We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

We've checked out various sites ranging from the most popular ones (Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty) to the local companies (M2000, Bayswater, Redspot).

The ones that offer the best rates, like Bayswater, often have poor reviews that state that users were either incurred hidden charges or were claimed to have incurred damages which obviously did not happen. Some even claimed that the managers of the car company even threaten them when they demand a closer inspection.

After checking out the rates I've come to realise that the cheapest car rental company is from Bayswater, followed by Redspot and then M2000. Any comments on these companies? Do they generally have a hidden cost with them?

Perth
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Starfrosty, what do these rates you have say they include? Unlimited km's? Full insurance? Generally they advertise without the hidden costs, so you should ask for the fully inlcusive rate and ensure there is unlimited kms (you dont get far with 100km in WA!) BEFORE you compare prices. :)

Erica

WA Visitor Centre

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Yup, these are the costs after damage reduction, unlimited km's, vehicle registration, admin and young driver's surcharge. I am under the impression from lots of reviews that there are lots of other hidden charges all waiting to spring out at you though, so I'm pretty paranoid about the same thing happening to me too. Is there any other possible charges they can spring at you?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

make sure you have unlimited KM as stated above. Generally if you do a "phantom" booking with one of the better companies (I like Hertz and Eurocar) you will see before you hit the PAY button all the charges you are likely to incur (except for fuel - the tank needs to be full or filled when you return the car)

As a general rule of thumb.. if it sounds cheaper than most - there's often a catch. Go with a reputable company - you may pay a few extra $$ but you will have peace of mind.. and on holiday that's gold!

Perth
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Not that I am aware of...but they can be sneaky! Perhaps other TAs that have personal experience can comment!

I agree to sticking with reputable companies. It's just peace of mind. What is their excess like?

I agree Europcar is a good company and depending on the size of car you want, their excess is around $330. They have all inclusive and unlimited km's and rates are much cheaper the longer you rent it for.

Erica

WA Visitor Centre

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Hi, Whenever I travel I use the web site Vroom Vroom. You just enter details, dates, pick up & drop off etc, and this gives you a list of cars, company's and rates. They do go with the bigger companies, but this tends to be safer. You can then compare cars available and rates and inclusions. You can book through them with no fee, and the money is paid to the car hire company on collection of the car. I always take out travel insurance which includes excess for the hire car, usually up to $3000. The last one cost me $120 for 2 weeks cover for excess on the car as well as all other travel insurance, much cheaper than the car hire extra insurance. You do not have to pay the extra insurance coverage with any car hire company, but will however have to pay this up front in the event of an accident, and then claim it back through the insurance company. Just look up on the internet to find this. I have never encountered any problems this way and would highly recommend Vroom Vroom. In regard to Bayswater Hire, I live in Perth and have driven past their site many times. Cars look a bit old and battered, but as to their reputation I can't say. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
651 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Bayswater vehicles are all fairly new & as far as I'm aware are all Toyota Corollas - but reputation is a mixed in my opinion. I used them (several years ago) without problem (took their full cover option) but I've posted some links to WA Consumer Affairs Dept. prosecutions of them on other threads - a couple of years old now.

Whoever you choose, use your digital camera liberally to photograph the vehicle before leaving the premises as a safety measure in case any disputes arise about existing condition of vehicle.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
302 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

Hi. We got back a few weeks ago from 2 weeks in Perth and used Bayswater without problem, really happy with it. Think I mentioned that in my Trip report. I'll go into some detail, as I know Bayswater gets discussed a bit on here and we just used them 20th March+.

We rented for ten days or so, getting a seven day special so it was A$33 a day (unlimited kms - as we went right down around Margaret River - we actually drove a thousands kms!). We took the optional $4? a day upgrade to lower the insurance excess should we need it. GPS is extra too but we didn't bother. They don't have MAPS in the car so BYO or some at counter i think in tourist brochures.

So we picked up from Subiaco as was near a hotel we stayed the night. They're not very flexible there so pre book as not heaps of spare cars sitting around! What i didn't expect was a $300 deposit onto the credit card straight away - and that was fully refunded when we got back so that was great!

We did expect a clean car but it was pretty muddy - the lady explained that's because they're a no frills company so the exterior is not valeted as much as the big companies. Inside was fine. Just made it but harder to see any damage you could say! But we did a thorough inspection and called the lady over to check some spots. She was reassuring and we received a drawing marked with any pre existing damage. Small marks don't count and larger than a ten cents is about the rule but just get that explained to you in person i reckon. The photo idea is good but I'd have felt silly doing it - but why not if it makes you feel better!

Corolla was a great drive. Were very happy we were able to return it on a Sunday when they were closed by parking in next street and leaving keys in drop box. Felt a bit nervous no one to check off the car was OK as we were leaving the country so i did wonder about my hefty deposit - but it's come back fine. We discovered the driver has to be the payer - my partner couldn't pay on his card as was not the driver (his license expired). But of a pain but ok as i had a credit card too. They have a bigger fee for pick up near airport I think so review that if applicable. another reason we got it in town as did not need to depart perth till day after. (p.s. for 2 people, a taxi from the airport is same price to CBD offpeak as a shuttle which takes longer so keep that in mind!).

So yeah no complaints and it sure seemed cheaper in comparison to the other well known companies.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

As a local who has used Bayswater more than once in very recent times, have no problems with them.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

drivenow.com.au is the great site for searching multiple rental companies. I like Hertz they got nice clean new cars

Perth WA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Car Company To Use For Car Rental?

M2000 has been a great provider to me in the past, but they are limited to their pick up and drop off as they distribute from Perth CBD only, the cars are new models and have been clean for me in the past and prices are good, I would agree that you should consider paying the little bit extra and get unlimited Km as WA is a big place and unless you are staying localy you will have to pay extra for your km's.