We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

We are looking at leaving Perth on a Saturday morning and returning on the tuesday night. It will cost us £240 for the campervan with full cover or £115 for a car, but then we have to pay for accomodation. We are thinking about heading down to Margret River then Albany.

What do people recommend car or van? we are trying to do the cheapest option but if we pay for accomodation on the road I guess the car will be more expensive. Can we just stop the campervan anywhere?

Has anyone got any sort of route for us to take as we have know idea of distances and times for planning our route as we would not want to drive in the dark as we heard it can be dangerous.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Scott

perth
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

Hi scott n, to get the best info we need to know more ... when are you coming, month I mean, not just " leaving Perth on a Saturday " etc.

You need to do some research yourself as to places/ things etc that interest you , beaches, wineries etc,.

IMO to get to Albany and back in 4 days does not leave much time for stopping and seeing things ... and it isn't wise to drive on our country roads around sunset and after, as you are likely to " meet " some Aussie animals you'd rather not have any " contact " with.

More info from you, please.

lennyb

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

As lennyb says - a bit more info would help us suggest a driving route and places to see depending on your interests.

However, with only 3 nights allocated, fitting in both Albany and MR would be a rush. I suggest you concentrate on just the one region. Which one will depend on your interests

Perth to Albany - Allow 5 hours driving time plus stopping for meals, breaks etc.

or Perth to Margaret River approx 3 hours driving time plus breaks

If driving a campervan I would add another 30mins or so (they tend to travel slower particularly with tourists not familiar to our roads)

Unfortunately you cannot pull over and camp anywhere you like. You would have to stay at designated camping/caravan parks so you should factor that cost in. Also petrol consumption in a campervan would be higher than in a small hire car. A campervan also has its drawbacks in parking/navigating in townships.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

its 7th of July we will be in Perth

Scott

perth
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

our school holidays start on 6th July.

I suspect that means may be a problem with accommodation.

Some else on this forum will know more about that.

July here is winter, maybe warmer for you .... if Aberdeen is Scotland.

Do you actually arrive in Perth, from Aberdeen on the Saturday ?

If so, you won't want to be driving anywhere, especially on a long road trip

" down south ".

Scott, we really need more info ... how many of you, what ages, interests,

any " must sees " for you.

lennyb

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

If you can find accommodation in Margaret River, I'd hire a car and base there for 3 nights. Shorter trips means less petrol as well.

Because its school holidays, even the caravan parks may be full .. altho in winter I doubt it... but the good ones go first .. so you never know.

www.margaretriver.com

This website will help you and give you ideas on what's available and costs.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

Another reason to get a car is it will be fairly cold and you would be more comfortable with a place with heating. Check the prices of of caravan park chalets, they are often a cheaper option, or holiday cottages. As the others have suggested, with only four days Albany is doable but only if you want to tick boxes, you won't have much time to do more than get there and say, "well I've been to Albany".

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

Being July, you will also need to factor in shorter daylight hours. For example, Albany will have approx 10 hours of daylight in July with sunrise approx 7.15 and sunset approx 5.10. Sunset is around 15 minutes later in Perth metro area. It rains more in Albany and is colder than in Perth.

I love the SW in winter. With your time frame, I'd consider driving to the MR region and a day trip to Pemberton whilst there to see the big trees but not as far as Albany.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

I love Albany, although it can be cold and blustery in July - tho' perhaps you would feel at home! I think a camper van would work quite well there, although there are some lovely places to stay in town, we usually stay in self contained accomodation and we always book through this site: www.amazingalbany.com.au/accommodation.asp

I loved staying in this place, it was very homely and had a fantastic view of the harbour:

http://www.albanyoakview.com/

If you want to camp, there are some VERY basic camping sites around Albany that have fantastic locations and views, but basic amenities such as drop dunnies! Usually very cheap and perfect for your camper van. I love Two People Bay and Shelley Beach, see this link for some info about the camping options:

exploreaustralia.net.au/Western-Australia/…

And this link gives you more info about Albany, particularly Two People Bay:

rainbowcoast.com.au/areas/…twopeoplesbay.htm

I would just be a bit concerned about camping in Winter - may be wet, windy and boggy and I would rather be snuggled up in a nice little cottage somewhere! This is quite a good caravan park in a lovely location in Albany that would be a good spot to stay if you took your camper trailer option: middleton-beach-holiday-park.wa.big4.com.au/

Margaret River is lovely too, but for me Albany is more scenic! It is a longer drive, but a good straightforward road trip (on Albany Highway) from Perth, although like the other posters said, it's not a good idea to drive after sundown - too many kangaroos!!

Hope that helps!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

hi,

We arrive in perth on the tuesday so spending 4 nights in the centre of Perth. We then intend to rent a car and travel for a couple of days.

We are both in our 20's and are interested in seeing the whales maybe. I heard this is possible in Albany?

Thanks

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
215 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Campervan or Car? 4 day trip

You are probably a bit early to see Whales, they don't start migrating until around May/June. Albany is a great place to visit anyway, but I would doubt you would see any whales, sorry! You would most likely see Dolphins in Mandurah, Rockingham or Bunbury, but that's probably as close as you would get!