We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

Hi All,

I've got relatives coming to Perth this week and they want to try outback/game meat like kangaroo, emu, crocodile, etc. I've been recommended Hippo Creek and Zebras but they are both African-themed restaurants - my relatives would like to try Australian style. I've tried googling and found Coolgardie Safe but it seems they are no longer in business - both numbers I found have been disconnected. I'm running out of google search words. Can someone please please advise where we can get such food in Perth? Thanks!!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,957 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

www.urbanspoon.com lists a few, I have no experience of any of them but you could trawl through their reviews:

urbanspoon.com/f/338/36735/Perth/Native-Aust…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

there is a place in East Perth that serves Aussie game. for the life of me I am drawing a blank on the name and I have limited net access at the moment so I cant do a search. But do a restaurant search for East Perth and you should find it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

You can buy roo steaks & mince for human consumption at both Coles & Woolies supermarkets, so you could cook your own.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

Hi Yorkfoodie - thanks for that but most of the restaurants on that list are either abit too far or for those that are relatively near, unfortunately their current day menu doesn't have game meat except for perhaps a rabbit dish or a marron dish.

Hi PerfectlyPerth - I googled east perth game meat restaurant I got 150 East Riverside or the Coolgardie Sate in East Perth. Coolgardie doesn't seem to exist anymore and the 150 East RIverside only has rabbit and marron. sigh..

Hi PerthiteOz - We could but don't know how to cook it and it wouldn't be the right taste. Thought it might be a better experience to get it at a proper restaurant.

Thanks everybody.. How is it so difficult! :( I need this for dinner tomorrow. :(

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

Kangaroo mince - cook the same as any mince - make burgers :-)

Kangaroo steaks - medium with a nice red wine jus. Not hard!

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

The Vic Hotel in Subi has Kangaroo Rump

Friends restaurant also has Kangaroo on the menu.

And Outback Jacks has Kangaroo & Crocodile skewers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

Hi All

I've found that the Lava Stonegrill has a Game Platter at $ 34.90 with vension steak, crocodile fillet, kangaroo steak and wild boar served with

bush tomato chutney & brandy peppercorn sauce.Sounds like an ideal mixture for a tasting platter but the reviews of that place sounds awful. :(

Alternatively would be to go to Hippo Creek or Zebras - despite being African themed, but they do have ostrich buffalo and croc.

Seems difficult to find 1 restaurant with everything., Might have to complete the experience over two different places then. =/

Anyway thank you everybody for your input! :)

8. Re: Urgent: Native Australian Food Restaurants???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 06:17