We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car from Perth

Malaysia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Hiring a car from Perth

Hi,

Would like to seek advice on car rental in Perth.

There are lots of options and I just couldn't get it right.

1. Is there any difference in renting car starting from the Perth International Airport and Perth City itself? Any additional cost will inccured?

2. Planning to drive till Shark Bay, is it possible to do so if I rent a car from Perth?

3. Is it advisable to opt for Damage Responsibility that reduce damage responsibility till nil so such far distance driving in WA?

4. Is it easy to find fuel/petrol station along the way from Perth to Shark Bay? And how much does a liter/gallon of fuel cost in WA?

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate all the help I could get.

Have a nice week ahead everyone!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

1. For Airport pick up/drop off there is normally a surcharge built in to the cost but depends on the company.

2. Yes

3. Can't normally go to Nil but close. I would. Some Travel Insurance covers Car Hire excesses so check that out first.

4. It is a straight road and the road houses are well sign posted. Fuel gets more expensive the further from the city you travel. Currently city average for ULP is $1.21, north of Perth $1.39. Check out on www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au every day.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

The airport surcharge is usually added to the cost of the rental and is a percenatge of the total cost, not a set fee, so for a longer rental it can be high.

For just a few days that surcharge might not be much more than the cost of airport - city transport for 2 or 3 travellers.

One other thought. Renting in the city you can choose your pick up time, maybe after sightseeing on foot, and depending on time you plan to return the vehicle maybe save a days renatal cost. eg if you collect a car at 10pm at airport and return at 9am on departure day, you pay for 24hrs for a everyday, but if you collect in city at 9 am on 2nd day, you have saved paying for a day. of course this depends on your flight timing, and also how early you want to start driving, as city office dont work the extended hours that airport ones do.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

HI

any car hire company to go for??

intend to get car from the airport and return at the airport.. so many car hire companies..

any recommendation for gd deals etc?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

We almost rent with Hertz. No complaints.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

I would get a online quote form all 4 major companies budget, hertz, thrifty and avis - all .com.au I am not sure but maybe Europcar is also at perth airport

I use them frequently and every time a different is cheaper. Avoid 3rd party booking sites - they do let you compare sometimes but they usually cost more and ask for prepayment, sometimes in full or maybe just a deposit which may or may not be refundable......bookign online direct with the company, normally no prepayment required and hence no drama later if you fidn a better deal and want to cancel the booking

Malaysia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

guys,

where can we get some discount code or promotional code to hire a car?

Thanks!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

Some car hire firms have arrangements with some of the airlines - see which ones are accessible from your favourite airlines website. Also, some of the major car hire firms offer discounts to automobile association members - if you are a member of one of these, check with them. Also, some holiday club memberships/privileges cards etc offer discounts.

8. Re: Hiring a car from Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 05:19