We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

I am curious to know about the isand I managed to get a photo of from the air prior to approaching perth. I cant remember how long in time it was before approaach, but it is a distinct shape of a 'fish' and really quite unique. I am interested to know what and where it is. Can anybody help and Thank you in advance.?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

Was this it? http://i26.tinypic.com/24q3hx4.jpg

That's Rottnest Island. Famous for its quokkas.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

'Rotto' is 12 miles off the coast. Named Rottnest by the Dutch explorer Vlamingh because he thought the quokkas were large rats - hence 'rats' nest'. They are, in fact, small wallaby like marsupials.

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

Hi Thanks for both replies. I have infact been to Rottnest but never seen the picture before from the air. After looking at this and then mine I dont think it is Rottnest. Hopefully my profile picture will come up showing my photo, but if not I could E Mail it on request? Unless you can attach pictures on here for people to see? Thanks again.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

Agree it doesn't look like Rotto. How long before landing was it and where were you coming from? There aren't that many islands close to Perth and it's not Carnac or Garden Is which are the other two in the area.

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

I hae managed to locate what the island is!!! It is Delambre Island. Close to that of Dolphin and Legendre. little known about it though. What really attracted me was how so much like the shape of a fish the island is. We are off again to Perth in January and I wait to see what wonderful things I will see this time. Thanks to both for the replies.

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

kgldsun, are you sure it's not Rottnest?

It would be very visible as your plane descends to land in Perth.

Delambre Island, on the other hand, is a tiny island just off the coast between karratha and Pt, Hedland ....15 or 16 hundred kms north of Perth and I think the plane would still be too high to see details or get a decent piccy.

Do let us know. lennyb

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

kgldsun, found the following on Google. It names the islands you mention. Were there lots of islands nearby to the one you photographed ?

<<<< Further north off of the Coral Coast are the pretty Montebello Islands stretching from Onslow to Karratha. The Montebello Group was named in 1801 by the French explorer Baudin, and is made up of more than 100 limestone islands. Several of the islands in this area include Barrow Island, Depuch Island, Direction Island, Dolphin Island, Enderby Island, Hermite Island, Legendre Island, Muiron Island, Rosemary Island, Tent Island and Thevenard Island. Some of these islands belong to the Montebello Islands, while others belong to the Muiron Islands and the Dampier Archipelago..>>>>

lennyb

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

Hi lennyb

To search for the Island I zoomed in on various areas around W Australia. The Delambre was the one that certainly matched my very clear photo in shape. If you like I could send it to you for you to have a closer look. I can hardly remember what was around it or how long before landing we took it. What do you think?

It was our second visit to Perth and we are coming again Jan 2010 so I will be on the look out again.

I find it quite fascinating, but then again I have found most of W.A fascinating. This time we are going to Bali for 4 days but we hope to visit Albany and Denmark way.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

kqldsun I have not been to this part of WA but I have had a play on Google Earth. I think you are right.

I played with the altitlude (to about 12km abouve sea level/ approx 40,000ft) to get a view at a similar height and rotated it to get your flight path. The shape I found was almost identical to what you have in your avatar.

The quality of your photo and the image of land from that height you were probably at look very similar to some I took flying over Newfoundland where I can actually identify icebergs off the coast in my photos. On a clear day you can get suprisingly good shots of the land underneath- not perfect but certainly clear enough to identify what you are looking at.

10. Re: Island in sight on approaching Perth Int Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2010, 05:21