We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please comment on my plan / itinerary

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alor Setar, Malaysia
3 posts
Save Topic
please comment on my plan / itinerary

This is roughly the plan for my trip to Perth. It will be from 31 May to 8 June (arrive on 1/6 - morning). It still needs fine-tuning as I’m not sure whether or not it’s doable. Please give opinion & advice as this will be my first visit and I want it to be a memorable one.

Day 1 – arrive in the morning, go straight to Freemantle. Spend the day there and go back to the city for the night.

Day 2 – Caversham Wildpark, then off to Pinnacles. Spend the night at Cervantes

Day 3 – Lancelin, then off to Busselton. Plan to stay at Margaret River for the night.

Day 4 – whale watching at Flinders Bay, Cape Leeuwin & surrounding area. Spend the night at Margaret River

Day 5 – off to Pemberton (Gloucester tree), then go for the tree-top walk. Plan to spend the night at Albany

Day 6 – Albany & the surrounding area, back to Perth.

Day 7 - spend time in the city.

- For day 3, will it be better if I spend the night at Busselton? I excluded Bunburry from the plan. Am I going to regret it? I have doubt about the plan for day 5 as well, since I’m really not sure whether I can reach Albany before dark.

- Can anyone suggest a reputable car rental company? I think of renting from Bayswater as it offers the lowest price but other suggestions are most welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

Hmmm not remotely realistic at all. Have you taken a look at the distances on googlemaps or whereis ? And actually allowed yourself time to arrive, lookaround, absorb ? Or are you just planning to drive past everything at great speed ?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

You're good as far as day 2, then it gets pointless for the reasons PP has stated.

Why Lancelin? Your life will still be complete if you don't see Bunbury.

Cervantes to MR is 5 hours of driving. Driving outside the metro area for visitors is best done in the hour of daylight. As it gets dark all the critters come out onto the roads and crashing into a kangaroo will wreck the car and your holiday. So hardly any time left to sightsee as daylight is getting shorter.

MR to Pemberton is 1 1/2 hrs, then on to Albany another 2 1/2 hrs+. So over 4 hours of driving.

Albany back to Perth is another 5 hours, so look around fast.

Bayswater is probably your best bet.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
25 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

You may want to spend a weekend in fremantle and not on a weekday.

I would also skip Pinnacles and focus on the rest of the itinerary.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 16:13
Alor Setar, Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

err.. I'm afraid no. will do so after this

Alor Setar, Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

thanks a lot for the replies.

looks like i have to plan everything again

Edited: 13 March 2012, 16:46
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

"looks like i have to plan everything again"

Excellent idea.

Please also factor in that in may be wet and cool and you have a long weekend in there - June 4th is Foundation Day Public Holiday. Half the population of the metro area will head "down south"so be prepared...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

Yes don't head south until Monday afternoon, or Tuesday morning, as the accommodation south of the city will be booked out.

Take your time to "smell the roses" -- we have so much to show you and you can't do it by zipping past in a car.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

Please post your new itinerary.

Pinicles are nice but not sure about them in June. Dirt tracks and hire car??????

Please be mindful of kangaroos and if you are not use to driving open roads then add extra time. Busselton is lovely and heaps to see and do down there but windy roads down south so allow extra time for that. If you like wildlife make sure you check out the birds of prey in busselton. Then you have the tree top walk. Lots to see and do.

I would recomend only 3 hours driving a day to allow for you to see stuff.

Fremantle is the best on weekend. Sandrinos is my fav restaurant. Accomadation is lacking in freo but it's easy to train it from Perth.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

Accommodation is lacking in Freo????????

There may not be a stack of mega hotels but there is certainly plenty of accommodation in the form of boutique hotels, B and Bs and self catering apartments and houses.

"birds of prey in busselton"- do you mean Eagles Heritage in Margaret River? Certainly well worth a visit but the OP will spend a long time searching in Busselton.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please comment on my plan / itinerary

The bird park is the one where they have the eagles flight demonstration. I found it no problems and I was a visitor.

As far as freo I have stayed in several of the accomadations and found them all to be very over priced and run down but that's my opinion and we are entitled to share it.

Please watch the way you bag someone's reply, we are only giving opinions and everyone view is different.