We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Itinery

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Australia Itinery

Hi fellow travellers, looking at some inspiration in regards to another visit to Australia this coming Christmas/New Year. In the past i have usually stayed over on the Gold Coast, however my last visit there was more for ducks than putting sun tan lotion on. So my travel dates are into Australia on the 27th Dec and leaving on the 18th Jan. Was thinking of staying x amount of days in Perth then flying over to Adelaide or Melbourne. Already seen Sydney. So what do you recommend to see in Perth and Adelaide please.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia Itinery

Hi,

A few more details regarding your interests & budget would be helpful in assisting you in making out a workable itinerary.

Do you ant to hire a day ?? ie Drive from Adelaide to Melbourne on the Great Ocean Road ?

What airport are you flying into & departing from ?

Perth would be an excellent entry point into Australia especially as it seems lately it's the only state this Jan which is actually having a true summer !

For additional info on Perth - see the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18830-Getting_…

Itinerary suggestion without knowing your interests. (days)

Perth - 5 days - Adelaide - 2 days - Kangaroo Island - 3 days - drive the GOR to Melbourne - 4 days - Melbourne - 4 days.

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia Itinery

What i have got in mind is to fly into Perth, guidance in where to stay please, i believe Scarborough is recommended, i would hire a car and looking at day trips to Freemantle etc. I was thinking of staying in WA for around 7 nights, then flying out to Adelaide, i have no idea of where to stay or things to do, but it would be day trips, rather than 2 nights here and 3 nights there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia Itinery

Have a look at the following accommodation in Scarborough.

Seashells Resort

Perth Dunes

Observation Rise

Observation Rendezvous Hotel

The first 3 are self contained apartments ... the hotel is a high rise hotel.

There is a new one on the beach, but my senior brain isn't working .. as soon as I find out the name, I'll let you know.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia Itinery

Ah .. found it.

Quest Apartments in Scarborough.

Also have a look at Scarborough Sandcastles.

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia Itinery

Thank you guys for your feedback, looking at the seashells apartments in scarborough, they do look nice, however its that double edged sword in staying there for 20 nights or splitting it in half and trying another state like Adelaide for example. The doubt i have got is if we had a really good time in WA and then got to SA, is there anything in SA iterinary wise that could fill up 7 to 10 nights of our stay?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia Itinery

Hi. You originally mentioned both Adelaide and Melbourne so do consider Ellemay's suggestion of driving between the two, that way you get two quite different cities to any of the others and also the Great Ocean Road. Or you could do Adelaide, the nearby wine regions including the famous Barossa, Kangaroo Island famed for its wildlife, Flinders Ranges, etc. Suggest you go into the forums for South Australia (Adelaide) and Victoria (Melbourne) and have a look at the Top Questions links which you will find in the panel on the top right of the screen, and have a look at the Trip Reports and other information and see what appeals to you, there's lots of ideas to fill the time but the question is what will make for a great trip for *you*.

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia Itinery

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, next case scenerio is if i decide to stay in Perth for the duration of my time (21 nights) would you say there is ample to see? I will have a hire car and dont mind travelling for the day out etc. My thinking is staying in the scarborough area and days out to the likes of Freemantle, Perth itself. How far in one day can i go to see attractions?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,295 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia Itinery

How long is a piece of string? Fremantle (one "e" to facilitate searches) is only half an hour by car from Scarborough, as is Perth CBD. Personally I would recommend staying in the Perth area a few days and then touring down south where it will be a bit cooler. Whatever you plan make your bookings as early as you can as that is prime time for people on holidays.

You can get a lot of information on things to see and do by looking at the Trip Reports (over at the right of the screen) and itineraries as suggested by others. You can also look at the official WA Tourism website at

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

We can't choose for you as only you know your interests, capabilities and budget.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia Itinery

21 days seems a long time to stay in Perth if there are other parts of Australia you haven't seen. Possible day trips you could do from Perth include the Swan Valley (wineries, wildlife park) or going north to Nambung National Park to see the Pinnacles. I haven't been south of Perth myself, but a few days down there sounds like a good idea.

You would have plenty of time to see a lot in either Melbourne or Adelaide, or a reasonable sample if you chose to visit both.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia Itinery

I'm with YF on this one. Head south. You can't go wrong in SW WA.