We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit?

England
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
185 reviews
Best time of year to visit?

Hi

Can anyone please say the best time to visit Pert (from UK) between around mid October to mid March. We would also hope to tour down as far as Albany so wouldn't want to visit when its too cold down there either. We always imagined WA to always be hot and sunny but maybe not?

We'd like a week in Perth on arrival, maybe self-catering if anyone can recommend somewhere not too expensive but clean and basic will be fine for us two seniors.

Any tips and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,028 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Best time of year to visit?

WA is a large place so it can "always be hot and sunny"as long as you are in the right area :-) Obviously if you have read my posts on Perth weather, the metro area and south west is not currently fitting in to that category. Sunny yes - Hot - definitely not!

Re Perth weather - I am a fan of late September/October - warm weather but not stinking hot and cool nights; occasional showers a possibility but unlikley and would not impact greatly on day to day events. November can be mid 30s but still perhaps worth a thought. See the FAQ on Perth weather for more.

Albany is much further south and hence hot weather will require a visit in the summer months such as January or February. You can still get warm weather earlier on in the lower south west but normally a few degrees colder than Perth metro and quite often showers in that vicinity that never make it to us.

If I had to make a choice I would definltely take a punt on the weather and do your tour in mid to late October or even November.

Check out www.westernaustralia.com for info on our great state. Can't help with recommendations re self catering accommodation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Best time of year to visit?

I agree with Perthite - October November is great... we can have some nice warm days.

The rest of the time can be downright unbearable for us, let alone anyone from England, and you don't want to spend days inside in the air conditoning when we have so much for you to see.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,196 posts
2,027 reviews
3. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Hi,

As mentioned by others WA is a massive State and it all depends where you are regarding what sort of weather you are going to experience.

Nth WA - ie...Coral Bay / Exmouth / Broome etc. is best seen in our winter / spring time / July / August or Sept - out of stinger season, beautiful sunny warm days and perfect water temps.

My favourite time in Perth is early Dec, the start of summer - I love Perth beaches ....and hanging out at the beach.

DE Perthrite always places a weather report on the forum, so you can catch up reading those for info too.

For places to stay - check out www.wotif.com.au under Perth.

wotif.com/hotels/australia-perth-apartments.…

wotif.com/hotels/australia-perth-hotels.html

www.stayz.com.au/

EM.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Hard to say. We had 40C in Hyden and Kalgoorlie in november once and 15C in Albany a couple of days later. After that we hit up the cost north of Margaret River and had 30C again. We found Perth in november windy in the afternoon (Fremantle doctor) at the shore but temps was pefect again. North of Perth we had a wonderful time october november. Keep an eye on schoolies end of november and lodging along the coast like in Scarborough and Cottesloe already was hard to get. Make your reservations ahead of time. In Scarborough we stayed here: seashells.com.au/resorts/…index.html Location, location and wonderful apartments but unfortunately not cheap. Just steps from restaurants and a good supermarket (Coles if I remember correctly).

Tet

Edited: 27 June 2010, 10:59
Perth
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Best time of year to visit?

My personal preference is Autumn late March/ early April. Not only is the weather good, to oceans are warmest. Autumn days are lovely, with the river often looking like glass in the early morning. The evenings have started to cool down, but there's plenty of sun left. The kids are all at school, whereas in November many of the older children have finished for the year. It's likely it'll still be nice in Albany.

England
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
185 reviews
6. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Thanks everyone for your advice and links. We would be touring the area between Perth and Albany and would prefer to come any time between October and February for about a month. When are the school holidays during that period of time please? We'd prefer to avoid the busy time if at all possible. We are seniors so time is more or less our own.

Is there a town or area anyone can suggest as a nice and convenient base for touring both Perth and Albany? Would it perhaps be better to tour Perth for the first week and then take off south stopping wherever and whenever we wish using motels along the way?

All tips and advice gratefully received.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,945 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Best time of year to visit?

School holiday dates are here http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/termdates/

Weather wise I would be choosing Oct/Nov rather than any later. After that it just gets far too hot to be truly enjoying driving and sightseeing.

I feel you can get Perth itself over and done with in 4 days. Most visitors I have here feel they see what they need to see in that time.

Then - depending on how much time you actually have - I usually take my visitors to Margaret River - tonnes of exploration via day trips in every direction (I believe 4 to 5 days is the minimum in this region - more if you can spare), then Walpole - plenty of lovely places to drive to around there for 3 to 4 days. Then Albany for a few more days.

Depending on your allowable timeframe - you could come back via places like Nannup and Ballingup - pretty little towns.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
8. Re: Best time of year to visit?

If you decide to come later in the Year Dec - Feb (during the school Holidays) and are travelling down south you will find places will book out quicker...

I go down south every January and find the weather to be really nice.

Another website to try may be www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/wa/south-west

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
9. Re: Best time of year to visit?

FYI: Really good location.

In Bunbury Ive always stayed at Koombana Bay Caravan Park - there is tent land chalets and cabins - Its on the water (not really for swimming) across the road from a waveless beach (this is where the Dolphin Discovery Centre is) walking distance to the City.

10. Re: Best time of year to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17