We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to perth- 5 days

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to perth- 5 days

hi

We have booked flights to perth 3rd april- plan to go from perth to melbourne and then to cairns. we have 15 days.

We have no idea what perth is like and what there is to do

How many days do you think we need?

We like surfing, being outside and seeing the country and culture and nature- not big on the city stuff though

Can you suggest things to do, how many days we should use up and travelling times. We are happy to hire a car if needed.

thank you for your time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

March is a great time to be here, the weather should be perfect... maybe a hot day or two.

Have a look at this website.. www.westernaustralia.com

You can do a cruise down the river from the city to Fremantle. It's a great way to see the city and the homes, with commentary and morning or afternoon tea (depending on the time of day of course).

www.captaincookcruises.com.au

Fremantle is worth a day trip, with lots of shopping, cafes, markets (mainly Friday and weekends for those), the Maritime Museum.

A day trip to Rottnest can be done too.

Hillarys Boat Harbour for some shopping - this place is built over the water.

Some wine tasting in the Upper Swan.

Kings Park has some beautiful views of the city and some lovely walkways. I'd stay at Scarborough Beach, it is a great white beach - have a look at this website: www.perthdunes.com.au

If you want a trip to the southwest, Busselton, Dunsborough, Margaret River and Yallingup have some lovely beaches, wineries, caves, restaurants etc.

Another website: www.margaretriver.com

A tip - school holidays start Good Friday - I think that is 9 or 10 April, so anything you want to book around that time, you better do soon. Good luck.

North Perth
Level Contributor
105 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

I think 4 days minimum coppertree.

If you like the beach, have a look at http://www.beachsideperth.com.au/index.html for an accommodation option. I've recommended this place before because the location is beautiful (right on the beach) and the price very good.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

hi

thanks for your quick replies

how long does it take to drive to margaret river?

and to the pinnacles?

which are good surf beaches - for a mildly confident surfer?

and is rottnest worth staying overnight in?

1 more thing - will we need a car to get between northern perth beaches, freemantle and pinnacles?

thanks lots

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,776 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

Perth to Margaret River is around 3 - 3 1/2 hours drive.

Perth to Pinnacles is also around 3 hours.

Two popular surf beaches here are Trigg and Cottesloe - check them out on

coastalwatch.com/camera/cameras_large.aspx…

I believe there can be great surf off of Rottnest - your call whether you wish to day trip or overnight. Easter will most probably already be booked out, even the accommodation that does not require ballot bookings but you can find out on:

www.rottnestisland.com

You will definitely need a car to visit the beaches and get around if it is nature you wish to experience rather than city "stuff", and especially if you will have a surf board. There are tours available to the Pinnacles, just google.

North Perth
Level Contributor
105 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

I think Rottnest surf is more for the very confident rather than mildly confident surfer.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

One of our favourite things to do on Rottnest is to pack up a picnic and the binoculars and go out to West End for a few hours. The only way to get there is to take the bus as far as Narrow Neck and walk the rest of the way or hire bikes and cycles. Tour buses go there but only pause for about 5 minutes.

If you hang around for a while, you usually will see dolphins and minke whales or even the odd humpback. A really fun way to spend a few hours.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

this is all great advice thanks

will dolphins, whales etc be around in april?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,548 posts
1,595 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

Perth is a lovely casual city with plenty of wonderful attractions. Perth also has beautiful beaches which you would enjoy.

IMHO Perth is definetly one city in Australia that you need a car. Its very easy to drive around as the roads are great with limited traffic.

You probably would be best suited to staying in Fremantle if you don't like the city. However, Perth CBD is little compared to other Australian cities and is very easy to manage.

I would split my time up with 5 days in each destination. April is a lovely time to travel in Australia and hopefully you will get some nice autumn weather.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

No humpbacks in April, but dolphins are pretty well almost always there.

UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to perth- 5 days

with limited time...

Very quickly ....

Stay in Fremantle

Fremantle itself

Rottnest (1 day)

Pinnacles (long day trip, 300km each way) (1 day)

Kings Park, Perth

Swan River (wouldn't bother with Swan Valley though)

The small zoo in Whiteman Park, or Perth zoo itself

Beaches - City Beach is the best overall, but we live there so a but biased. Scarborough is the main one other than Cottesloe which is always full of tourists.

Surfing - main breaks are at Trigg/ South Trigg; Scarborough; Brighton, and off the groyne at City Beach. Further towards Freo, Leighton Beach is normally pretty good as well. You can hire boards in Scarborough, and there is a surf school at Trigg.

Maggie River etc. is good, lots of breaks there, mainly reef breaks. Nice area anyway, worth a visit, and sample the wines at the wineries. If you go down there, use the inland route through Pinjarra and Harvey to see the different landscape there, and avoid Mandurah like the plague. Best pies in WA at Pinjarra Bakery I reckon.

You will need a car ! Lots of hire companies, see loads of No Birds cars around, they tend to be reasonably cheap. A 4x4 would be handy so you can get down the beach and forest tracks, but check the insurance will allow you to do that.

You'll need at least a week if you go down south, if stay near Perth probably 5 days absolute minimum. WA is a big place, and lots to see, so spend as long as possible here. If you like outdoor stuff, why go anywhere else in Oz, its all here !

I used to work in Melbourne, could do it in 3 days probably. 1 day down to Wilsons Prom/ Philip Island, 1 day to Great Ocean Road, and 1 day around the CBD. Maybe tag on a day to the Dandenongs.