We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PinnacleS

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PinnacleS

My wife is interested to go to pinnacles. Appreciate assistance on following:

1. From Fremantle, how much time is required to do pinnacles ?

2. Is self drive recommended?

3. What are 3 or 4 to do activities/ sights and the good times of the day, if relevant.

4 if we do by tour, what are the expected times of departure and the eta. Thanks a tonne

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PinnacleS

Have a look at the tours listed on the official tourism site and that will give you a good start to most of your questions.

http://www.westernaustralia.com/au/Search/Pages/Search.aspx?k=the+pinnacles&cat=None&simple=true

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PinnacleS

It's a long drive and would be good to take a tour as mentioned above. Then you can relax and enjoy it all.

Karratha, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PinnacleS

From Perth it's a 3 hour drive one way if you don't stop to sight see as you're going. So I would suggest getting some accommodation over night if you're not keen on making it a rushed trip. My sister used to live there many years ago when it was just a sleepy crayfishing (rock lobster) town and there wasn't much to do there except see the pinnacles. Not much has changed except the town has grown bigger. Not much else to do there unless you are into fishing, diving and walking along the beach.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PinnacleS

If you're comfortable driving on the left, there's no reason you can't drive yourself.

The drive is a wee bit shorter than it used to be since the extension of the Indian Ocean Drive was completed a few years back. Expect the drive to take between 2-2.5 hours from Perth, plus an additional 30-40 minutes from Fremantle, longer if you make stops along the way.

I suggest at least one night in Cervantes. The Pinnacles are best viewed and photographed at dawn and dusk and because it's not wise to drive in country WA after dawn or before dusk (wildlife) spending a night makes sense.

Keep in mind that Nambung National Park (Pinnacles) is a 17 km drive from the town of Cervantes. The Discovery Center closes at 4:30, so I suggest you get there 30-40 minutes prior to closure so you can spend a bit of time at the Discovery Center before heading out to view the Pinnacles.

Dusk will of course depend on time of year. The sun is currently setting around 5:30.

Accommodation in Cervantes is a bit subpar IMO. With one notable exception - Windbreak B&B, which I highly recommend.

Cervantes is very small with limited dining options, but you won't go hungry.

You can either walk or drive through the Pinnacles. There's a nice loop trail if you enjoy walking. It's a great way to see the formations up close and as I recall it only takes about 45 minutes or so to walk the loop.

You might also be interested in nearby Hanson Bay, where a 70 step climb will take you to a lookout for views of Cervantes, Lake Thetis and some neighboring islands. There's also a boardwalk that leads to a viewing area overlooking stromatolites and a trail that circles the lake.

North of Cervantes is Jurian Bay, a fishing community that I found very interesting, particularly all the Norfolk pines. On the return drive to Perth, you might want to call in at Gin Gin, a small town in the Perth Hills. It makes a good stop for lunch or coffee.

Enjoy WA.

PS - Expect flies at the Pinnacles

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PinnacleS

Thanks all for replies, all useful and esp meinq8's.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PinnacleS

I also suggest staying overnight at Cervantes so you can appreciate the region.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g580524-d258…

7. Re: PinnacleS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:17