We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaret river with a baby

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Margaret river with a baby

Hi everyone!

I am booked to stay in Margaret river for a weekend in late August (vintages) and was hoping to get some feedback on things to do/ see in MR.

It will be a fairly easygoing weekend, I'm not trying to pack everything in as I'm sure we'll return to MR at some other stage. Anyway when we planned our trip we had intended to go while I was pregnant but put it off so much that now we have a little third person to bring with us :) hence why some of the activities are no longer suitable.

Accommodation is sorted, transport sorted, eating settlers tavern one night and winos another- both child friendly it seems.

Things to see and do - stop at busselton jetty along the way, olive oil factory, chocolate factory, maze, lighthouse, canal rocks, whale watching? Don't need child-friendly activities to keep baby entertained but do need child- friendly activities in terms of access etc.

Caves- was very eager to explore some of these but with a very new baby would this be feasible? Carrying baby in a sling/ harness? Probably not in my opinion but let me know yours!

Vineyards- what MR is famous for and would love to see the production process etc but my husband doesn't drink wine at all and I can't drink alcohol at the moment so is there any point in the tours? Are they mainly tasting sessions or is there more to it? Any recommendations bearing in mind we probably won't return for another tour so it'll be a one off.

Thanks in advance!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margaret river with a baby

Hmmm re the caves. Mammoth is a flat entrance where you could wheel in a stroller and back out again - able to see a "reasonable" amount of cave from that vantage point - but its not the one with the most "wow factor".

Baby in a sling or backpack. To be honest I would say no - but thats just me. I am not keen on stairs (phobic) and would not want my focus taken away. If you are confident enough and can handle the balance and weight - then go for it. Caves do get a lot chillier than above ground so take that into account when dressing bub - you will be exerting yourself but bub wont.

The wine tours I have been on have been all about the tasting and the food. I honestly cant think of any that do behind the scenes anymore. Someone else out there may know of some.

The other favourite thing of mine in the region is just the sheer number of art/craft places. Keep your eyes out as you drive along for little signposts to a glass maker, or a pottery place, or the gorgeous Boronup Wood place. So many of them to pull in to and check out lovely stuff made by talented locals.

And if you like history - Ellensbrook Homestead is nice and as well as the buildings and garden there is a lovely boardwalk through the bush past a little grotto

australiassouthwest.com/Listing/Ellensbrook_…

Also recommend the Eagles Heritage Wildlife Rescue Centre

http://www.eaglesheritage.com.au/

Great walk in the bush going past the huge aviaries of healing owls, hawks and eagles. Also has a flying feeding display by a couple of the permenant residents.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margaret river with a baby

If you can get all the way down to Augusta, the Cape Leeuwin lighthouse is interesting and scenic. Another vote for Eagles Heritage. Pop out to look at the surf at Surfers Point, Prevelly. if neither of you are drinking then drive yourself as a tour probably won't be worth it.

If you haven't already - have a look at www.margaretriver.com

Edited: 22 July 2012, 09:21
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Margaret river with a baby

Some wineries conduct their own behind-the-scenes tours if you dont want to take on a full or half day tour around the region...and at a fraction of the cost.

Here's 2 that I know of at Voyager and Cape Mentelle:

voyagerestate.com.au/the-estate/…estate-tour

http://www.capementelle.com.au/Experience

Perhaps lob in to one of the wineries and chat to the staff to see if its suitable for you.

4. Re: Margaret river with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:17