop will driving back to the city...

1 last night in Perth city to do some shopping.....

We still have not decide what to do once we reach there. Hence thanks for your post...

Our plan keep on changing and changing and we still haven't book any accomodation yet... Dear me.... I guess i need to stop surfing the net once i book.... There are so many great places to go to....

We are just wandering we will get bored staying 4 days in Busselton??

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi Owl

Firstly I would suggest that if you haven't booked accom yet that you should start doing it now. That said I know there a some winter specials about and you should get a good deal.

4 days in Busselton with little ones should be just great, plenty to do and see at a relaxed pace. It will be most probably windy and cool so pack appropriately.

I think that because it's not peak tourist time you could be a little flexible maybe? If you like a place stay longer, if you don't, leave earlier?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Busselton as a base is fine. There is plenty to do in the region which includes Dunsborough, Yallingup, Margaret River, even Nannup if you want to see the start of the BIG trees. (BTW Duns & Yall are down from Busselton not up :-) ).

Special deals are available for accom on www.australiassouthwest.com

You should have no problem with finding places to stay as it is not school holidays and it is currently raining and has been for the past 4 days (and more to to come - fingers crossed!) This may impact on some of your outdoor activities but don't let it stop you completely. Just get some plastic travel raincoats and do "it "anyway!

Enjoy.

perth
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help - Travelling with Kids

Hi you may not like Perth Zoo compared with your zoo in Singapore Me and my 2 eldest children have never found it quite the same since going 2 Singapore zoo. The 2 youngest like it as they havent seen Singapore zoo. If you still want to go and you are here on sunday 13 may which is mothers day then mothers are free which may save you some money Caversham wildlife park is better