We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on my itinerary

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on my itinerary

I'll be traveling to Perth for the very first time on Aug 11 for 6 days with hubby and a 16-mth old girl. Here is what i have planned and would appreciate any feedback, or suggestions of places which i shouldnt miss :-)

Day 1, Sat- Arrive in Perth at 6.25am. Pick up car at airport and check in apartment at Riverside. Since it's the first day, decide to take it slow and explore the Kings Park and the city

Day 2, Sun - Freemantle. Visit Freemantle Prison (is it worth going?), weekend market, Fisherman Harbour, Cappuccino St.

Day 3, Mon - Caversham Wildlife, Cuddly Animal Farm, Swan Valley (any suggestion for lunch) and if time allows, AQWA

Day 4, Tue - Drive to MR. Stop over at Bunbury (visit Dolphin Discovery Centre). Any suggestions on where else i should drop by along the way? Check in hotel at MR.

Day 5, Wed - Drive to Augusta for Cape Leeuwin, will i get any luck to catch some whales?? Plan to do Berry Farm, Simmos Ice Cremery as well.

Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

I suggest only one wildlife park, and I'd go for Caversham. I highly recommend Lamont's for lunch (Swan Valley), but they're only open Thurs-Sun, so that's a consideration. Some of the larger wineries (Oakover, Houghton) serve meals most days. Penny Garden is open most days too - I've not eaten there, but have heard it's good, and the bonus is that they're right next door to Yahava Koffeeworks (wonderful coffee).

I sincerely doubt you'll fit AQWA into Day 3, as it's in the opposite direction of the Swan Valley and they're only open from 10-5.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Penny Garden is a nice lunch spot ... so is the Black Swan Winery... both on West Swan Road. The Margaret River chocolate factory is just about opposite the Penny Garden .. and has a fenced in grassed area where your daughter can run around under your watchful eye while you have a delicious hot chocolate and chocolate brownie! Delicious. Saves you going to the one in Margaret River itself.

I agree with Mel .. forget AQWA -- too far out of the way to do in the same day.

Simmos Ice Cream is close to Dunsborough, so you could do that on the way to Margaret River on day one.

On the way back, you could call into Mandurah and have a nice lunch on the estuary ...

I hope you enjoy your stay in our wonderful country.... but bring some warm clothes .. we've had wonderful sunny days, but the mornings have been cold.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Good advice from Mel and Eaglemaniac. As to Fremantle Prison, I've been twice and find it quite interesting, but a 16 month old might get a bit wriggly as there are periods of standing around listening to the guide explain stuff.

You might also visit the Busselton Underwater Observatory on your way to or from MR. Near MR do call into the Candy Cow in Cowaramup, they have the best fudge (better than MR fudge IMO).

Yes, bring warm layered clothes, you might want to wear just a shirt walking around in the middle of the day but mornings and evenings you'll want rather more.

Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

Thanks all for the advice! I will take AQWA out then. Any thoughts on the whale watching tour? Is it the time of the year to catch them in action?

Perth
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

When you go to Caversham Wildlife Park, your 16 month old might like to spend more time in Whiteman Park (the townsite is 50 metres away from Wildlife Park). You can take her on a tram ride, and while it is winter, the weather is changeable at the moment and there is a toddler play pool. A wonderful large playground is also on site , dont confuse it with the small one next to the paddling pool. If you go on the weekend then the village is open, all of the shops open up and it comes to life. Lovely walking paths of differing lengths (all manageable with a toddler in a stroller). You should naturally see kangaroos, i often do. Their is a vintage car museum on site and a short stroll away has another charming museum to peek at. Their is a teller machine at the cafe only. Make sure you take sunglasses and hats in Perth, the light is harsher than in the east.

6. Re: Feedback on my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:17