We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to live in Perth??

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place to live in Perth??

Hello eveyone!!

My girlfriend and I are moving to Perth in July to start our 12 month working holiday visa. We have been backpacking around Asia for 6 months and looking forward to settling down in our own 1 bedroom apartment. We have been looking at places on Malcolm Street and just wondering if this is a good area (i.e safe, good transport, restaurants, bars, central, etc...) We will be looking for any kind of work so commuting may be necessary. Our budget for weekly rent would be about $260.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Conzel

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Le Vietnam
£, Cafe, Asian, Vietnamese
Friends Restaurant
££££, European, Australian
Grand Lane Fish House
££ - £££, Seafood, New Zealand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

The internet is your best guide. Where you live will depend upon your budget and your tastes. This is a city of 2million people and there are many wonderful locations.

Are you are referring to Malcolm Street in West Perth? This is a great location if you work in the city of nearby. Remember Perth has some limitations with its public transport network but if you lived & worked in this area you would be close to most things. If you can get an apartment in this area for $260/wk then you have done well! This is an expensive area otherwise.

You will need references to rent an apartment in Perth so it may be good to start making contact with real estate property managers now and finding out what you need to provide in order to be in a good position to get a lease. Bring lots of extra money for a security bond and one months rent in advance. Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

I have lived in South Perth for the last 3.5 years and absolutely love it. But you'd also be doing well to get an apartment for $260 (the cheapest ones in my building are $280 - which is considered exceptionally good for the area).

If I didn't live here I'd definitely consider Highgate (between the city and Mt Lawley). Lots of apartments in that area, within walking distance to lots of things and well served by buses. I house-sat there for a few weeks and really enjoyed the area and the vibe.

Edited: 04 May 2010, 01:03
Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

...and now a totally unbiased opinion...;-)

Subiaco :)))

You might find 1 or 2 apartments within your budget

reiwa.com.au/lst/lst-resrent-results.cfm

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

You may find some in East Perth as well...

There are several high rise apartment buildings near the CBD, so I'm sure you'll find something.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

City Beach by far!!! I've lived here all my life. In fact my parents were one of the very first people to build in City Beach.

You will need to check with http://www.aussiehome.com.au/ to find out if there are any places in City Beach that you're able to rent and how much it will cost. Just remember that any place that overlooks the ocean and the Swan River is going to cost a lot more. Aussies love their water view!

The http://www.aussiehome.com.au/ website is very useful when researching housing in Western Australia. You might like to housesit instead. Here are few websites that might of be of interest:

www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/…

http://www.housesitworld.com.au/sitwa.htm

www.housecarers.com/…

I hope that you enjoy your stay in beautiful Perth. I always say that Perth is the undiscovered gem of Australia! People in the Eastern States would be extremely jealous if they knew just how wonderful it is!

Mentioned in this post
City Beach
City Beach
273 Reviews
City Beach, Australia
Swan River
Swan River
2,689 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

A massive thank you to everyone who has helped out. We are thinking of going to Fremantle for 6months - would you recommend this as a good place to live?

perth
Level Contributor
311 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

I would recommend Fremantle as a great place to live as good access to markets, restaurants, museums, hotels, public transport to city etc plus has lots of character. I think you will find something reasonable close to your budget..

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

Thanks RichieR Fremantle it is :)

Mentioned in this post
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
9. Re: Where is the best place to live in Perth??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 05:15