We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with the Gaps

adelaide
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
Help with the Gaps

Hi all

A sudden, last minute trip.I am bringing my intellectually disabled brother over to watch his Beloved CROWS play.He has to use up his holidays.

Am hiring a car from Bayswater Car Rental and am staying in South Perth.

After a rushed Look at TA below are my thoughts. Most days can be swapped around easily bar the SAT - Footy

Any suggestions / tips to help fill in the gaps would be much appreciated.

My brother's mobility is the only limiting factor. Walks fine but just can't all day, hence the car.

WED 30 MAY - ADEL – PERTH 12.40 PM

Pick up Car (Bayswater Car Rental) , travel to unit – South Perth, food shop, relax

THUR 31 MAY - CITY SIGHTS

Ferry to Perth. Information Centre, City sights (suggestions ??) Back to unit

Afternoon drive to Kings Park so as to hopefully see sunset

( Best spot?)

FRI 1 JUNE - MANDURAH

self drive

Abington Miniture Village, Bouvard Cruise 12 noon,

(how long is this drive btw?)

SAT 2 JUNE - FOOTBALL

CROWS - 2.40 PATTERSON STADIUM

SUN 3 JUNE - BEACH DRIVE

self drive – Freemantle to ??? ( not sure how far to go up coast)

AQWA, Freemantle Maritime Museum, Hillaries Boat Harbour

MON 4 JUN - SWAN VALLEY

Self drive, then Whiteman’s Explorer Bus

Whiteman Park, Caversham Wildlife Park, Revolutions Transport Museum,

TUE 5 JUNE PERTH ZOO

PERTH 4.50PM – ADEL

Thanks & sorry its ended up a tad long

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with the Gaps

Thurs 31 May - Kings Park faces East and South. Not the best location for a sunset. Suggest a beach instead...any beach.

Fri 1 June - Drive to Mandurah from South Perth takes approx 1hr (outside peak traffic times)

Sat 2 June - Football - my commiserations at Crows inevitable loss :)

Sun 3 June - Drive probably as far as AQWA. Make sure you deviate off West Coast Hwy and onto West Coast Drive (follows close to the coast)

adelaide
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with the Gaps

Thanks A J

Just what I was looking for.

Hadn't thought about orientation of Kings Park so beach it will be.

Plenty of time for the Mandurah drive. Is there an alternative drive back so it's like a loop? or not worth it?

Is there a great place for fish & chips on the Sunday drive up the coast, overlooking the ocean?

GO CROWS is all I will say - playing like champions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with the Gaps

The idea of the ferry across the river to the Barrack Street Jetty sounds good, although it's a fair walk from there to the visitor centre on the corner of Hay Street and William Street.

While in the city, have a walk through London Court ... it starts from St Georges Terrace and goes through to the Hay Street Mall. It's a nice little arcade.

You can go to Mandurah along the freeway, there is an entrance on Mill Point Road to turn left onto the freeway, heading south. You'll be going against the traffic, so it should take about an hour.

Once there come off at Pinjarra Road - and then turn right to go into Mandurah .. and turn right just before the jetty to go into the area where you can park and go along the estuary, which is on the left hand side. You can park here and there is some restaurants on the waterfront where you can have lunch. Hopefully it'll be a sunny day, as its really nice there.

To return to Perth, you can go along the coast road through Rockingham ... and check out the foreshore there ... then return to the city, via Thomas Road and the freeway ... you can get off at Mill Point Road exit, which is just before the Narrows Bridge .. so once you pass Canning Hwy exit, stay in the far left lane to exit at Mill Point.

I agree with AJ about the footy, what a waste of a day for you..!

Your game ticket means you get free transport to Subiaco Oval and back again.

You best bet is to get on at the Canning Hwy station and there are special football trains, which take you right to the oval ... and again when the game is finished, and you've run out of tissues, go back to West Leederville Station and to the left is the special train for south of the river. You could probably park the car in the streets around the station, or get the ferry over to Perth and walk to the Esplanade Station - which is over near the Convention Centre. I live north, so I don't even know if the football train stops at the Esplanade, but I'll find out for you.

I could be eating my words after the game ....!!!

Drive to Fremantle along Canning Hwy right into the city and there is a few parking spots.

Sunday will be busy as the Fremantle markets will be open ... but you can have a nice lunch on the waterfront at Fishermans Harbour... including Kailis and Cicerellos for fish 'n chips ... or have something else and get that meal further up the coast.

From Fremantle you need to cross over the bridge and drive along to Jarrard Street in Cottesloe (before that the road is very winding) ... go straight ahead on Jarrard and it'll take you down to Cottesloe Beach.

Then head north along the water to North Street .. turn right and at the traffic lights turn left.

This road will then take you north through City Beach, Scarborough and Trigg Beaches. Scarborough is one of the biggest and nicest beaches, so I do advise a stop here for a look.

Just past the huge Rendezvous Hotel (about half a km) is the turnoff for Sunset Drive .. this will take you all along the coast to Hillarys Boat Harbour and AQWA. You can get fish 'n chips here ... or any meal as there are lots of restaurants and shops here, built above the water. Actually, I'm a fan of Grilled Burgers there ... just yummy. You could even watch the sunset here.

To return to Perth head out of the Hillarys Boat Harbor and at the roundabout head east .. to join the freeway south - its about 3 or 4 kilometres from the roundabout, through a couple of sets of traffic lights.

The freeway will take you right into the city, as you approach the city you need to stay in the right hand lane to go over the Narrows Bridg to South Perth. Once you approach the bridge, get into the left hand lane to get off at the Mill Point Road exit.

At the Swan Valley, I can suggest a stop at the Margaret River chocolate factory on West Swan Road -- I love their hot chocolate .. and just inside the door there is free samples....!

I do hope you enjoy your stay here ... and see all what you want to see, and if the Crows win, it'll make your day ... but gosh I hope not. I'll be there too, and the opposition supporters are scattered all over, but the majority sit behind the city end goals... good luck...!

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with the Gaps

The free transport to and from the footy is valid for 3 hours after the game finishes. You could wander around Subi for a looksee after the game to avoid the crush on the trains. Crowds at the train platform are generally dispersed within an hour of game finish. Subi will be quite busy as its a Saturday night and Dockers fans will also be celebrating Adelaide's crushing loss (hehe) but you may enjoy the buzz and grab a bite to eat at one of many restaurants/cafes.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with the Gaps

Have a look at this link:

…wa.gov.au/UsingTransperth/Highfrequencybuss…

It's about the free CAT buses that go around the city - the blue CAT goes from the Barrack Street Jetty up into the city and to Northbridge...so you could get on it there and get off at Hay Street.

Also on this link to the left is a link for visitors to Perth.

The football train from Mandurah, stops at Canning Bridge, then is express to Subiaco Oval .. so you won't be able to get the train from the Esplanade, so parking the car near Canning Bridge will be your only option... unless you go into the city by ferry, CAT bus to the city station, Perth City station being on Wellington Street and take the train on the Fremantle line (Not the Perth Underground station). Then from Perth City to West Leederville Station for the football ... you can also get it to and from Subiaco Station as the oval is in between the two. West Leederville is the second stop from Perth, after West Perth .. and Subiaco is after that. Remember your ticket provides the free travel on buses, ferries and the train, so that's one good thing about the day.

Don't even think about driving into Subiaco ... the parking there is ferocious on footy days and there are no parking signs within about 2 kilometres of the oval .. unless you go to the Colonnade Parking Station in Hay Street and pay an horrendous fee. But that could be a long walk for your brother. The parking inspectors act like God on those days, so they take no excuses.

Before and after the game, Subiaco is packed with fans eating and drinking ... it's a big day out for us.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with the Gaps

Oh .. I've jut realised you're playing Fremantle ... gosh I hope you win!!

Sorry about that.

It's a long weekend that weekend in Perth, so everything will be busy including the Swan Valley ...

adelaide
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with the Gaps

Wow!! So much useful info

Thanks again A J

and Eaglemaniac, had a chuckle and am so glad you will be cheering for us.

All the directions & info on transport to footy( Patterson Stadiun - Subiaco) is greatly appreciated. Figured the car would be a bad idea.

Didn't realize it was a long weekend. It's the following weekend for us in SA. Could be why I found it hard to find our accommodation.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with the Gaps

Monday June 4 looks awfully busy to me. Caversham can easily fill half a day, which limits your time in the Swan Valley, let alone Whiteman Park and the museum.

Days are very short in the Swan Valley (!) - Caversham opens at 9, most wineries open at 10 and close between 4-5. Suggest you plan your day at Caversham to fit in the shows - we managed to fit all the shows, a good walk around and feeding the roos in about three hours, but we turned up right at 9 am and planned pretty well.

http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,787 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with the Gaps

At the Barrack St jetty a free CAT bus stops and will take you up into town after a bit of a detour further east along the river and then a scenic drive through the Esplanade Bus Station :-) if walking is too far. Also the CAT bus finishes its loop down William St then goes back to the jetty or the trip back.

Be careful on the footy train, it can be a bit of a scrum when there's so many people to move at once- at least you'll be packed in like a sardine so no chance of falling over but be prepared to fight your way to the exit as your stop nears :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with the Gaps

That will be two weeks in a row you will be disappointed then Eaglemaniac...

Nothing like a Dockers supporter living in Adelaide....

Except maybe a Power supporter living in Perth...

Have a great trip Wendy but you will enjoy getting back to Adelaide. Perth Airport is a zoo...