We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Wave Rock: is it worth it?

O.K.

after two months of planning our itinerary, we have almost decided

what we´ll do in our two weeks in Western Australia this August.

We have only a doubt. We had at first planned going to Wave Rock in a day trip from Perth. I understand that it is a long drive, we don´t care, but is wave Rock worth it?. or we´d better forget about Wawe

Rock and spend that extra day in Perth or somewhere closer to the City.

Thank you all

Jose.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

its a bit subjective but I would say NO as a special purpose day trip from Perth but perhaps YES as a side trip to perhaps Esperance or elswhere on the south coast. It's a fair distance southeast of Perth and pretty much flat sheep farming country. I certainly wouldn't make it a priority unless you're into land formations and geology perhaps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Long drive - not spectacular scenery - get to Rock - look at Rock - drive back. I'm with RollyB. Not my cup of tea as a specific journey. Great as a side trip to somewhere else.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Agree with the above.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Here's the touristical point of view: GO MAN GO. but stay the night in Hyden. Also an outback experience. I've never seen anything in Europe like Wave Rock. We also doubted about a visit but we were glad we did

Tet

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

The last post confirms what I was going to say. I have lived all my life in WA, mostly in Perth, never been to Wave Rock, and don't care if I never go. There are many other things I'd rather spend a day doing - I hope you have Rottnest, for instance, in your itinerary.

HOWEVER, any visitors that I have had, mostly from Germany, who have been to Wave Rock have really enjoyed it, even as that awful long day trip. So maybe it's more exciting for foreigners.

Hope that doesn't just confuse you more.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Well, different things to think about.

As we are travelling with my sisters, and they want to see the Rock,

maybe we shall finally go there. Maybe we shall try to spend a night at Hyden or any other point near Wave Rock, so the long drive will not be so long.

Thank you all for your advice.See you soon. August is almost here.

Jose

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Jose,

if you are making it a 2 day trip make sure you spend an hour or two in the town of York on the way. This is an historic town that will give you a feel for what life in the country was like 100 years ago. It will also break up the driving.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Hi Jose I have read your post and replies with interest as we are going to Western Australia in the first 2 weeks of July and we are hiring a campervan for the first week then spending the second week in and around Perth. The only thing we are not decided on is whether or not to go and see Wave rock too. It obviously is a long drive with little in between but it is a very unique attraction. I have seen some great pictures of it so then ask myself do we need to do that big long drive when we have seen it in photos anyway? I just can't decide either. We plan to drive South from Perth along the South west coast as far as Albany. Once there we are going to make the call whether or not we go back to Perth via Hyden.But as time goes on we are thinking more about staying by the beautiful coastal area and then maybe travelling quickly up the Albany highway back to Perth so we can spend more time near the coast.

Hi Penny71 - I see you are from Albany. Is it easy to drive to lots of beach places near you without going off the tarsealed roads?

Enjoy your trip Jose I will let you know when we get back if we do get to Wave rock!

Cheers Linda

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Thanks for your reply Kiwisailor.

As you go in July and we are goint in August, I will be waiting with

great expectacion your trip report, to see if you decided to go to Wave Rock.

By the way, I am at the early stages of planning a trip to New Zealand (North Island this time) in August 2008.

Jose

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wave Rock: is it worth it?

Hi Jose

Yes I will definitely let you know whether or not we get to Wave rock. We are not so keen to do the outback thing this time as last July a group of 17 of us hired 5, 4x4 vehicles and we drove from Alice Springs, camped through the Simpson desert and Innaminka and drove all the way across to Brisbane so we feel we have done the outback in a big way! It was awesome though. We would like to stck to the coast as much as possible this time so not so sure about the wave rock trip. Are you doing the Rottnest island trip? We think we might go with Captain Cook cruises and do a package deal with lunch included. As it is Winter then it will probably be too cold for swimming.

Great to hear you are coming to NZ. Have you been before? My hubby and I live in Auckland and are keen travellers so we have seen a LOT of our own country. If you need any advice I am happy to give it to you. We have even been to your beautiful city!

Happy travels

Linda