We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freemantle

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Freemantle

Staying here in November at well whats looks a really nice hotel..quite rustic and old..what is recomended in freemantle and surrounding area...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freemantle

www.fremantlewesternaustralia.com

Fremantle - one "e".

Which hotel? I wonder whether rustic and old can actually mean bad as opposed to charming...

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freemantle

They have a very active cafe scene & it is obviously the place where things are happening when most of Perth is quiet. We were there Good Friday this year for example - Perth CBD was pretty much closed, but pretty much everything in Freemantle was open and busy.

There is an indoor market in the old warehouses near the docks (easy walk from Freemantle CBD & train station) - worth a look but nothing special compared with other markets. There is another older indoor market just to the east of the shops which was a bit more interesting. Not sure of days/times for them.

It is the start point for a trip out to Rottnest Island, which is a MUST DO. But check the timing of Schoolies Week(s) which is in Nov (a relatively recent end of school ritual, best to avoid Rottnest then)

And you could also use it as a start point for a cruise up the Swan R to the wineries and Perth (although we prefer to use the train for Perth/Freeo)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,644 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freemantle

Check out the tours of Fremantle Gaol--fascinating.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,857 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freemantle

are you thinking of the esplanade hotel ?? its a nice hotel but not rustic...great location.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freemantle

yes its the Esplanade..is it good...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,857 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freemantle

a great hotel, although not a 5 star or anything but its in a fab position and has a nice swimming pool and good restaurants. Its a extremely comfortable hotel....probably the best in Fremantle. (sort of has a country feel to it.) I have stayed a few times and have always enjoyed my stay.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freemantle

Starskey - I suggest reading the reviews on this site if you have not done so already. They are mixed. As a local I would not stay there - overpriced and can be very noisy. I know a number of people who have stayed there and no-one was particularly impressed.

Also Freo in November - we have a week or so where 17yr old teenagers who are leaving school go crazy and Freo Esplanade - an area of lawn directly opposite the Esplanade hotel - is one of the places that can be impacted upon. Schoolies week this year is from around 17/11 I believe.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freemantle

We leave Perth to fly to Sydney on the 5th November.. hopefully the Hotelwill be ok..somewhere to acess the local beaches to recover from jetlag and to visit the main city without too much trouble..As long as there is good food and good wine I properably won't mind..

9. Re: Freemantle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 07:17