We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

If you are an overseas visitor and you have booked tickets to fly with Tiger Airways within Australia I am sorry to advise that the Australian authorities have grounded all Tiger Airways flights within Australia from 2 to 9 July.

This does not involve Tiger Airways flights flying into Australia from Singapore, just flights within Australia.

This is the first airline in Australia to be grounded and authorities advise that they have some safety concerns with the airline. This has made the front page news of all media in Australia.

At this stage there has been no announcement about flights after 9 July but many are saying it will take weeks if not months for them to get back in the air.

If you are looking at booking with Tiger Airways I would wait to see what happens.

Pam

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

There is already a thread on this topic. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k4608…

Edited: 05 July 2011, 00:28
chicago
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

HI daughter flying Sinapore to Perth Aug 6 on Tiger so far they say airlines flying but not to happy about their record.. Can you recommend another airlines ? She did it to save money without checking their record. Almost wish they would announce not flying then now so she could rebook. on safer airline. I keep checking their site could you send me any updates you see in Australlia

so I could pass on to her..I told her Quantas or Virgin any advice?She is traveling with university graduate school group now in Shanghai and Singapore ...Tokyo got cancelled....I'm from Chicago area so don't see much about Tiger except on internet....A few are heading to Australlia to sitesee after study/ travel for international business.. checking out hostels any advice appreciated....Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

The international side of the business is not (yet) affected by the ban - this relates solely to intrastate travel within Australia.

If you click on the link in the post directly above yours you will see a larger thread of posts with links to current news articles with additional information.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

Tiger flights are now cancelled until 31 July.

The main domestic airlines in Australia are: Virgin, Jet Star and Qantas.

This is a good site to check for all these flights:

www.webjet.com.au

Flights from Singapore to Perth with Tiger have not been affected, it is only the flights within Australia.

This is a good site to check for accommodation: www.wotif.com.au or www.hostelworld.com.

I would recommend them staying in Fremantle as there are lost of restaurants/cafes, bars, shops, nightclubs etc within easy walking distance.

Most of the backpacker hostels are in Northbridge which is one suburb north of the city area. Perth city at night is very quiet with not a lot of restaurants or nightlife. Northbridge has a few streets with restaurants, clubs etc.

This is where she can get more information:

Western Australian Visitor Centre

Address 55 William Street, (corner of Hay Street), Perth, 6000

Phone +61 08 9483 1111

Fax +61 08 9481 0190

Email travel@westernaustralia.com

Website http://www.wavisitorcentre.com

I hope your daughter enjoys her visit here in Perth.

Pam

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,584 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

>>This is the first airline in Australia to be grounded<<

My recollection is that Ansett was grounded twice: Christmas 2000 and Easter 2001. And folded quite soon after the second grounding.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

You obviously have a better memory than me sydneynick. I stand corrected.

Perhaps I should have said grounded this decade????

I just hope Tiger can get it together as we have seen some great flight prices with the competition in the Australian skies.

People in Perth particularly suffer as we don't seem to get the extra good discounts that you get in the East. It is much cheaper for us to go to Bali than it is to holiday in the East.

Cheers

Pam

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

Yes Ansett was grounded in the lead up to their demise.

Pricing of any level will never make up for lack of quality, service, or apparent safe practices.

I would never have flown Tiger in the past and will never fly them in the future.

Their departure from Australian skies will make utterly no difference to my future travel.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

"Tiger passengers win refunds"

canberratimes.com.au/news/…2227975.aspx

9. Re: Tiger Airlines all flights grounded from 2 to 9 July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 04:16