We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Perth Secrets

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Any Perth Secrets

I am going to be entertaining relatives from Scotland for a week at the end of March and wondered if there are any special places I haven't thought about. My plans so far are

Sunday - family picnic in Kings Park

Monday - train into city - coffee at C restaurant and ferry across to South Perth for nice city view.

Tuesday and Wednesday we are going to Kalgoorlie

Thursday Peel Zoo - has anyone been there? carry on to Mandurah - 1 hour canal trip and Rockingham for maybe fish and chips on the beach and watch the sunset - any recommendations

Friday The beaches - Freo and along to Scarborough

Saturday and Sunday - haven't planed anything maybe the Swan Valley

Thanks for any ideas

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,229 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Perth Secrets

York and Toodyay?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Perth Secrets

On my last visit my WA friend took me to Hilary's for a long lunch. I thought the setting and the whole ambience of the marina with its cafes and restaurants right on the water was memorable.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Perth Secrets

If you're going to Swan Valley do consider the Wildlife Park at Whiteman Park.

I had always thought it would be a bit tacky, but went there a couple of years ago with visiting rellies and we had the best time.

We did the chocolate factory on the way there (just happened to time it with a demo), and a long lunch at Sandleford's afterwards. The latter was a bit on the pricey side, but the service was spectacular. We were able to taste a few wines beforehand, and decide which one we wanted with our lunch.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Perth Secrets

Here are a few things that we've enjoyed:

Capt Cook cruise to Freo from Barrack Street Jetty with lunch at Little Creatures, a walk through Freo and a visit to the didgeridoo shop for a demo and a hand at trying one out. There's a nice Australian timbers store in Freo too - great place to oogle the goods.

Caversham Wildlife Park as mentioned above. If you get there right when they open at 9 and plan to see the morning shows, you'll have plenty of time to wander and still fit in a nice lunch in the Swan Valley (we like Lamont's - Thurs-Sun only) and a few brewery/winery/food/art outlets.

Perhaps a visit to the Perth Hills? Bickley and Chittering Valleys? The Araluen Botantic Park with a lunch stop in Roleystone or Kalamunda?

Maybe a visit to the zoo while you're in South Perth. I haven't been to Peel Zoo, but thought about it...until a poster here described what the place looked like following the feeding of the Tassie devils!

We liked Betty Blue Bistro in Rockingham - great food and right on the water. Enjoyed Penguin Island too.

Too bad the Heritage Tea Rooms in Pinjarra have closed - that would work well with the visit to Peel Zoo.

Maybe a drive up to New Norcia for a tour and lunch at the hotel?

A visit to Jarrahdale for a nice ($$$) lunch at Millbrook Winery and perhaps a wander on a walk trail?

A stop at MacNuts in Baldivis (which can be combined with your visit to Peel...you might like Peel Estate Winery too, we did.

Yanchep Nat't Park? John Forrest Nat'l Park? Walyunga Nat'l Park? A stroll around Lake Monger or in Bold Park?

AQWA?

An early morning drive to Pinnaroo Memorial Park to see masses of kangaroos in a natural environment?

So much to see and do, so little time!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Perth Secrets

I think you're going to need to weeks from all the info you've bene given.

No one has mentioned Rotto ... that's something different. A visit to the bakery, hire some bikes and a late lunch at the Rotto pub. How much more Aussie can you get?

You see more of Perth when you have visitors, so it'll be a nice learning curve for you as well.

Have fun .. and make sure they eat the vegemite, not smell it...!

Western Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Perth Secrets

Scrap kalgoorlie. I'm sure your guests don't need to sit in a car for 15 hours out of 48. Better off staying a night at York like someone suggested or busselton. The rest it's going to be busy but sounds good. Pinjarra pie shop is fab. Peel zoo is great. Nice change from Perth zoo.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
237 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Perth Secrets

Hi all thanks for all your great suggestions.

Haven't been to Yanchep for years so will try and fit that in as well as Hillary - should be able to do that in one trip. Unfortunately they especially want to go to Kalgoorlie as that is where my grandparents went to from Scotland and so they want to go there. I was born and lived there for 25 years and its been a few years since I have been back -don't really fancy the drive though. Also the Perth mint has been in the news lately so will try and go there when we go into the city. As Eaglemaniac said its nice to be a tourist in you own city

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Perth Secrets

You could always do the train or fly to Kal and rent a car there ?

I think its a good addition to the itinerary and they obviously have a connection to the place.

perth
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Perth Secrets

Re the Heritage Tearooms in Pinjarra ... they are reported to be re-opening " before Easter," 8th April is Easter sunday.

Obviously we have no way, yet, of knowing if they will be as good as the original.

I will confirm an opening date when I have more details.

I think the Peel Zoo is worth a visit ... it is small, but .

There is a new Chocolate Factory on Husband Road, ... it is a right turn at the traffic lights on the Pinjarra to Mandurah road, about, a guess 14-15 kms from Pinjarra .

It may be on the site of the now closed Abingdon Miniature Village and Maze.

Pinjarra Patisserie, the pie shop, has great " home made" pies, a bit pricey I think, but worth trying, great variety.

lennyb

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,229 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Perth Secrets

I'm told sections of the train ride to Kal are scenic, though with most of the vegetation yellow from the summer heat I'm not sure it's as scenic as it might be :-)

Edited: 16 March 2012, 14:56