We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

Hello all,

I will be traveling with my family and infant daughter (5 of us in all) for a one-week vacation in Perth in end-September.

Our flight in from Singapore is scheduled to arrive at 4.30am and we're a little at a loss as to what we can do between 5am and 2pm, when we can check in at the serviced apartment we will be staying at.

We'll be arriving on a Saturday morning, after a 5 hour flight, so any suggestions for a place where the family can relax and unwind would be perfect. We will be renting a car, so venues a slight distance away (nothing more than an hour?) are possible as well.

Looking forward to some great ideas from you guys!

Danny

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,337 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

Frankly, I'd rent the apartment from the night before and move straight in, especially with an infant. For me the extra cost would be well worth it.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 15:39
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,337 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

By the way, hope you've organised an infant capsule/seat for your little girl in the car. This is mandatory and no, you can't bring one from home.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

I agree .... so much easier ... let the hotel know what time your flight arrives.

perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

Drive to King Park and see the sun rise over the hills, beautiful at that time of the morning. Parking will be easy at that time of day.

Subiaco (10 mins drive from kings park) for Breakfast. Caffe Vero opens at 7.30 I think and has a back room with tv, couch and a kiddy area.

There is a bakery in Subiaco called Chez jean claude, buy some prepared baguettes for lunch and drive to Perth's many parks and beaches.

Shops open at 9am.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

Good suggestions given-either book night before at apartment or head to Kings ParkSubiaco or walk at Cottesloe Beach along the path-both great to welcome the day . Will be around 6am till you clear customs etc and get going. Traffic will be light and you can join the walkers/joggers/cyclist at either destinations. Some cafes should be open and you can have breakfast. If nice weather enjoy picnics in the morning and your little one can nap in the spring sunshine. As others have said the Lotterywest playground in Kings Park is great for the under 6 year olds

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas - I'm gonna go with the booking of an extra night if available, but I now have a few places to fall back on. Thanks all!

Danny

UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

I have a similar dilemma - though not the child issue. Our hotel in Fremantlw wants AS250 for us to check in early so we will be following the advice you are giving (cannot cancel the hotel given the type of reservation we have or I would have!).

We are thinking of dumping our luggage at the hotel and then hitting a beach near Fremantle (we have no car). Is there a beach near where we can rent chairs to lie in (catchup on sleep)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

We don't do chairs on the beach like the UK, unless you bring your own. If you are staying at the Esplanade Hotel in Freo (which at $250 sounds like it), they have a pool with loungers, you may be able to crash there but doubt whether would be quiet.

Me? With a very early arrival, I always go for the pay extra for the room no matter the cost. In the bigger scheme of things, it is a small price to pay to get the holiday off on the right track. JMO.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

You can catch the blue cat bus (free) starts at 7.30 in the morning and get off near South Beach-ask the driver or check the map on link.

fremantle.wa.gov.au/sustainability/CAT_bus

If the weather is nice you will be able to lie out on a towel on the grass and have a snooze-2 cafes are there as well. Not sure when you are arriving but if summer take sunscreen, hat, water bottle and find shade under the trees.

You can also stroll across Esplanade, cross railway line and head to the ocean-Bathers Beach.

Plenty to do in Fremantle whilst you wait for check in.

10. Re: Early morning arrival - ideas for activities till check-in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 07:17