We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

emigration

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
3 posts
Save Topic
emigration

hi there we are cosidering emigrating to perth. i am married with two boys aged seven and ten. could anybody please give me any rellevent info about perth especialy nice areas to buy property we would have a budget of around $400,000+ aussie dollars im a psychiatric nurse and my wife is training to be a social worker. everybody i know who has been there, says its a beautiful part of australia. could anyone sugest nice suburbs to live preferably not to far from perth and ideally near the sea that would be within our budget. many thanks.

mike

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: emigration

Hi mikeeds,

My husband and I have been thinking about trying to emigrate to Perth for nearly two years now. I am a Registered Nurse, and he will shortly be in the IT profession.

I have learnt a lot about Perth, and have a friend who's daughter lives there (she is a nurse too) We are going to Australia in 10 weeks and are going to meet up with her for the first time. She loves it over there,has been there for 3 years now (since emigrating from UK) and she has given me a lot of advice about the lifestyle, but unfortunately not what the different areas are like to live in.

From what I have heard, it is a lovely place, and there are a lot of nice suburbs to choose from, especially along the cost.

If you want to see some examples of places to move to, a good website is www.aussiehome.com It tells you about accomodation to buy or rent in perth and surrounding areas. It tells you all about the areas, were they are located on the map, what the suburb is like for schools and ammenities etc. It's a very good site.

Hope this has helped...

Leeds
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: emigration

Hi

I have a brother who lives in Perth. He's been there for over a year now. I will be joining him hopefully at the end of this year when my visa comes through.

He lives in the Vines in swan valley. This is the wine growing area and also has a very nice golf course. They are selling up and moving to the coast now as they are finding the daily 40 min drive to the beach a bit of a pain.

Here is a great website that he bought his house from while living in the uk - www.reiwa.com.au

They are loving it and kicking themselves for not moving there earlier on in their lives.

Hope this helps

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: emigration

Hi there!

I am also looking at moving to Perth from Illinois, U.S.A. in the next 6-7 years. I'm divorced mother of an 11 year old daughter, whose father also lives in Illinois, which is why I won't consider going sooner.

I have done some extensive research on the web and am planning a 3-week trip to visit Perth sometime this year. I also am looking for something in the "suburb" areas and preferrably waterfront, but that's not a must.

I did find an Australian realty page, if you'd be interested in knowing about it.

I would be more than happy to share any other information that I come across and would appreciate any in return!

I can be reached at "otterpup1967@yahoo.com".

I look forward to hearing from you! Happy hunting!

Sydney, NSW
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: emigration

G'day!

I'm a Sydney bloke who spent 3 years living in Perth, and I found the contrast between the two cities remarkable. Sydney is built mainly on rock and alluvial soils, Perth is rock & sand.

Hence gardens and lawns sustain in completely contrasting environments, dictating the look of the place. Perth more 'native' - reds and yellows, Sydney more 'greens and browns'. Perths sits on the Swan river - Sydney on the big harbour.

Rest assured both have beautiful beaches, Sydney's in smaller expanses, Perth's in seemingly endless stretches.

On return there two years ago on business, I was staggered by the rate of growth - Perth is stripping the other state capitals.

What I really enjoyed about Perth was the facilities for sports and entertainment in seemingly every neighbourhood - there is literally, something for everyone. Sydney does have these facilities as well - obviously - however less lberally sprinkled, and there's more folks using them.

Perth has a huge UK expat population, you won't be lonely there!

One of the newer options is for people to purchase coastal properties in Rockingham to the south, and Yanchep etc. to the north - all of the burgeoning beach suburbs are connected to good roads and public transport, and, importantly - good schools.

Every cuisine under the sun is available, and if you enjoy seafood, you very much have the option of going out and hunting your own!

It's the move of your lifetime, and your family's - and one you won't regret. Good Luck.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: emigration

Hello Mike

Well, my husband & I have lived all our lives in WA, and 10 years in Perth.

$400k for a property is a great budget - I'd buy anywhere north of the city along the coast, the further north, the more bang for your buck. And those areas have a lot more young families than anywhere too close to the city. The freeway runs completely north to south of Perth following the coastline, so you are never far from anywhere if you live by the coast. We just drove from the city (where we live) right out to the end of the freeway yesterday, it took about 10 minutes. We were looking at some display homes in Iluka - I noticed quite a few houses for sale out that way - it's a beautiful area - and right on the coast.

My advice to you on buying south of the river is not to! The areas along the coast closer to the city are beautiful but too expensive (eg Cottesloe and Fremantle), but as you get further south, it gets a bit yukky. (Sorry, any offendees?) I'm sure many that live there will disagree, but my opinion comes from an unbiased viewpoint. Check out the discussion at http://www.virtualtourist.com/f/p/baa3/ for a bit more info.

There are dreggy areas north of the river also, of course - but if you stay in the areas close to the beach, you will be fine.

If I were you, I'd do some real estate searches under the "Joondalup" area, which is the northern suburbs council (although the actual suburb of Joondalup is inland a bit) encompassing such seaside suburbs as (starting from closer to city and going north) Sorrento, Hillarys, Kallaroo, Mullaloo, Ocean Reef, Iluka, Burns Beach. The national newspaper recently reported Perth as the number one Aust city for continued growth in real estate prices, so it's a great place to buy.

Also http://www.street-directory.com.au might help you a bit.

BTW we were in Wales in August, we stayed in Llangollen and Llandudno, beautiful place!

Naomi x

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: emigration

This is probably a very obvious question but have you thought about how you will miss the rest of your family in uk? My relatives emigrated and regretted it. My children and their cousins have grown up as virtual strangers and we missed the grandparents terribly when they were ill and at the end of their lives. All the births, weddings, school concerts,graduations, funerals they never attended -Sad but true.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: emigration

Dear Mikeeds. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you have no chance of anything remotely near Perth by the sea for that price unless you don't want a house on it. Although, I don't know what your idea of "not too far from Perth" is.

I have just scanned the Real Estate classifieds from Saturday's West Australian. To get anything within that price range you will need to go south to Rockingham/Waikiki/Secret Harbour or north a long way (my concept of distance). These suburbs are very new and undeveloped. I drove up to the very end of Marmion Avenue in December (where you'll need to go) where the road actually ran out and the homes are very boxy and budget type.

The only other alternative I can see in the paper is villa type arrangements. I don't know whether you can access the West Australian Newspaper classifieds via internet, but I'm sure you can subscribe.

I think that if you give up the idea of seaside, you will find something more like what you have in mind. Real estate went crazy here the last couple of years. You can always upgrade after you're settled. Besides, not much in Perth is more than 30 or so minutes from the coast.

You may get a better idea by looking at some real estate websites. You could email your requirements to them and see what they come up with. If you have further questions, I have some friends in R/E I can ask. Some of the main Real Estate Agencies here are:

www.royweston.com.au www.ljhooker.com.au

www.acton.com.au www.satterley.com.au

www.rh.com.au

There are plenty more, but you can also check out www.reiwa.com.au

I hope you find what you're looking for and to see you in Perth soon! You'll love it!

PS: We were in Wales last year and loved it. Very beautiful, great people.

Ipswich
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: emigration

Hi Mike,

My family and i visited my father last Xmas. I also visited him early 2004 he emigrated in 1966 so meeting up with him was special. Anyway we would much love to move and what a better place would be than the Perth area. He lives north of Perth in Kingsley about 15mins by rail 25mins by car. Kingsley comes under the city of Joondalup, the road to the beach is so easy and takes about 5-10mins by car.The property market is very reasnable and a 5 bed 2 bath with pool would be about $320,000-$350,000. If you go towards the beach area say a place called Hillarys then you are talking big money as the houses there are huge, i mean huge. Good luck,

Tony Gibbs

wa
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: emigration

HI .. I am an RN working in Fremantle , my husband is a radiographer working in Rockingham , there are a lot of English in Rockingham , but there seems to be a few social problems... which I am sure you left the UK to get away from lol.

We are currently renting in Applecross which is very upper class and not very friendly but we panicked :) .. Winthrop is a nice area and $400 will get a nice house, as will Booragoon, and Kardinya.. all within 30 mins of Perth city .

We have 4 children , aged 16,14,12,10 ...... and the weather is bloody hot .. but lovely the kids are having a ball .......

Please feel free to ask anything which may help you

Best wishes for your move

Lesley...... lellyx4@msn.com

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: emigration

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure whether you're still watching your thread, but I had a look at Kingsley as per previous post by Gibbsy. You can get properties within the $320-$400K range, but Kingsley is on the east side of the freeway and not near the city, so as I said, you will need to move away from the beach and the city to get what you're after, but you can always upgrade later. The market has relaxed somewhat after a bit of a peak which should give you better opportunities.

Still, as I said before, it depends on your definitions of "not too far".

If you need any help with anything, let us (on Trip Advisor) know.