We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Hello, we want to visit relatives in Perth next year, probably late April or early May. I know it's a long way off, but we want to get some idea on the cost. We've just come back from a holiday in Singapore and Bali (fabulous) which we booked last June. A few months later in October my sister and brother-in-law announced they were emigrating to Oz, and left the U.K early December. If we'd known we may have gone to Oz instead!. Anyway the flight home was so long, Bali to Singapore, then to Heathrow, awake for 24 hours! Not looking forward already to an even longer flight next year!

We'd love to stopover in Singapore, but does that cost more, having a flight break?

We flew Singapore Airlines, which was simply wonderful, on the new airbus A380, was comfortable (for the first 10 hours, ha ha) but hubby can't bend one leg and seat does cut blood off after such a journey, but we just don't think we could afford business class, unless there are ways of getting a really REALLY good deal, does anyone know which is the best, most comfortable and cheapest way to get to Perth? Anybody with any good tips please?? Thanks a lot, advice appreciated.

Donaghadee, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Look out for offers if you are flexible with dates. We go on Saturday to Perth - got a great deal ( at the time - about 6 months ago) with Qantas for £480 economy each but there was no stopover option. Since then I have been worrying about the knees round the ears economy syndrome and happened to hit on a Qantas business class sale so was able to upgrade for much less than business class was when we booked originally - and half of waht it is at the moment. I would suggest keeping a good eye on what is out there. The other option is if you have some frequent flier miles you can use them to upgrade too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

My Aunt always flys to Perth from UK on Royal Brunei Business Class as is one of, if not the, cheapest BC. Stopover of course is in Brunei though, not Singapore.

Have you considered Premium Economy? Q have some good deals at the moment. I have not tried PE but will be doing so in July from London to Melbourne so will be able to comment personally then.

Stopovers don't cost more from a flight cost perspective. You have of course your accommodation costs etc though. Singapore Airlines have a $1 accommodation deal on here at the moment - check out their web site and see if it is applicable from the UK too.

The A380 does not fly into Perth so you may possibly again only have the London/Singapore leg depending on who you fly with.

Consider Malaysia Airlines too. It is who I normally fly to the UK with (BC). Your stopover would be KL. They have a 2-1 BC deal on at the moment.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Most intercontinental flights entitle you to a free stopover. You just need to decide where you would like to stop.

Airlines are a matter of preference but I think it is hard to beat Singapore Airlines for service and comfort. If you want a Singapore Stopover then book it through Singapore Airlines - see their website for details on hotels and prices- as they include heaps of extras with their stopover - not just transfers and discount on food but free entry to attractions such as the Bird park, zoo and free use of the tourist bus. Definitely worth while if you are staying a couple of days.

Malaysian Airlines are also excellent and you could stop over in Kuala Lumpur.

A very popular and cheap option is to consider Emirates. They fly from the UK and I think from not just London - they definitely come from MAnchester as well - but they fly UK to Dubai and then direct to Perth. The flight is maybe more evenly divided this way. Although there is no Asian stop over that way.

One of my friends likes Air Mauritius and stopping over for a couple of tropical days in Mauritius before flying on to Perth. They do a good fare too but you do have to count in your stop over. Something different.

CAthay Pacific do a good fare to Perth but flying via Hong Kong is longer and you definitely have to do a stopover as there is a big break between connecting flights.

I suggest you browse around the specific airline websites once you have narrowed down your dates and preferences. Get some quotes from travel agents but I usually find it is ultimately cheaper to buy direct with the airline website than through a travel agent.

London
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Fares for a stopover, in my experience, are a little more because of extra airport charges. Also the very cheapest fares often don't allow a stopover.

To get a bargain I suggest you register for e-mail newsletters from the airlines you're interested in and with the big companies such as Travelmood, Trailfinders, Austravel etc(they usually have ads in the weekend travel pages). That way you'll be the first to hear any special offers which can otherwise be hard to track down unless you're making it a full-time job!

Singapore would be an especially stopover for you as it's in the same time zone as Perth, making the jet lag rather more manageable.

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Thanks for the tips, will check them out. Although we're not planning to go to Australia until next year, we want to get the best deal we can. Good tip suggesting we sign up for email newsletters. We heard Malaysian airlines were good, personally we couldn't fault Singapore airlines, great service, but even seats on the A380 with good legroom became uncomfortable on a 13+ hour flight, plus our earlier flight from Bali!

We were on the upper deck, and felt pleased to have window seats. There were a few empty rows on our return from Singapore last week, some quick witted people were stretched out sleeping on the 4 middle seats (upper deck). Do wonder now whether they had empty seats in the curtained off business class section, If I was both cheeky and brave I could have sneaked in and maybe found an empty one ha ha (only joking)

Devon
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

I am travelling with singapore airlines in August- don't suppose they let you take more than 20KG?! How did you manage to get seats on the top deck on the A380- my partner would love that!

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Hi, you can book your seat choice 48 hours before you fly. We didn't actually book our flights direct with Singapore airlines, if we had I think you can book your seats at the time.

We booked with Hayes & Jarvis last June, and had to pay a large deposit of £2,200! That was almost 11 months before our holiday, so we hoped to have a perk of being able to pre-book our seat choice, (althogh we were able to give our preference) but no, we had to wait until 48 hours before. Good luck.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

Tiger Aiways have some exceptionally low priced tickets between Perth and Singapore. If you then purchase a low cost Singapore-London flight from another airline, you may be able to save money and have your stop over in Singapore. As an example, return Perth-Singapore flights on Tiger have recently been available at $312; the cheapest Singapore-London flight on zuji.com was Sri Lankan airways at $1069 - so total cost about $1381. Zuji's cheapest Perth-London airfare the same day was $1,694.

Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

I will avoid Tiger if possible. There were too many bad experience from people who had travelled with them. They do not even have a office address for you to go to in Singapore when you want to contact them (their phone line and email are hopeless).

I will suggest Jetstar between Singapore and Perth. At times you may get less than A$200 return per person.

10. Re: Best flights London to Perth via Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2009, 05:32