We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

I live in the UK and an taking a cruise from Singapore to Sydney. I have annual insurance which covers me for cruises.

I am taking my SIL with me but she lives in Perth WA. She will fly to Singapore to join The Cruise Singapore to Sydney she needs a policy for 17 nights I know that a lot of the time they don't bother to take insurance but with a cruise there is the posibility of having to be airlifted from the ship. Celebrity the Cruise company insist on insurance and red you are required to disclose the Insurance Company and an emergency telephone company etc. I am trying to look on line for such a policy. My SIL is an Australian Citizen with anAustralian passport. Would be grateful if you can point me in the right direction She is now 64 but will be 65 just before the cruise starts. Many thanks Sue

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

COTA has a good travel policy for seniors at reasonable rate.

Also may be worth checking whether she would be covered by her credit card's Travel insurance policy.

Family members became ill on a cruise & has excellent service & claims handling from Covermore.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

If she has private health insurance, they too usually have travel insurance.

I would never, ever, leave the country without it. You hear too many bad stories.

I did Covermore once, took out a 12 month travel policy and had problems .. ended up taking them to the Insurance Council and I won. But each to their own experience I suppose.

Tell her to speak to her health insurance people if she does have private health, or get some brochures from a travel agent. They usually use a few companies.

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

Will do I am not sure what private medical they have but they certainly do have it. I think they are going to have to sort that out at their end. Too difficult for me from this end especially for any existing medical problems, Not that Eileen does not have many health problems but she has seen a Rheumatologist so would need to declare this She is 64 at present but will be 65 by the time the holiday starts. Thanks again for your advice it is appreciated

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

She's just a young lady .. and I'm sure you'll both have lots of fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

Sorry to hear about your less than stellar Covermore experience, Eaglemaniac. My cousins were both in their 70's at the time, and had significant medical & re-arrangement of trip costs. They called Covermore and got immediate clearance for the medical sections and apparently very good assistance with changing their travel & accommodation arrangements.

I was surprised how quickly their claims were settled - something like 2 weeks for the cheque, I think.

I had annual Covermore policies for years but moved to COTA because they had all the cover I needed at a substantially reduced price for "seniors" (over 60 in Australia).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

I have used covermore regularly since 2007 and have made two claims that I did not remotely think they would cover but they did - without quibble or delay.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

We have pretty good cover attached to our ANZ Platinum CC. You just have to buy $250 worth of your holiday prior to leaving Australia. We use it to buy airfares. It worked very well when Nick was hospitalised in France and they were prepared to evacuate him if necessary.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

That's good to know, LynnB. I have a platinum ANZ, but was a bit tentative about relying on their travel insurance for anything serious. Should have read the PDS properly!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

I have to say our contact in Oz was fantastic. So reassuring and helpful. And they had their doc in Paris talk to and liaise with Nick's doc in Dinan so there were no misunderstandings. The only difficulty was having evidence we had spent the $250 before leaving Oz, as the insurance is actually with an insurer, not ANZ. In the end it was easier to put it on the CC and claim it back from them once home. Now we travel with the proof.

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance for a cruise Australian Citizen

Not really understanding the $250 prior to leaving OZ Is this spending on a card or is it paying for part of the trip. My Brother or SIL would understand I suppose. A little more information would help. Thanks for the advice it really is useful

Sue